Question Memory compatibility questions

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I'll try to make this short.

So, currently using 2x 16GB sticks, 3200Mhz CL14. Works very well, been using them for a few years now (used on my previous Ryzen 3700X setup, and still do right now on my Ryzen 5800X setup as shown in my rig specs in signature). A friend of mine is about to get his first 'gaming' PC in many years and is on a tight budget; I'll be nearly giving my current sticks for free. No probs there.

Now, I'm looking for new Memory myself for my current setup. I thought might as well go a little higher than what I had in terms of speed, but not above the 'limit' of 4000 (well, 2000) for AMD Ryzen systems as I've read a little bit on the subject. There's higher rated Memory speeds out there but it's a gamble beyond 4000, I don't want to deal with that stuff.

SO... with all this said...

Got my eyes on a specific Memory kit, 2x 16GB G.Skill TridentZ, rated at 4000Mhz CL16-16-16 (F4-4000C16D-32GTZRA). Nice specs, decent upgrade from what I had. Price would be alright for me right now, a bit pricey but it's ok considering I normally don't upgrade my Memory often at all (the current situation is an exception to help a friend, normally I use Memory sticks for a good 3 to 4 years).

Alright. So, module chosen: but is it compatible?

Simple enough, I go on the ASUS site, and check my Motherboard's page and look at the Memory compatibility list, here's a direct link for that page:

Now, here's the "problem".

1) I use the filter, set Memory size at 2x 16GB.
2) Next filter by CPU series, AMD 5000 series.
3) The search results show up.
4) There is NOT A SINGLE module of Memory listed for 3800Mhz or 4000Mhz.

It goes from 3600Mhz to a sudden gap up to 4266Mhz, 4600Mhz and 4700Mhz.

Am I missing something here or...? Did they just really not test a single Memory kit between 3600Mhz and 4266Mhz for this particular motherboard? o_O

So, final questions: Would I "risk" it by buying the kit I spotted because it's not listed on the official support list? Or are the risks of that module not working so low that I should go for it anyway?

The major problem, however, is that NO Memory (of any brand, or anything) was tested above 3600Mhz up to 4266Mhz for me to KNOW which actual module WOULD work on my motherboard...

So I'm not sure what to do. I'd appreciate some guidance on this, thank you.

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I would buy from Amazon and test it myself within the 30 day return period.

QVL's aren't comprehensive of all brands and speeds. As long as you're within the specs of all components it's a safe bet.

Check the CPU / MOBO for what options you can use and compare.

1653455330284.png
Looking at this there's a 3800 at the top end.

There might be some limitation based on the CPU as to high you can actually go and be able to post / run. It's not like 4000 is really going to make that big of a difference in how things run compared to 3200.

IIRC I was using 2466 on a 9750H and now I'm running 3200 on a 12700H but, the performance boost is more related to the CPU than the ram. I aim for cheap but worthwhile upgrades. The system was a barebones purchase since I have most of the parts that weren't included to not clutter my parts box further with a new system by pulling the junk OEMs use in place of performance parts to keep costs down and margins up. Added 32GB for ~$105, swapped the WIFI card for my existing AX210, swapped my drives around to put in SN850 / CS3030.

On my server I just went with 3600 16GB. Why the laptop vs desktop different speeds was based on the CPU specs being slightly different.

Reactions: Zenoth

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
It is very likely that DDR4 4000 kit is well binned Samsung B-die. Now it may not run at 4000MHz easily, considering Ryzens can have trouble running over 1900MHz FCLK. But you would likely be able to run DDR4 3800 at slightly tighter timings. YMMV, but if you are ok with paying for that kit, may as well try it, though you will need to tweak a little. The bottom line is, to get above 3600MHz or so, you will need to play around with some settings and tweak with trial and error.

Reactions: Zenoth