Question Meshify S2 case fan question

TitusTroy

Dec 17, 2005
I have a question about the Fractal Design Meshify S2 case...I'm using 5 140mm case fans- 3 front intake, 1 rear exhaust and 1 top exhaust...I started building my new system and was wondering about adding a bottom 140mm intake fan...but when I place it inside the PSU shroud it seems to be in a weird position...if I place it in the bottom front position then it's literally right in front of my 3rd front intake fan...won't that block the air from my front fan and divert it up?...if I place it in the 2nd position in the bottom it's right up against my PSU and I'm worried that the PSU wires might get caught in the fans

how are people placing the bottom intake fan?...any worries about it interfering with the front intake fan airflow?

Last edited:

knght990

Jun 3, 2006
I have a Meshify 2, so similar with some differences, I intend to have 3 front intake, two bottom intake, 3 top exhaust and one rear exhaust. I'm pretty sure it won't be an issue to tie up the excess psu cables so they are out of the way.
In your case I would choose to mount the bottom fan forward. Getting air up into the case will be more useful than into the solid back of the PSU. I think you have to leave the front bottom plate out for the lower front fan if I read the diagram right, so there should be a nice big hole there for the air to come in.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I have a question about the Fractal Design Meshify S2 case...I'm using 5 140mm case fans- 3 front intake, 1 rear exhaust and 1 top exhaust...I started building my new system and was wondering about adding a bottom 140mm intake fan...but when I place it inside the PSU shroud it seems to be in a weird position...if I place it in the bottom front position then it's literally right in front of my 3rd front intake fan...won't that block the air from my front fan and divert it up?...if I place it in the 2nd position in the bottom it's right up against my PSU and I'm worried that the PSU wires might get caught in the fans

how are people placing the bottom intake fan?...any worries about it interfering with the front intake fan airflow?

You have plenty of intake, and plenty of CPU area exhaust.

They only issue is the standard problem of hot modern components, in a case design that has evolved from the 1980's, when add in cards didn't need active cooling.

Heat tends gets trapped under modern high performance GPUs and recirculated.

If you aren't using your other PCIe slots, you can remedy that with a 92mm fan exhausting heat out the PCIe slots under the GPU. That will do much more to cool your GPU, than adding more intake. Example:
dabg4sgjohw01.jpg

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
You have plenty of intake, and plenty of CPU area exhaust.

They only issue is the standard problem of hot modern components, in a case design that has evolved from the 1980's, when add in cards didn't need active cooling.

Heat tends gets trapped under modern high performance GPUs and recirculated.

If you aren't using your other PCIe slots, you can remedy that with a 92mm fan exhausting heat out the PCIe slots under the GPU. That will do much more to cool your GPU, than adding more intake. Example:

or you can go the non ghetto route and get this and still have some of your PCI-E slots:

But honestly.... your issue is easier to fix by rotating your PSU upside down and having the FAN pull air from the chamber and exhausting it out the rear, instead of having the fan pull air from floor, and exhausting it from the rear.
The PSU fan should pull the residual hot air, and it wont impact it very much, while new cool air gets pulled in.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
or you can go the non ghetto route and get this and still have some of your PCI-E slots:
https://www.amazon.com/GDSTIME-Grap...eywords=pci+slot+blower&qid=1609318521&sr=8-3

You pretty much block out your slots either way, and I'd much rather get the hot air out of the case, than recirculate it.

But honestly.... your issue is easier to fix by rotating your PSU upside down and having the FAN pull air from the chamber and exhausting it out the rear, instead of having the fan pull air from floor, and exhausting it from the rear.
The PSU fan should pull the residual hot air, and it wont impact it very much, while new cool air gets pulled in.

This doesn't work. Modern high efficiency PSUs move very little air. Testing shows no difference in GPU temps, for PSU mounted facing up or down.