Memory probs in Win ME

paruhd0x

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
I originally had 256MB of ram in my system, i recently added a 512MB dimm from Crucial. I stuck it in and it seemed to work fine.

But now on more then one occasion I am getting Windows "not enough memory please close a program to free up some" (not exact message but i get the point across)

I was wondering if there was something I need to do so Windows ME works well with my new total of 768MB of RAM?

tedthebear

Jul 5, 2001
I read somewhere that Windows Me can only support 512 mb RAM or less. Over 512 mb, it gets confused. I think there's some kind of tweak you can do to make it work though...maybe someone here can point you in that direction. Try posting this in Technical Support.
Good luck.

Barnaby W. Füi

Elite Member
Aug 14, 2001
yeah win9x does not deal well with more than 256 or 512MB ram. there are workarounds, however i'm not sure exactly how well they work.

paruhd0x

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
I set it to this:

[VCache]
MaxFileCache=524288

And when i rebooted everything in windows ME crashed and finally the computer bluescreened and i had to reboot into safe mode and delete MaxFileCache=524288 from the system.ini

Any ideas why it reacted that way? Any other work around to get Win ME to work with 768MB RAM?

Figured it out... no need for reply