Memories

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
I have to warn you - the following probably is not going to make much sense if you're not at least 30-35 years old. ;)

I was listening to a song I have not heard for years (Black Sabbath - Johnny Blade off the Never Say Die Album) and all the times I've listened to it eons ago there was a nasty scratch on my LP that made the song skip several grooves.

Well fast forward to now. When I hear it and the part comes up in my mind I hear the music skipping and briefly the beat sounds off until I realize there is no skipping on this tape! It's amazing how you get accustomed to hearing it in the same spot that many years. :Q

To a lesser extent (and a lot of you probably know what I'm talking about here) is when you hear a single off an album you've listened to when it's over you "hear" the next song start playing in your head.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Rubycon
I have to warn you - the following probably is not going to make much sense if you're not at least 30-35 years old. ;)

I was listening to a song I have not heard for years (Black Sabbath - Johnny Blade off the Never Say Die Album) and all the times I've listened to it eons ago there was a nasty scratch on my LP that made the song skip several grooves.

Well fast forward to now. When I hear it and the part comes up in my mind I hear the music skipping and briefly the beat sounds off until I realize there is no skipping on this tape! It's amazing how you get accustomed to hearing it in the same spot that many years. :Q

To a lesser extent (and a lot of you probably know what I'm talking about here) is when you hear a single off an album you've listened to when it's over you "hear" the next song start playing in your head.

I can actually relate with mp3s! :laugh:

for a long while, I was burning music cds with Nero (well, still do), but if they were regular audio cds, songs when skip at random times (but always the same, just random parts of the song). Traced it down to some dll file that handles mp3 to audio cd conversion. But some songs that I hadn't listened to in awhile recently, I remember always hearing the skip when listening to it in my car. I played it off my Zune in my car, and no skip. It sounded strange to me, it was a good couple 5 second skip right near the beginning that always drove me nuts.

+

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Pretty much any song off Abbey Road works like that when they peel a single out of that album:)

rocadelpunk

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
After receiving a marantz 2245 receiver form my father and getting it serviced I am completely sold on the warm vintage sound.

Completely stopped buying cds and have been purchasing vinyl. It's making a comeback : )

Mar 11, 2004
I had a somewhat similar, although also different experience. There's some music I listened to when I was younger and had crappy audio stuff. I listened to it again more recently and heard stuff that I never knew was there, which was sometimes good sometimes bad, as there was one song that had a really annoying constant noise that I never used to hear, but now sticks out very noticeably. There was also an MP3 of some song that had some weird audio effect (was put in there intentionally to screw up the song, but it was the only one up to that point that I'd heard anything like it on), and then a friend had it playing in their car and it didn't do it.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
bought a USB turntable to convert my vinyl to MP3...have finished about 10 LP's so far...

neat toy...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah, when I know which song is next on an mp3 CD of 140-170 songs in my car, I know it's time to make a new disc.

Billb2

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Rubycon

Well fast forward to now. When I hear it and the part comes up in my mind I hear the music skipping and briefly the beat sounds off until I realize there is no skipping on this tape! It's amazing how you get accustomed to hearing it in the same spot that many years.
It just takes some time to "re-groove" yourself to the song, then you'll be OK again!