Memory upgrade

joepaiii

Jan 6, 2006
I just built a A64 3700 on an Epox 9NPA + SLI with 1 GB of Crucial Ballistic PC-3200. I would like to go to 2 GB. Would it be better just to buy two more sticks of the Crucial memory and live with 2T or go to some fast 1 GB sticks? I have read the 1T vs 2T doesn't make much of a real world difference, but it really did in Sandra's memory bandwidth test.

Thanks,
Joe

5t3v0

Dec 22, 2005
I have a similar thread on the go so keep an eye on this too. I did some tests (in the post) and found that 2T made little difference to gaming performance (based on the 3dmark05 score). Lowering timings also had a negligible effect. I found MHz is the most important factor. Like you I am considering getting 2 more 512 sticks and taking the 2T hit but what concerns me is that I wont be able to get the same OC speeds with 4x512 as with 2x512. Unfortunately it seems that there isnt anyone who's actually tried 4 modules. Despite this, everyone is going round saying that 2T is bad and convincing eachother that they need 2x1Gb.

5t3v0

Dec 22, 2005
joe, read this. It confirms what I was saying. I'm defo going for 2 more sticks of the same as its the cheapest upgrade option for me. I recommend you consider the same & dont get sucked into the whole performance memory craze which really doesnt deliver value for money.

EDIT: Changed my mind on the 4 sticks. If you read what MrSpadge is saying over on my topic then you'd avoid taking the risk. Basically the on-board mem controller on the A64 isnt very good at coping with 4 modules especially if double sided & might not run at DDR400. This was confirmed by one of the vendors here who warned that 4 modules sometimes only reach 333MHz. Of course they want to sell 2Gb kits but no smoke without fire. 2Gb of G.Skill PC4000 for me I think.