Men are to blame for menopause

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
This article is absolute bologna. I agree that men select against older women in preference for younger women. However, how the heck does that translate into the advent of menopause??? If men are selecting against old women, than what should happen is that women's lifespans should shorten since old women are failing at reproducing. However, the opposite is the case - women have longer lifespans than men.

Also, what the is the mechanism by which menopause is selected for??? If women have a hard time reproducing at old old, then menopause (which ends reproductive capability) would be selected AGAINST. The few women that didn't have menopause in old age would be favored evolutionarily since they can still pass on their genes.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well I think their study is wrong. I am firmly convinced that the opposite is true menopause is what drives men to the younger women.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Glad the Canadians paid for this study.

why?

just another part of the "Science, Bad! Small government, Good!" meaningless mantra?

or is it just "too hard" to think about why this kind of research is important?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Life expectancy in 1900.

Males - 46.3 years
Females - 48.3 years

Think about that data in the context of the discussions you're having. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

are you honestly trying to argue that people didn't live into their 60s, and 70s, and even 80s before ~1900?

:D

BTW--I know that I should be laughing.

....at you.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
are you honestly trying to argue that people didn't live into their 60s, and 70s, and even 80s before ~1900?

:D

BTW--I know that I should be laughing.

....at you.
No, I'm not arguing that. If you'd read the thread you'd know but you're most likely too lazy to do so. You show up two days late and contribute your usual ignorance.

If I told everybody what a great beautiful being you are, you'd deny it just to spite me. You're a dick and we all know it.

Whatever...

SlickSnake

Diamond Member
May 29, 2007
NEWS FLASH!!!!

The study scientist they interview is a WOMAN!

News reporter is a WOMAN!

There CAN'T be any gender bias about MEN going on there, right? RIGHT???

The other 2 men engaged in the study, probably only juggled charts and graphs and numbers for her, and this was 100% her project and speculation from the start.

"Author Contributions"

"Wrote the paper: JRS RAM RSS. Conceived the study: RSS. Designed the computational model: RAM JRS. Encoded the computer program, ran simulations, and analyzed the data: RAM."

Yep, it's CONFIRMED. My speculation becomes reality, just like her speculation did! It's simply AMAZING what HARD SCIENCE can accomplish with a few graphs and charts to prove whatever it is you want to prove, isn't it?

And Hayabusa Rider, you probably spent more time on this than she did, and you did it all FOR FREE.

Last edited:

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
Actually, come to think of it, I dont see how menopause could possibly have been selected for at all, no matter if women lived long enough for it to occur.

Think about it:

1. Menopause, by definition, is the end of fertility for a woman.
2. For evolution to occur, advantageous traits must be passed to offspring.
3. A post-menopausal woman can have no more children than she already has.

So it cannot possibly be selected for!

For menopause to be selected for, something like the below would have to happen:
"Wow! Look at that 50 plus year old woman - she is so hot, I absolutely have to have sex with her right now!"

Of course, no children will result from that union, so it cannot be selected for.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008
Actually, come to think of it, I dont see how menopause could possibly have been selected for at all, no matter if women lived long enough for it to occur.

Think about it:

1. Menopause, by definition, is the end of fertility for a woman.
2. For evolution to occur, advantageous traits must be passed to offspring.
3. A post-menopausal woman can have no more children than she already has.

So it cannot possibly be selected for!

For menopause to be selected for, something like the below would have to happen:
"Wow! Look at that 50 plus year old woman - she is so hot, I absolutely have to have sex with her right now!"

Of course, no children will result from that union, so it cannot be selected for.

And in any case it would be the women selecting old gits as partners and birthing more female offsprings that select old gits when they are young and male offsprings that select younger women as they age.

Dec 10, 2005
NEWS FLASH!!!!

The study scientist they interview is a WOMAN!

News reporter is a WOMAN!

There CAN'T be any gender bias about MEN going on there, right? RIGHT???

The other 2 men engaged in the study, probably only juggled charts and graphs and numbers for her, and this was 100% her project and speculation from the start.

"Author Contributions"

"Wrote the paper: JRS RAM RSS. Conceived the study: RSS. Designed the computational model: RAM JRS. Encoded the computer program, ran simulations, and analyzed the data: RAM."

Yep, it's CONFIRMED. My speculation becomes reality, just like her speculation did! It's simply AMAZING what HARD SCIENCE can accomplish with a few graphs and charts to prove whatever it is you want to prove, isn't it?

And Hayabusa Rider, you probably spent more time on this than she did, and you did it all FOR FREE.

:rolleyes:

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Brilliant study except for one thing, and I think this one thing completely refutes it:

Men can father children with more than one female. Some men seem to have a preference for older, mom types. (*cough* Alky *cough*) Given that they can father children with dozens of women each month, the idea that it led to older women not having children seems silly.

**** couldn't resist, after all the "your mom" comments. :p

Probably had to do with the limited number of eggs women have and children born later in life are more likely to have complications and birth defects.