Merck starts global test of AIDS vaccine

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
link

Supposedly the key difficulty in creating an AIDS vaccine is that there are so many different strains. A global trial is necessary to test for effectiveness against all variants.

Kntx

Platinum Member
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: kaizersose
the vaccine for aids has already been discovered, its called common sense and a condom.

Yea... but who wants to wear a condom?

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Kntx
the vaccine for aids has already been discovered, its called common sense and a condom.

...someone who doesn't want aids, silly;)

But seriously, from what I understand of the way vaccines work, I would be very hesitant to get this one.

Napalm

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 1999

Must be nice to live in a black and white world. Tell that to children born to mothers with AIDS, or to poor people living in villages without a 7-11 where they can pick up condoms, or to people who have acquired AIDS through blood transfusions, or to individuals in long term relationships in which one person has cheated and become infected...

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Vadatajs
Originally posted by: Kntx

...someone who doesn't want aids, silly;)

But seriously, from what I understand of the way vaccines work, I would be very hesitant to get this one.

I wouldn't rush out to get it, but it uses a Common Cold virus, so it shouldn't be too risky. I'm not a virologist(?) though, so there could be risks I have no clue about. ;)

pnho

Dec 7, 2000
biggest risk of vaccines is the fact that instead of building up an immune to the viral infection, you would instead develop it. Smallpox vaccine was a major problem because of this.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: pnho
biggest risk of vaccines is the fact that instead of building up an immune to the viral infection, you would instead develop it. Smallpox vaccine was a major problem because of this.

i thought the smallpox vaccine was infecting people with cowpox.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: pnho

I was under the impression that this basically doesn't happen anymore with modern vaccines.

pnho

Dec 7, 2000
vaccines work by gearing the body up for defense against viral infections. To do so, doctors inject something similar to the infection but not as deadly, so the body's white blood cells produce a memory of this. Modern vaccines "chop up" the key triggers to the immune system and we are vaccinated with it. The largest concern is allergic reaction (another immune response). Slight flu like symptons, aching, fever are the typical responses to a vaccine. However, skin reactions that create bumps or celluloid can occur at the injection point.

kaizersose

Golden Member
May 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Napalm

Must be nice to live in a black and white world. Tell that to children born to mothers with AIDS, or to poor people living in villages without a 7-11 where they can pick up condoms, or to people who have acquired AIDS through blood transfusions, or to individuals in long term relationships in which one person has cheated and become infected...

a. vaccines prevent aids, if a mother has it, it is too late for the child anyway. if a mother has aids, she should not be having kids.

b. the US has tried many times to get people in poor african villages to wear condoms by giving them out for free and showing them how to use them. these programs failed miserably because no one wanted to wear the condoms.

c. all blood given is screened for aids, i dont believe anyone has been infected in that way in quite some time. if they have, its too late for the vaccine anyway and they would have my complete sympathy and any help i could provide.

d. "individuals in long term relationships in which one person has cheated and become infected..." that's diggin pretty deep. still, if you are going to have sex and you dont know if the person is clean, bag it up. it is also a felony to knowingly give someone aids.