Memory card reader problems

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
Hi All,

System specs:

ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution
Couple of SSD's and spindle drives etc.
Windows 7

If I put an SD memory card into a reader while the computer is running, the drive letter pops up in my computer but when I click on it, it says "please insert a disk into removable disk (x:)" and it doesnt let me access my pics and video from my cameras.

If I leave the card in the reader and reboot the computer, I can go into my computer and have access to all my files no problem.

I have this problem with both an internal memory card reader thats plugged into a USB header on the mobo and the reader built into my monitor (Dell U2410) that is plugged into a USB port. Also with multiple cards. Device manager shows the readers and everything looks to be working.

Any help would be appreciated.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
The fact that everything works fine if you reboot is a flag. Trying to figure it out from here is the challenge. Do you have the drivers loaded for your Dell monitor? I know all monitor are Plug and Play but sometimes built-in things like card readers are not.

One other thing to try is to go into the BIOS and find the setting "Reset ESCD Data" or similar. Read your MB manual if you're not sure what this is. ESCD = (Extended System Configuration Data)
What it does, essentially is makes the MB/BIOS forget that anything is attached to it (cards/peripheral devices/etc) and resets all the IRQs. This has worked for me in the past when adding new HW. It has nothing to do with your Windows install and won't screw anything up.

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
Thanks for the reply. I have installed the .inf for the monitor but no change.

I'm pretty familiar with the BIOS and there is no option for the ESCD or anything like it. I will read the manual now to see if I am missing anything.

I should have mentioned this in the original post but both readers worked before on the same system. I recently upgraded my boot SSD so reinstalled Windows 7 about 2 weeks ago and have had this problem since.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Are you using AHCI or "Legacy IDE"? Not that it should matter for a USB device, but I thought I might check. Also, turn off any "Legacy USB" settings.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Have you tried booting a Linux live CD like Ubuntu and seeing if you can hot plug memory cards there? That would determine whether or not it is a software or hardware issue.

d4a2n0k

May 6, 2002
Ive never touched Linux. Would I need some Linux experience or is it as easy as burning an ISO to disc and booting from that?

moutwtrng

Jul 14, 2011
I'm having the same problem as well!D:

Was there any solution ever found for this problem?

moutwtrng

Jul 14, 2011
Just wanted to give an update. I finally got the Card reader working!!!! I came by this solution purely by accident when I was doing a fresh insta. Although I wasnt able to pinpoint the actual cause of the problem heres the steps that i did to make it start working again.

1. Update to the latest bios
2. Format drive and do a fresh install of windows 7
3. Update windows until there is nothing to update
4. install MB software downloaded directly from asus website (do not use the installer cd)
5. After each program installation I test to see if the card reader is still working to make sure if any program is causing the problem.

I also did not install the memory card reader software and the reader is working fine w/o it.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
:thumbsup: Most card readers are just generic USB mass storage devices, so I'm kind of surprised that there was any sort of software with it to begin with. You certainly didn't need it (as you discovered!).