Menthol and Caffeine in Shampoo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
What's the deal here? Thought I'd change things up a bit and buy a different kind of shampoo. I picked up some Dove for Men "Fresh Clean" 2 in 1. The next day I hopped in the shower to find a tingling sensation across my scalp. Then a minty-burny-type sensation soon followed - kind of like how your mouth feels when you eat Altoids or other strong mints but on your head.

Weird. Really weird. I'm not sure if I like it a lot, or hate it a lot. But my question is why? What does this do to my hair? What's the deal?

Also, now my hair is addicted to caffeine. No, not really, but what is the point of having the caffeine there? Google says it reduces hair loss. I was hoping it would wake me up faster.

Didn't expect either of those two products to be in this shampoo. I guess I should read the labels.

Broheim

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2011
What's the deal here? Thought I'd change things up a bit and buy a different kind of shampoo. I picked up some Dove for Men "Fresh Clean" 2 in 1. The next day I hopped in the shower to find a tingling sensation across my scalp. Then a minty-burny-type sensation soon followed - kind of like how your mouth feels when you eat Altoids or other strong mints but on your head.

Weird. Really weird. I'm not sure if I like it a lot, or hate it a lot. But my question is why? What does this do to my hair? What's the deal?

Also, now my hair is addicted to caffeine. No, not really, but what is the point of having the caffeine there? Google says it reduces hair loss. I was hoping it would wake me up faster.

Didn't expect either of those two products to be in this shampoo. I guess I should read the labels.

I just got some Alpecin shampoo and am about to test that claim out.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It's probably in there because the benefits are supported by plenty of research.

Market research.

Market research which says that those ingredients will more easily allow them to jam more buzzwords onto the packaging, and get more people to buy it.

Or simply, "ooOOOOoohhh, this one has menthol and caffeine! The other ones don't have those things, so this one's got to be better!"

(Sorry, I'm allergic to marketing.)

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

(Sorry, I'm allergic to marketing.)

YourPostMakesDonDraperCry.png

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Hair is dead. The only way something would work is at the root. Menthol might feel good, but I don't think alcohol does much for hair follicle health. Caffeine? I'm doubtful. Seems to me you'd have to mix it with an alkali to allow absorption, but I don't know. I'm open to peer reviewed research on the topic. Personally, I just do what I always do, and if my hair falls out, fuck it. I don't need it anyway :^D

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
From what I was told, then menthol is supposed to make you think the shampoo is actually moisturizing your scalp. It is not really meant for the hair. Quite a few shampoo's that are made for moisture will give you that "burn".

Status
Not open for further replies.