Met Obama last night at dinner

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I may lose a bet about the number of senate seats lost, so I may be gone from Anandtech for a month. But, at least I had a positive thing. So, I'm making this brag thread.

I took a weekend trip to Chicago and wanted to eat at Frontera Grill (ran by Rick Bayless from the PBS food show). It just happens to be a few blocks from Obama's home and a favorite of Obama. I didn't know he was in town, until he walked into the restaurant.

Politics aside, he was a nice guy. Shook everyone's hands. Here is a snapshot that I got of him. Obama looks like he is checking out my sister, but he is really reaching for my wife's hand (just off screen to the left).

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I should have said lots of things. But without any warning or preparation at all, I had nothing really to say. I just said I was a big fan of his work.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I should have said lots of things. But without any warning or preparation at all, I had nothing really to say. I just said I was a big fan of his work.
I would have been in the same situation. cool!

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
I would have got up and walked out , If he extended his hand to me I lol in his face

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I may lose a bet about the number of senate seats lost, so I may be gone from Anandtech for a month. But, at least I had a positive thing. So, I'm making this brag thread.

I took a weekend trip to Chicago and wanted to eat at Frontera Grill (ran by Rick Bayless from the Food Network show). It just happens to be a few blocks from Obama's home and a favorite of Obama. I didn't know he was in town, until he walked into the restaurant.

Politics aside, he was a nice guy. Shook everyone's hands. Here is a snapshot that I got of him. Obama looks like he is checking out my sister, but he is really reaching for my wife's hand (just off screen to the left).

That's great.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
That is one thing that would suck about being the president, famous. You couldn't go anywhere without having to shake everyones hands, or without having 100 picture snapped at you.

I do admire politicians and the POTUS in general for how well they generally handle those situations.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Did you ask him if he was a member here?

;)

I would have got up and walked out , If he extended his hand to me I lol in his face
I do not like Obama's policies in general (although, he has been exceeding my expectations in regards to national security and foreign affairs), but I still think it would be an honor to get to shake hands with a president.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Did you ask him if he was a member here?

;)

I do not like Obama's policies in general (although, he has been exceeding my expectations in regards to national security and foreign affairs), but I still think it would be an honor to get to shake hands with a president.

Politics aside, one should always be respectful towards other human beings. Even the most ardent liberal would have shaken hands with Bush during the height of his presidency if they found themselves in the same restaurant like you did. Hard-core conservatives are the same way, overall. It is one thing to talk tough about policies, but an entirely different matter when you are in the same room.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I would not have cared to have my dinner upset like that. Secret Service mulling about, brain deads fawning all over him and whatnot but I'd just chill and GTFO ASAP.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
That is one thing that would suck about being the president, famous. You couldn't go anywhere without having to shake everyones hands, or without having 100 picture snapped at you.

I do admire politicians and the POTUS in general for how well they generally handle those situations.

I suspect a little more challenging is confronting the rude people (see Nemesis above). Easy to create a 'news story' or more - remember Joe the Plumber.

Congrats to the OP on his neat evening.

Bush reportedly dealt with this pre-9/11 when someone told him 'I'm disappointed, Mr. President' - Bush said to him, while keeping his big smile for the cameras:

'Who cares what you think?'

Last edited:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Politics aside, one should always be respectful towards other human beings. Even the most ardent liberal would have shaken hands with Bush during the height of his presidency if they found themselves in the same restaurant like you did. Hard-core conservatives are the same way, overall. It is one thing to talk tough about policies, but an entirely different matter when you are in the same room.

Actually, I disagree. When the disagreements go beyond 'normal politics' and you actually view him as very immoral if not 'evil', you can refuse to shake their hand, etc.

It should not be done for 'basic politics' - manners and respect for the office apply - but as an 'act of civil disobedience' for stronger opinions, that changes the rules, IMO.

Then it's up to others to decide whether it's an appropriate act of 'free speech' protest, or being a jerk.

Some might have another view, but I do wonder why some people would take issue with not shaking his hand, but say it's ok to call for the Muslim's impeachment or that he is a murdering cocaine dealer. I recall a White House performer in front of Nixon said - maybe it was a sentence - about ending the Vietnam War in front of him and the audience. Terribly outside 'the rules', but showing the strong feelings about the war.

The President has a pretty big bubble from public opinion - they call it 'the fish bowl' - and it's always going to be controversial when to take more action.

Not many go so far as Grace Slick, though, who, invited to a White House party as a classmate of Nixon's daughter, tried to sneak LSD into his punch.

That was the time - 'if they could just get him to have a trip, he'd understand why the war was wrong', or maybe it more just being an immoral ass to him (very wrong to do).

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Congratulations. Always cool to meet a President, especially if you agree with his politics.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I suspect a little more challenging is confronting the rude people (see Nemesis above). Easy to create a 'news story' or more - remember Joe the Plumber.

Congrats to the OP on his neat evening.

Bush reportedly dealt with this pre-9/11 when someone told him 'I'm disappointed, Mr. President' - Bush said to him, while keeping his big smile for the cameras:

'Who cares what you think?'

Ah yes. The Bill Hangley story which has never been verified.

*shrug* maybe it happened maybe it didnt. Makes good press though for sure!

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Obama at a fancy Chicago restaurant while we're at 10% unemployment? Typical. He even has a private chef and buys organic food. You'll never see this man eat instant noodles or from a cambels soup can.