Mercedes Benz trying to kill us?

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
Basically, long story short, my mother's car had a flat, so my father and I decided to change her tires for her.

MB has one of those spare tires that is thinner than the normal tires, and is supposed to have a max speed of 80 km/h.

On this spare tire, one of the four sticker says only this: 61psi/4.2bars. Then, I checked the sidewall of the tire, as I was trying to fill up the spare, and it says that the max should be 60psi/41000Pa.

:confused:

What the eff am I supposed to do here now?

Now, it gets more interesting. I check the fuel flap, and the bloody thing says that the max pressure should 2.8.

:confused:

At the moment I've only filled it up to 2.4, but I'm not sure what to do. I didn't even check the other tires pressures because I wasn't sure what measurements I should have been using, but hopefully, tomorrow, or Monday, we should get the car's spare tire replaced, and we'll ask the guy there for the correct levels, but this thing has left me befuddled.

Also, after I've removed the spare tire, I can not fit the original tire into the well of the spare tire, so I've had to leave the tire on top of the well, in the boot.

What happens if I'm travelling with luggage?

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Most of the temp spare tires I have had used between 60-65 psi. The fuel flap reading is probably for the regular sized tires on the ground. Don't see where you have a problem as to tire pressures. What to do with the full size tire you took off has been an on-going problem for years.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Those skinny spares are always higher-pressure than regular tires.

I don't understand why you're worried about travelling with luggage. Surely you're not driving around town on that spare....the FIRST thing you should do when you put on one of those spares is to drive to a tire shop, get the real tire fixed, and put it back on. The donut spares are NOT designed for long-distance travel at all.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: jagec

I don't understand why you're worried about travelling with luggage. Surely you're not driving around town on that spare....the FIRST thing you should do when you put on one of those spares is to drive to a tire shop, get the real tire fixed, and put it back on. The donut spares are NOT designed for long-distance travel at all.

If you were on a trip and you had a lot of luggage, he is wondering what you'd do with it.

Cristatus

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: jagec

If you were on a trip and you had a lot of luggage, he is wondering what you'd do with it.

That is exactly what I meant.