Merry Christmas, You're a failure.

waterjug

Jan 21, 2012
Thanks mom. :(

Seriously for as long as I can remember my mom sends me these passive-aggressive birthday/Christmas cards. I don't know why she does this crap. She sent me a birthday card a few years ago saying "I hope and pray this is the year you actually get on a career path and do something with your life". I was already in grad school, and working 48 hours per week in a field that my degree would end up applying to. A few Christmases ago she sends a card: "Merry Christmas, wish it was more".

This year I get a card stating: "You need to get a better job with better pay & benefits" Sounds nice, but she is always taking shots at me and my career talking about how I'll never have anything nice or ever get anywhere in life. Her cards are just passive aggressive versions of that. The card finishes with: "Your I.T. business is no different than a hobby like birdwatching. Who is going to actually pay you for services? The birds?" (I just restarted work as an IT consultant for the extra cash, on the side). Seriously?

I've worked in the IT field for over a decade at this point, and only stopped because my main career took off. I decided recently to take it up again since the sector I'm in is fairly lucrative, and could be good side-money. Anyway, I'm not going to turn this into blog.anandtech.com, but I needed to vent, and don't want to dump on my friends on Christmas.

TwiceOver

Lifer
Dec 20, 2002
Is she footing the bill for you in any way? If not, tell her to fuck off. That's ridiculous.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
It's not your fault. The impressive thing here is that with such a shit bag of a mother you actually are doing these things you say. What a terrible way she talks to you, no excuse for it.

Such negative encouragement from parents should be relegated to movies, where better people mock the characters.

She does it because there is something wrong with her, not with you. Even if there IS something wrong with you (I bet there is, there is something wrong with all of us), she's going about it wrong. I am guessing something bad happened to her over the years, either an ingrained sense of failure herself or something else continually attacking her sense of worth and she projects it onto you. Or, simply, she's a bitch. Sorry to talk to your mom like that, but I think you came here expecting candor.

Gintaras

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2000
Just don't shoot some innocent people, especially kids if you want to leave this world - go out by yourself.

But, if you deceided to go and take some other people with you to another world, go after politicians or lawyers.....

AmdEmAll

Diamond Member
Aug 27, 2000
Just don't shoot some innocent people, especially kids if you want to leave this world - go out by yourself.

But, if you deceided to go and take some other people with you to another world, go after politicians or lawyers.....

Or take out the westboro baptist nuts

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011

This went weird fast.

SandEagle

Lifer
Aug 4, 2007
your troll started off pretty good, but the part below gave it away. trust me, i can detect shens a mile away. i practically do it for a living

The card finishes with: "Your I.T. business is no different than a hobby like birdwatching. Who is going to actually pay you for services? The birds?"

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Thanks mom. :(

Seriously for as long as I can remember my mom sends me these passive-aggressive birthday/Christmas cards. I don't know why she does this crap. She sent me a birthday card a few years ago saying "I hope and pray this is the year you actually get on a career path and do something with your life". I was already in grad school, and working 48 hours per week in a field that my degree would end up applying to. A few Christmases ago she sends a card: "Merry Christmas, wish it was more".

This year I get a card stating: "You need to get a better job with better pay & benefits" Sounds nice, but she is always taking shots at me and my career talking about how I'll never have anything nice or ever get anywhere in life. Her cards are just passive aggressive versions of that. The card finishes with: "Your I.T. business is no different than a hobby like birdwatching. Who is going to actually pay you for services? The birds?" (I just restarted work as an IT consultant for the extra cash, on the side). Seriously?

I've worked in the IT field for over a decade at this point, and only stopped because my main career took off. I decided recently to take it up again since the sector I'm in is fairly lucrative, and could be good side-money. Anyway, I'm not going to turn this into blog.anandtech.com, but I needed to vent, and don't want to dump on my friends on Christmas.

Merry Christmas and happy New Year. Don't worry about what your mom just said.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Well, send her a copy of your tax returns if you've "made it."

Tell her to STFU.

Tell her that you'll be picking her nursing home.

Tell her that if she'd done a proper job raising you, you'd have turned out better.

Heh, I send my Mom:)wub:) ebony Mother's Day cards. They're 98% responsible for my humor. and I ain't black.....above the waist.

Bottom line, deal with it. Humor, at her expense, I like.

Hell, I like humor at most people's expense....even my own.

tcsenter

Lifer
Sep 7, 2001
What do you do? Do you have any favored siblings of whom your mother approves and what do they do? What is your mom's idea of a better career or getting your life together?

Merry Christmas!

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
You should tell your mom you've switched career to the pharmaceutical distribution field and you're making dough now. Holler at your boy.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I say anyone who works and fights to pay their bills and doesn't take government handouts (not knocking those that TRULY need it) is a winner. I don't care if you work at a popular fast food chain commonly used as an expression, if it is what pays your bills and provides a means of living, you're getting it done. Need nothing more in this world than family, friends, food and shelter. The rest is optional.

Puppies04

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2011
What did mommy do that was so successful? From what I am seeing her only accomplishments in life are being good at whining and having a dead beat son :D.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Do you send her Christmas cards? If not, you should. Pen the next one as

"Merry Christmas mom. Drop Dead you spiteful, bitter bitch."

Then sign "Love, <your name>".

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Anyway, I'm not going to turn this into blog.anandtech.com, but I needed to vent, and don't want to dump on my friends on Christmas.

Talk about being passive-aggressive. Looks like you have your mom's trait.

jk

sao123

Lifer
May 27, 2002
im with your mom... what exactly is this degree and career path?

In case you didnt get the memo, this is ATOT where every member is a 1%er with 2 houses and 2 kids and 2 dogs. if your not a CEO working 5 hours a week and traveling all over the US in your own private plane, doing nothing but playing golf the rest of the week, then your mom is correct.

you = teh fails.

PS Liberal Arts isnt a degree, its just a really expensive piece of paper.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
I would seriously disappear. New address, new phone number, new email address, and then let her wither away alone.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
tell us this is fake op. if its not come by my house next christmas. Were weirdos but were nice

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
I think your mom lacks self-respect and that's why she takes it out on you. Sounds like you're doing fine.

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
Why on earth do you keep opening her cards? You know reading them will only make you feel bad.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly, and expecting different results. Throw the damn things away, already.

Or start sending her cards, telling her how much you want a mother who accepts you for who you are and provides unending support.

Or tell her you got laid off and that you're moving home tomorrow. Maybe she'll pay you not to.