I just bought:
Item 1: 100 PACK SPINDLE CD-R 40X (486568) @ $39.98
Item 2: MEMOREX 48X24X24 CDRW DRIVE(495519) @ $69.94
Total: $109.92
$30 off $100 Coupon: -$30.00
Total Tax: $6.59
Order Total: $86.51
CD-R Rebate: -$20.00 (expired 12/31/02)
CDRW DRIVE Rebate: -$20.00 (expired 11/09/02)
Total: $46.51

This is about the price of buying the CDRW along and I get 100 40X CD-R for free. Also, it's possible that I can flash the MEMOREX 48X24X24 CDRW DRIVE to a 52X drive. This is cheaper than the OfficeMax deal if I can flash it!

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I can attest to the deal with the Memorex 48Maxx drive. I purchased one about 4 days ago from Staples. All Memorex 48x drives *are* Lite-On drives. I flashed mine to 52/24/52 this morning.

Please see the following thread for more details on the flash process where I documented the issues experienced - along with what was done to get the drive successfully flashed: CDFreaks Forum

DTBH

Apr 14, 2001
good deal!

Was reading your post and thought the rebates were expired like you typed. Should be expires... got tricked! :) thanks for the deal

rryde12

Oct 29, 2002
Where can I get teh Staples Coupon?

---

Please read the rules for our Hot Deals forum. It says:

DO NOT post:
  • Coupon or promotion numbers.
  • Links to coupon numbers you could not post, here.
  • Links to scans of coupons other than those listed, above.
  • Requests for others to post or send you coupon numbers or offers to send them to anyone else.
Thank you,

AnandTech Moderator

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: rryde12
Where can I get teh Staples Coupon?
Dude, don't beg for the coupons. It's a prohibited practice on these forums. People might be willing to assist you - provided, you turn on your Private Messages. :)

BeastBuy

Oct 28, 2002
Originally posted by: wje
I can attest to the deal with the Memorex 48Maxx drive. I purchased one about 4 days ago from Staples. All Memorex 48x drives *are* Lite-On drives. I flashed mine to 52/24/52 this morning.

Please see the following thread for more details on the flash process where I documented the issues experienced - along with what was done to get the drive successfully flashed: CDFreaks Forum

Besides the boost to 52x and the name change to Lite-On, is there any other added benefit to flashing? I picked up this drive as well, and it works nicely. I wouldn't want to mess with it unless there was a really good reason :confused:

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BeastBuy

Besides the boost to 52x and the name change to Lite-On, is there any other added benefit to flashing? I picked up this drive as well, and it works nicely. I wouldn't want to mess with it unless there was a really good reason :confused:

BestBuy,

Actually, there is a very valid reason to get rid of the Memorex firmware that is on this drive. My drive shipped with firmware release '6WS2' on it - and I'm sure all of the others have too. Using the Nero Info tool, I checked the drive and the following information was returned to me:

Write speed: 40x
Read speed: 8x

WTF?? Memorex is selling this drive underclocked!! :(

However, once I flashed mine with the '6S02' Lite-On firmware, the Nero Info tool now reports the following:

Write speed: 52x
Read speed: 52x

Yeah, baby - just as it should be. ;)

If anyone is about to flash their firmware on this drive ........ please ensure that you make a copy of the existing firmware via the Mtkflash utility. Please send me a copy of this firmware - Please, please, please. :) I just want the firmware in the event I ever need to send the drive back to Memorex for warranty purposes.

I still can't believe how Memorex "underclocked" this drive and wrote on the box what it was capable of - damn them. :( Maybe, I'll flash mine back to the old firmware, document it and send them a letter demanding reimbursement for false advertising. :)

Enjoy!! :) :)

BeastBuy

Oct 28, 2002
That's odd, WJE, that your drive was underclocked... Mine was recognized as a 48x by Nero (5.5.9.17) maybe because my firmware release was SWS3? Anyways, if you'd like that one for any reason, just gimme a holler.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BeastBuy
That's odd, WJE, that your drive was underclocked... Mine was recognized as a 48x by Nero (5.5.9.17) maybe because my firmware release was SWS3? Anyways, if you'd like that one for any reason, just gimme a holler.

Yes, weird it is. I'll E-mail you a request for the firmware. I'm going to put up a page with the various firmware releases so we contain all of this information on one page. Right now, this information is floating all over the place at the CDFreaks forum - and it's getting hard to keep straight.

lightpants, I never received the firmware - I'll send you an E-mail also.

Thanks! ;)

Hugo59

Mar 30, 2001
Thank you Kuma and wje. I got in on the deal and upgraded the drive last night to the lite-on 52x.

Thanks agian.

kenja

Sep 19, 2001
An open letter to junior members, etc.:

Most every coupon can be found via google, but the easiest route for me is to go to a certain deals site and search their forum using the store name. The site I'm talking about is so hot, the Anandtech software will reject a post mentioning it by name.

Here's a clue: f@tw@llet

By the way, would someone please send me the coupon for the free Anandtech vacation deal?

(j/k):)

------------------------------

Mod Edit:

By the way, would someone please send me the coupon for the free Anandtech vacation deal?

Here's a clue for you, it's when one thinks they are so sly by doing something like this to circumvent the rules:

Here's a clue: f@tw@llet

;)

ghetto buck

Feb 29, 2000
Is this drive quiet at high speeds? Also is there anything on staples.com that is around $30 and closer to free after rebate to further pad drive savings since I have tons of cdr's?

WebDude

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'm in. By the way, does anyone know where you can get 24x CD-RW discs, reasonably priced, or just at all?

WebDude:cool:

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
[
Actually, there is a very valid reason to get rid of the Memorex firmware that is on this drive. My drive shipped with firmware release '6WS2' on it - and I'm sure all of the others have too. Using the Nero Info tool, I checked the drive and the following information was returned to me:

Write speed: 40x
Read speed: 8x

WTF?? Memorex is selling this drive underclocked!! :(

However, once I flashed mine with the '6S02' Lite-On firmware, the Nero Info tool now reports the following:

Write speed: 52x
Read speed: 52x

I have one small correction to make in regards to the statement that I made regarding read and write speeds in my posting. I found out that the Nero InfoTool may not properly report the correct read/write speeds though the utility itself. To properly report the results, a CDR must be utilized for the read/write tests to be properly reported. Additionally, I have read that the Memorex firmware is very, very similar to Lite-On firmware release '6S02.' With that being said, I want to appologize for misleading people if I have done so.

And with that note, I still believe there are advantages to using the Lite-On firmware over the Memorex firmware. Why, you ask? Well, Lite-On will make updates to the firmware on their drives at a much more rapid pace than Memorex will. The firmware updates may/may not include bug fixes, but will most likely include performance enhancers - or, turn on additional capabilities for the drive itself. Plus, if you hold onto a copy of the Memorex firmware, you could always flash the drive back to the correct release of firmware with the utility - provided, you needed to get the drive fixed for warranty purposes.

However, this is only a $29.95 CDRW drive. Overclock it, flash it, and most of all have fun with it. :) Heck, I remember paying $500 for my Intel CPUs and then messing around with overclocking them - which was a much bigger risk because of the price paid - and maybe a 30-day warranty, if even that. :(

Now, for the follow-ups:

Drive Noise: In my opinion, the drive only makes slightly more noise than my 24x Lite-On drive did. I don't consider this drive to be very noisy at all, actually. I think my old 32x NEC CDR drive was much, much louder when reading discs.

24 CDRW Media: No, I'm not familiar with a place/retailer/E-tailer that sells them. However, I would be interested in purchsing the media - if it were available.

$30 Staples Purchase: I'm not familiar with anything in the range of $30 that you could add to your cart which would allow you to use a larger coupon. However, if you lived anywhere close to me (Wash. D.C. area), I need office supplies - and could probably pick out $30 worth of supplies that I would buy off of you once you received them. ;)

Netma

Oct 16, 2000
I have ordered this drive together with the 100 pak of cdrs. I went to the link for the 6S02 firmware upgrade. Doesn't seem to be downloadable. I saved the page which I assume is a bin file. When I use the flash program do I need to use the /B parameter. I don't want to screw up my new drive. I have never flashed the firmware on a cdrw before.