Melatonin: Yea? Nay? Side Effects?

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I have been having trouble sleeping as of late, and was considering going down to the local GNC to pick up some Melatonin and give it a try.

My only concern is that this stuff is a hormone if i'm not mistaken, and I was wondering if using Melatonin has any side effects? Also, how effective is it?

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Actually, I just found out its sale is prohibited in Canada.

Can anyone recommend something else?

ShallowHal

Nov 15, 2001
I don't know of anything else like melatonin. It works great for me and there are no side effects. Short term anyway. Who knows 10 years from now.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
always worked for me when i worked grave shift and would come home wide awake. don't know of alternatives. have you tried "simply sleep"? that works for me. or a shot of scotch or brandy before bed? :D

Feb 10, 2000
I like melatonin a lot, and have found it effective and free from side effects. According to my doctor, it does not work at all for many people, though.

Feb 10, 2000

<< I took Melatonin from GNC until I heard some disturbing statements about the drug.

Then I took it back to GNC and got a refund.
>>

Huh? I read that entire article and it seems to generally praise the use of melatonin as a sleep aid and implies it might have other benefits as well. It does say it should be used under the supervision of a physician, but my doctor tells me it is a safe sleep aid and encourages its use.

rahvin

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I took one (can't remember the size) pill a few years ago, I was wiped out and sleepy for 3 days. Gotta watch the use of that stuff in younger people, it's a very potent hormone that triggers sleep.

Stifko

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 1999
I take it sometimes too, it helps a lot. I don't have any side effects, I think. It doesn't always make me sleepy though. I once heard that it has some similarities to LSD. Kind of like over-the-counter acid, but don't quote me on that pls.

slunk

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2000
I also take it sometimes. It always helps when I think I won't be able to fall asleep. Never experienced any side-effects, besides a peaceful night of dreaming.

jmitchell

Oct 10, 2001
I tried it for two weeks, in 1.2 mg doses. I would say that it may have helped me to fall asleep faster on one or two occassions, but for the most part, it did nothing. I had no nightmares, as some people experience, and I even had very light/almost sleepless nights on it. It did give me an interesting whole-body kind of warmness, kind of similar to taking a non time-release niacin supplement on an empty stomach, but more pleasant. I say it's definitely worth a try. It's very cheap considering what it could do for you and your health, if it works for you. Maybe just bumping up to the 4mg pills would have worked better for me...

mattyrug

Golden Member
Sep 25, 2000
I took it a few times, and had worse nightmares than I already do. It work great for other people I know. If i'm really tired, I'll take a few cold medicine pills (Benadryl, or Tylenol) and that does the trick for me!

killface

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2001
Current research shows it is likely nothing more than a placebo. I also don't think it can cross the blood-brain barrier

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
It wasn't the article that disturbed me (did a search on Google for melatonin), just stuff that I had heard from people.

KokomoGST

Diamond Member
Nov 13, 2001
I was listening to the radio while doing some errands and a psychopharmacist was talking about sleep aids and was talking about melatonin. I'm not sure if this is correct but he stated that melatonin seems to be of use for those who wake up at night and have a craving to eat due to a low energy level. He called it the "Dagwood Bumstead" effect... he said something about your body's internal workings/chemicals and stuff as the reason.
You might want to consult a physician since nowadays sleep drugs are much more effective and safe than before.

911paramedic

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
I would be concerned taking hormones (melatonin) because you never know what it will do to your own natural production. Glad you are trying something else.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Melatonin not bad minimal side effects other than GI
Benadryl very good . . . but you could essentially grab any regular antihistamine and it will make you drowsy
Sonata need a Rx . . . and any decent doc will only write for a few days
Ambien ditto

Two other herbal options are kava kava and valerian root. Like the other "nutriceuticals" you don't need a Rx but odds are what it says on the label will not be found in the bottle . . . typically much more or much less.

You probably have sleep etiquette issues check out . . .National Sleep Foundation.

If you get up an hour earlier every day it WILL help you go to sleep at night. Plus lay off the caffeine, alcohol, and ATOT.