Memory upgrade, worth it?

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Hello all, I've got a compaq presario cq50 lappy I'm gonna be selling soon, it's in perfect condition (other than being outdated) and currently has 2Gb. I can buy a 4Gb kit for $28, would it be worth the $$ so I can up the selling price or just sell it as-is. Thanks in advance for opinions/advice..

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
As is unless you think you need to add more RAM to sell it.

You would likely eat the $28 selling an older laptop, so it just makes to skip the extra cost. Depending on the specs, old laptops don't go for a whole lot.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
As is unless you think you need to add more RAM to sell it.

You would likely eat the $28 selling an older laptop, so it just makes to skip the extra cost. Depending on the specs, old laptops don't go for a whole lot.
Yea, I think that makes the most sense. It's got Vista home basic on it so I might do a fresh install of 7 pro, probably fetch $60 out of it as it's in mint condition.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Research the specs on the laptop and determine the size and model of the largest memory-kit available. If there are empty slots, determine the cost and size of using them with another module or another kit.

Then, use the information as a selling point, provide the information about resellers for purchase, and cut it loose for whatever you can get for it.

Looking at the specs for that model and a similar HP, I see it's about the same generation as my own laptop. I never bought a new laptop. Mine is an old Gateway E475M "executive" dual-core Celeron/Centrino. For most conventional office tasks it is perfectly adequate -- and I can even watch TV on it from my Silicon Dust Ethernet tuners wirelessly -- until someone flips on the microwave.

I think I upgraded the "G" wireless Intel NIC to an "N" which cost me about $10. I connected a 500GB MX100 SSD to the Gateway's SATA II controller, and discovered almost by accident* that it would handle a 2x4GB Crucial SO-DIMM kit rated at a higher speed than would be selectable in BIOS, so it runs at DDR2 666.

I couldn't probably get a dime for it, then maybe someone might give me something. On the other hand, I can postpone buying a pricier current-gen model -- probably for even a few more years.

* The documentation for the E475M was ambiguous. It made one think that the limit was 4GB, and should have been specific that this meant "per module." I was lucky to figure it out.

imported_bman

Jul 29, 2007
Yea, I think that makes the most sense. It's got Vista home basic on it so I might do a fresh install of 7 pro, probably fetch $60 out of it as it's in mint condition.

If you are installing a legit version of Windows the key is worth more than $60.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
Research the specs on the laptop and determine the size and model of the largest memory-kit available. If there are empty slots, determine the cost and size of using them with another module or another kit.

Then, use the information as a selling point, provide the information about resellers for purchase, and cut it loose for whatever you can get for it.

Looking at the specs for that model and a similar HP, I see it's about the same generation as my own laptop. I never bought a new laptop. Mine is an old Gateway E475M "executive" dual-core Celeron/Centrino. For most conventional office tasks it is perfectly adequate -- and I can even watch TV on it from my Silicon Dust Ethernet tuners wirelessly -- until someone flips on the microwave.

I think I upgraded the "G" wireless Intel NIC to an "N" which cost me about $10. I connected a 500GB MX100 SSD to the Gateway's SATA II controller, and discovered almost by accident* that it would handle a 2x4GB Crucial SO-DIMM kit rated at a higher speed than would be selectable in BIOS, so it runs at DDR2 666.

I couldn't probably get a dime for it, then maybe someone might give me something. On the other hand, I can postpone buying a pricier current-gen model -- probably for even a few more years.

* The documentation for the E475M was ambiguous. It made one think that the limit was 4GB, and should have been specific that this meant "per module." I was lucky to figure it out.
Thanks for the response, it's "supposed" to support only 3Gb but there are many 4Gb upgrade kits selling on Ebay for it. HP has the owners manual online and shows how to upgrade the ram but fails to list the specs as to what type and what density it will take.