Men: What went wrong?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NanoStuff

Banned
Mar 23, 2006
And what about those puncure resistant tire commercials in the 60s?

"Got a flat tire, no man in sight? You littly missy should have bought our woman-proof tire!"

Boy how I wish to see something like that nowadays. No room for fact and straight forward logic anymore, have to be 'politically correct'.

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
What went wrong? At one time men knew their place too. They were incredibly hard working, had a tremendous amount of integrity, and cherished their family.

Men lost all that, and eventually women realized they were being used and treated as servents, rather than equal partners of two different jobs.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
There are still women out there in this world that are real women. Just don't look for them where women think they are to be worshipped and their career is more important than family. You can replace "Italian women" with "American women" in this piece. Western women are anger they are being outsourced with wome from Asia and Eastern Europe.

http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art99.htm

Stefano, 34, lives in Catania and is engaged to Larissa, 30, who's Russian. He had these strong (and uncensored) remarks about Italian attitudes: "It's very unfortunate that many Italian women view the Russian girls as opportunists or prostitutes. It's plain envy. The typical Sicilian girl doesn't know how to compete against a woman from a different culture. A lot of Sicilian girls I've met over the years play it coy and demure at home but will do almost anything with any foreign man when they're outside Italy. I know a pretty Sicilian tour guide in her mid thirties who has 'boyfriends' in London, Paris, New York and anyplace but Sicily. She actually hates Sicilian men, and considers us all 'pigs,' but she'd be the first person to criticise Larissa and other foreign girls who live in Italy and are happy with somebody like me. That 'holier than thou' attitude really annoys me because it seems to imply that single Sicilian women are all precious virgins while the foreigners are all worthless whores. But Italian women often use sex or flirtation to get what they want. In Italy, even a woman being interviewed for a position as a teacher uses her nice legs and sultry smile to get the job! So the criticisms of foreign women seem hypocritical. In Russia, the role of women is a little different --in marriage but also in academic and professional life. What's important is that Larissa and I are happy with each other."

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: bennylong
There are still women out there in this world that are real women. Just don't look for them where women think they are to be worshipped and their career is more important than family. You can replace "Italian women" with "American women" in this piece. Western women are anger they are being outsourced with wome from Asia and Eastern Europe.

Stefano, 34, lives in Catania and is engaged to Larissa, 30, who's Russian. He had these strong (and uncensored) remarks about Italian attitudes: "It's very unfortunate that many Italian women view the Russian girls as opportunists or prostitutes. It's plain envy. The typical Sicilian girl doesn't know how to compete against a woman from a different culture. A lot of Sicilian girls I've met over the years play it coy and demure at home but will do almost anything with any foreign man when they're outside Italy. I know a pretty Sicilian tour guide in her mid thirties who has 'boyfriends' in London, Paris, New York and anyplace but Sicily. She actually hates Sicilian men, and considers us all 'pigs,' but she'd be the first person to criticise Larissa and other foreign girls who live in Italy and are happy with somebody like me. That 'holier than thou' attitude really annoys me because it seems to imply that single Sicilian women are all precious virgins while the foreigners are all worthless whores. But Italian women often use sex or flirtation to get what they want. In Italy, even a woman being interviewed for a position as a teacher uses her nice legs and sultry smile to get the job! So the criticisms of foreign women seem hypocritical. In Russia, the role of women is a little different --in marriage but also in academic and professional life. What's important is that Larissa and I are happy with each other."
How can you possibly sit there and continue to post this crap and play it off like you know ANYTHING about women? You are rapidly becoming the local ATOT expert on how to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of the male/female dynamic.

Oh, and I am not saying this because you are the 33 year old virgin. That is merely a symptom of your cluelessness. Your posts here are proof of it.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Orsorum
That article is complete bollocks, and any man who wishes for such reverence from his wife desires not a partner, but a slave.

You are responsible for your own happiness. If you feel that the women in your life are treating you poorly, maybe it's time to find different women with whom to spend time.

Agreed. Yes, there is a great group of girls who seem to have an advantage in society now, but in no way does that make me want girls to go back to a point in time where they were restricted from some types of work or going things they wanted to do because of social restrictions.

And plus, if the girls (and guys <anyone> ) you hang out with treat to with contempt for no apparent reason, to h3ll with them. Find some new people to hang out with.

**EDIT**

"BTW, what do you tell a girl with two black eyes?"
"Nuthing, you dang told her twice already." ;) :p j/k j/k

Any other jokes out there?

L

Lola

:Q

You are utterly clueless.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006

"BTW, what do you tell a girl with two black eyes?"
"Nuthing, you dang told her twice already." ;) :p j/k j/k

Any other jokes out there?

Dude, the PC folks are going to get you now! And I don't mean personal computer

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: LolaWiz

Agreed. Plus, if my wife want to work, then I say, "Go for it". If she wants to help out with the kids and stay at home (or just take a part time job to cover some shopping expenses), that is great, too.

BTW, OP, a lot of the "Career" woman you so despise, actually would choose family over career anyday of the week. My sister who was Summa Cum Laude in her Master's program, college, high school... is now a stay at home wife and mother. She loves it.

Most of the girls I know that I have talked to about this, want to be able to have a great career, but would one day want to be the stay at home wife and mother (you can't beat nature ;) :p ) I don't know that many women that would choose career over a family. I know a few, and there are definitely more of them now than before, but meh so what, you have 50% of ATOTers who are guys saying the same thing, and also sleeping around. It is the consequence of a broken world/society.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: LolaWiz

Completely.

ArchCenturion

Aug 6, 2006
I guess that it may be the way that I have been brought up, but I have always been of the opinion that men and women are to be partners in marriage.

What this means to me, is that each should be able to pull their own weight so to speak, neither should be dead weight. Men/Women should compliment eachothers strengths/weaknesses.

In a strictly logical sense, if a man can support his family financially, then woman should be able to provide support for her husbands needs, ie keeping the house fairly clean, providing food, caring for children. These roles are not set in stone, but are allowed to be relatively interchangeable.

More practially, when you are married to someone, you have made a commitment to that person (to love and cherish? I don't remember if there are more), and this seems to me that this means you would be willing to do anything to better your spouse. As a couple, you decide what will be "fair" or "equal". One person may make the money, the other may take care of the home, and make the food. One person may fix and repair things, the other may clean etc.

Emotionally far as sex, or with holding sex is concerned, maybe I am too young (23), maybe I am niave, but it seems to me that if two people are committed to eachother, and are willing to do anything thing to make the other feel secure, loved, happy, then this should not be an issue, your wife will want to be with you, as much as you want to be in her? :p

Alienwho

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2001
Has anybody seen the episode of American Dad when he's fighting with his wife because she doesn't do what he wants. He longs for the good old days when women respected there men. So they get sent to Saudi Arabia and he thinks he's going to hate it, but he ends up absolutely loving it because the women are basically their slaves? He renounces his US citizenship and all. Hilarious episode.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: ArchCenturion
I guess that it may be the way that I have been brought up, but I have always been of the opinion that men and women are to be partners in marriage.

What this means to me, is that each should be able to pull their own weight so to speak, neither should be dead weight. Men/Women should compliment eachothers strengths/weaknesses.

In a strictly logical sense, if a man can support his family financially, then woman should be able to provide support for her husbands needs, ie keeping the house fairly clean, providing food, caring for children. These roles are not set in stone, but are allowed to be relatively interchangeable.

More practially, when you are married to someone, you have made a commitment to that person (to love and cherish? I don't remember if there are more), and this seems to me that this means you would be willing to do anything to better your spouse. As a couple, you decide what will be "fair" or "equal". One person may make the money, the other may take care of the home, and make the food. One person may fix and repair things, the other may clean etc.

Emotionally far as sex, or with holding sex is concerned, maybe I am too young (23), maybe I am niave, but it seems to me that if two people are committed to eachother, and are willing to do anything thing to make the other feel secure, loved, happy, then this should not be an issue, your wife will want to be with you, as much as you want to be in her? :p

Yes, you are. Women are subject to mood changes... affection is a hard thing to give if not in the right mood. Men have to be smooth.

Anyways, sex isn't the end all in marriage (it is a big thing in newlywed or early marriage), but after kids, not so much. Compatability and commitment are much more important in the long run. :)

Garet Jax

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2000
Originally posted by: ThaGrandCow
Don't forget, back in the 50's it was very easy for a single person to provide for their family. These days, having both people in the marriage is very common, since rent/bills/food/etc is very expensive.

I submit it is the other way around. One smart family realized they could double their income and so were able to buy more expensive homes/cars/foods/etc... The rest of their friends started to "keep up" with them and were unable until they had 2 working adults and so the process continued until 2 working adults was the norm.

Because of this new more expensive cars/foods/homes were created to increase profit margins since the majority of people could now pay these inflated costs and here we are today.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Originally posted by: maziwanka
this kind of attitude does make me sad.
marriage isn't just a financial contract.
Why get married then? You can do everything you can as a couple without being married.
You will die alone.[/quote]
I thought about a dozen sarcastic ways to comment on this, but it was a serious point and a good one too.

What are the odds that you wont die alone anyway? Again with the divorce rate so high and the big difference in lifespan between men and women, cant you die lonely regardless?
This just helps to support my position that marriage is a sham and more of a contract than anything else.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
What went wrong?

The destruction of the family and society as a whole can be directly linked to a two income family. You don't need both people to work.

Thank goodness my SO agrees with a lot of what is on that document. Women are good at certain things and men are good at certain things and should use those talents. To expect that they are equal in all aspects is just foolish. If we get married It's already decided that she is gonna stay home with the kids so they get the nuture and care they need.

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: spidey07
What went wrong?

The destruction of the family and society as a whole can be directly linked to a two income family. You don't need both people to work.

Thank goodness my SO agrees with a lot of what is on that document. Women are good at certain things and men are good at certain things and should use those talents. To expect that they are equal in all aspects is just foolish. If we get married It's already decided that she is gonna stay home with the kids so they get the nuture and care they need.

Absolutely agree with this. Children need their mothers raising them (as well as father's, but more in regards to discipline), not a daycare center.

ArchCenturion

Aug 6, 2006
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats
What went wrong?

Absolutely agree with this. Children need their mothers raising them (as well as father's, but more in regards to discipline), not a daycare center.

:shocked: AGREED :thumbsup:

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I think it is a special blessing to be able to stay home and raise your child.

That said, I think I am very lucky that I live in a society that allows me to make that choice.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
nomarriage.com is a collection of some fake and some real stories from the small percentage of people that have no idea what warning signs to look for in a spouse. They ended up with gold-diggers and now tout their experiences as the norm. Considering how many couples get married, the number of stories on there is less than 0.1% of the population.

Also, if you're going to quote an article from the 50's, you might as well go further and quote from earlier times and ask why blacks are allowed to use the same facilities as whites, or why anyone who isn't christian isn't dead yet.

Don't forget, back in the 50's it was very easy for a single person to provide for their family. These days, having both people in the marriage is very common, since rent/bills/food/etc is very expensive.

So the government stats of 50% of all marriage today will end in a divorce is a lie? The fact that a woman can take half your assets, your future earnings, and your retirement accounts are lies?

Infidelity is at an all-time high, from both the males and females. Idiots are getting married at an increased rate simply for tax benefits and realizing later that they don't belong together at all. And the simple fact that women are no longer forced to endure an abusive relationship in silence and required to just "deal with it" adds quite a bit to the mix, since they can now request a divorce instad of being doormats for beatings when their husband comes home angry.

50% divorce rate doesn't suprise me at all. It would have been much higher back then too if we hadn't treated women as slaves.

At the same time, women realize that they don't have to be in a relationship where they are not as happy as they want to. By that, I mean divorce is seen as an easy solution to any problems. To add to that, it is often beneficial for a woman to divorce (much moreso than for the man), so there is an incentive.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
we let them take off their burkas, corsets, binded feet...

in a hundred years they will be gone again..the progressive females that is. the islamic and other fundamentalist patriarchal societies will out breed us, as we will dwindle to nothingness. feminism forgot to make a long term plan.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
What went wrong?

I disagree, to an extent.

I've seen dysfunctional one-income families and two-income families that are very successful. I don't think either one can be directly linked to "the destruction of the family".

I think that there were plenty of failed or dysfunctional families back in the '50s that stuck together simply because the women had no choice. When your job prospects are limited, it makes life outside a marriage not much of an option.