Memorable "DOH!" moments in gaming

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
We covered the good things in the other thread. So what are your most memorable facepalms?

Some of mine:

The end of Max Payne (The last shot you have to take). I spent at least 2 days trying to solve that last level, literally sniping every pixel on the screen before I gave up and looked it up online. *facepalm*

I played through half of PoR:Ruins of Myth Drannor before figuring out there was an autorun key. I mean - It would take literally 5 fricking minutes for my party to walk slowly from one end of the dungeon to the other. I could go make myself a sandwich. *facepalm*

At the beginning of my one epic game of X2 I bashed the freighter Teracorp gives you into a another station trying to dock it, and I never realized that my speed took a major hit as a result. So instead of making a single long trip to repair it I ended up making a lot of trade runs that took forever. It was like riding a slug across the sector (Again, I could have a sandwich during each trip). *facepalm*

The first time I played Tomb Raider 2 and got to the opera house I carelessly pressed buttons and switches. Unfortunately one of them sent an elevator down, and I didn't catch it. So I thought the elevator shaft was an empty hole. I must have searched that opera house for two weeks (I had no internet and a lot more patience back then). Every time I came to the same elevator button I would press it once, wait a few seconds while nothing happened, and then press it again - never allowing the elevator to come back. I eventually gave up on the game in frustration. It wasn't until months later that I checked a hint book at Blockbuster and realized that it was an elevator shaft that I was able to continue the game.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
SWTOR - I was picking my Jedi Knight advanced class, wanted Sentinel but decided to look at the guardian details too. The UI decided that closing the review window meant that I wanted to choose Guardian.

SWTOR does not give you a second chance to pick your advanced class. or let you respec that part. D'OH!

Double D'OH! since melee tanks are currently too squishy in SWTOR :(

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
I was playing Darksiders and I had just done a major dungeon near the end and some imprisoned angel was going to explain a major story and plot point. I accidentally hit the A button and skipped the cinema that explained the whole thing... So I had to piece together what happened from other people playing the game and wiki... was so mad there was no way to replay the cinema.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
º Mass Effect 2

It's the latest one, but certainly not the only one.

The human-reaper hybrid at the end, I'm not sure if even calling it a "faceplam moment" is precise enough. To be honest I just couldn't believe that BioWare - of all developers - (and whomever was behind the actual writing of the story, something I wasn't sure of when I first played the game) could possibly come up with such a "boss" as part of the conclusion of a trilogy's development. I was speechless, looking at the screen, barely focused for the fight itself as I was watching that thing trying to be intimidating whilst myself trying to make some sense out of it, and couldn't. I still remember shacking my head in disbelief and thinking "... bah, whatever, let's finish this so I can go play something else".

I mean, overall ME2 despite the story holes does have great moments, it does! But specifically that part was just... nah, couldn't believe it. I remember telling myself, after the fight, «They better explain that part in details in ME3».

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Heavy Rain: Revelation of the Origami Killer.

Ruined an epic experience for me. The game till then = brilliant. The revelation = meh.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
The original Dark Forces - Nar Shaddar level. I spent HOURS running around the first half of the level because I could not figure out where to go to get through the level. I searched high and low. I finally found the little hallway that took me to the next section. It wasn't all that easy to see and kind of tucked out of the way where you'd wouldn't expect it to be. Man I loved that game, but that part was frustrating.

CrimsonWolf

Oct 28, 2000
Remember this bastard from Half-Life? http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Tentacle

I finally made my way near the bottom of the pit so I hit quick save. About 1 second later it turns me into a pile of gibs. I reloaded a dozen times to try to avoid the impending doom but just had to give up and replay the section.

That was over ten years ago but to this day I still get paranoid about quick saving in a dangerous spot.

Daverino

Platinum Member
Mar 15, 2007
System Shock 2.

I got to the end with the upside-down ship. I quick-saved on a ladder, but somehow the save thought I was in mid-air. I died and reloaded only to find myself plummeting to my death. It was the only save I had. Eventually had to start the game over from the beginning.

LurkerPrime

Aug 11, 2010
I had one of these moments in Final Fantasy Tactics for playstation. Around 1/3 of the game in you fight 3 battles back to back and it allows you to save after each one. Well dumb me saved in my first save slot after the first battle and the second save slot after the second battle. Well the third battle is your first real super boss fight. Needless to say I wasn't even close to a sufficient level to take him on. I tried about 15 times to no avail. Since I saved over my two saves and I was stuck in the battle sequence I ended up having to start all over.

Last edited:

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
I didn't know you could save in X-COM ufo defense, mid mission, until years later.

OP the opera house in TR2 is what caused me to give up on that game, I probably did the same thing, but gave up.

Feb 6, 2007
I played through Half-Life, TFC and CS for a few months with a computer with no discrete graphics card. I ended up getting a Voodoo 5 and was awe-struck by how awesome everything looked... except I forgot to enable OpenGL and was still running in software mode. I didn't figure that out until I had played through Half-Life AGAIN, and spent a few more weeks running around in TFC and CS. When I finally realized what I'd been missing out on, I was dumbstruck, primarily at how dumb I'd been to not enable the right options when I upgraded my hardware (which led to a third playthrough of Half-Life, as well as Opposing Force and Blue Shift).

Rocksinhead

Nov 1, 2008
First time I played Oblivion I didn't realize how the leveling worked and power leveled one skill to get it to 100 and then found out I had leveled up enough for something like 10 levels and only got to pick a good stat bonus +5 for that one stat. It sucked more cause I think I power leveled stealth and barely used the stat that got me. Thanks to world leveling my guy was waaaay underpowered against the rest of the world and I had a hard time in battles after that. Next new character was a beast as I kept track of my stats as I leveled each skill and always got +5 every level up.

First time playing Half Life I kept thinking I could save the poor scientist on the bridge that collapses when you get too close. Killed that guy quite a few times trying to get to him sooner. Also thought the army guys were on my side and I had done something to piss them off at first.

Chapbass

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
I played through Half-Life, TFC and CS for a few months with a computer with no discrete graphics card. I ended up getting a Voodoo 5 and was awe-struck by how awesome everything looked... except I forgot to enable OpenGL and was still running in software mode. I didn't figure that out until I had played through Half-Life AGAIN, and spent a few more weeks running around in TFC and CS. When I finally realized what I'd been missing out on, I was dumbstruck, primarily at how dumb I'd been to not enable the right options when I upgraded my hardware (which led to a third playthrough of Half-Life, as well as Opposing Force and Blue Shift).

LOL This x 1000.

I remember buying a voodoo2 1000 card used somewhere, plugged it in and was FLOORED. I couldn't believe that there was a game that had what I considered two completely separate graphics settings (settings isn't the right word, but you get the idea). I called a friend of mine and was just like "Holy crap you need to come over RIGHT NOW and see this, we've been missing out for years...."

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
When I tried this code on every new game I got: up,up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A

Because it worked on the first 3 games I got (Then realized - it only worked for Konami games)...o_O

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Some "Yet Another Stupid Death"s in Nethack come to mind -- trying to wield a cockatrice corpse with no gloves, walking right up to Medusa, etc.

If we include consoles, it took me an absurd amount of time to figure out how to fish in Zelda Twilight Princess, so I kept wandering around the tutorial section forever.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
When I got "popped" in a d2 duel. Items have to be put on in the right order to work and you go to grab your corpse but your inventory is full and POP. All your items all over the place free to grab for everyone with space in their inventory.

Born2bwire

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2005
Some "Yet Another Stupid Death"s in Nethack come to mind -- trying to wield a cockatrice corpse with no gloves, walking right up to Medusa, etc.

If we include consoles, it took me an absurd amount of time to figure out how to fish in Zelda Twilight Princess, so I kept wandering around the tutorial section forever.

I started a replay of Twilight Princess the other week. Herding the goats, easy peasy. Fishing, "HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS WORK?"... "GOD DAMMIT CAT, TAKE THE FISH! WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME!!! FUCK!"

Don't know why but it took a long time before the cat would take the fish. Still don't remember what you were supposed to do.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I thought of another funny one.

At teh beginning of Gothic you run into two guards at a brodge, and you can ask one where the old camp is. He replies "It's under the bridge".

The first time I played Gothic I jumped into the water and looked under the bridge. lol

waterstain

Sep 9, 2011
■ My earliest duh moment was playing through Thief, keyboard only … You heard right, NO mouse. Used the directional keys to look around.

I was still pretty new to gaming … :p

■ A more recent duh moment was *recalling* I had a flashlight in Fallout 3 at the 67 hour mark! Too many dark tunnels and rooms I had to feel my way through!

Last edited: