Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren Roadster unveiled

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
http://www.leftlanenews.com/mercedes-benz-slr-mclaren-roadster.html

Mercedes-Benz announced today that it will offer the SLR McLaren super sports car in the form of a roadster. Powered by a supercharged (Kompressor) 5.5-liter, 617-hp AMG V8 engine, the SLR McLaren Roadster can achieve a top speed of 207 mph.

Coupled to an AMG Speedshift R five-speed automatic transmission, the engine delivers maximum torque of 575 pound-feet, and a zero to 62 mph time of 3.8 seconds.

Apart from two aluminium engine frames, its body is made entirely of carbon-fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) materials. Its newly developed roof material - which is available in three different colors - offers desirable aerodynamics while up. Favorable aeroacoustics with the top down mean conversation is still possible at well over 120 mph.

Such a good-looking car. I would still prefer a Ferrari 599 GTB as a gran-tourer though...

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Looks how I'd expecct it to look based on the coupe...which is a good thing :thumbsup:

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Love the looks, but I was never a fan of the engine. It just sounds awful (listen to the Top Gear reviews of the SLR to see what I mean).

overst33r

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Love the looks, but I was never a fan of the engine. It just sounds awful (listen to the Top Gear reviews of the SLR to see what I mean).

Yeah, I don't think the generic whoosh/rumble sound is anything special either.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: mariok2006
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Yeah, I don't think the generic whoosh/rumble sound is anything special either.

different strokes for different folks...i think it sounds awesome.

Zonda F still the best though, that really is ear melting.

CtK

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
still dont like those HUGE A$$ shark gills on the side
rather have a Koenigsegg CCX

rml

Lifer
Jul 6, 2000
I don't think MB has a manual tranny to put in any of their cars, they don't make one iirc.

MB makes manual tranny in the past. I haven't heard any news about they stop making it.

Dec 4, 2002
Originally posted by: rml
I don't think MB has a manual tranny to put in any of their cars, they don't make one iirc.

MB makes manual tranny in the past. I haven't heard any news about they stop making it.

I don't know of a MB still in production that has one available. They're all autos or paddle shifters.

chris7b

Nov 11, 2003
C230 and i believe C350 Sport can still be purchased w/ a 6 speed. They had SLK manual transmissions a few years back (last gen). Don't know if the new generation has it or not.