Melania has Her platform

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
What? You don't remember the countless memes Democrats were emailing each other making fun of her kids?

I'm sure if you ask nicely haybausa will be able to find plenty of threads where people here were making fun of palins son. I'm positive he wont be linking to some random person on the internet as his example of both sides, he's too objective to fall for that. /s

Who was Trigs mom? Oh yeah Oliva. Back in your deplorable basket.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
and who they stole from, black artists

Most of these songs were considered traditional with no real copyright attributable to them. I think [the estate of] Leabelly was one of the primary plaintiffs, right? But just because the artists made a particularly famous recording of the tune, doesn't mean they owned that tune.

It would be like trying to sue some musician for recording "In the Pines" and declaring which of several dozens of Bluegrass artists "owned it."

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
They are one of my favs, but I think he is referencing that Zep has been accused of copying songs quite a bit.
Oh I know, but when people think of their legacy, plagiarism is not the first thing that comes to mind, and it seemed like an odd analogy...but then again, the whole angst against Melania is a bit odd.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
and who they stole from, black artists
American blues is what inspired the whole British rock invasion, and every rock artist from the era, from Cream to the Rolling Stones to the Beatles to Led Zeppelin, acknowledges this.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Oh I know, but when people think of their legacy, plagiarism is not the first thing that comes to mind, and it seemed like an odd analogy...but then again, the whole angst against Melania is a bit odd.
There is no angst against Melania. There is angst against Melania plagiarizing Michelle Obama for the second time

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
There is no angst against Melania. There is angst against Melania plagiarizing Michelle Obama for the second time
That sounds a little angsty...what is wrong with one First Lady building on the legacy of a previous one, especially for something as inane as a pamphlet?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
That sounds a little angsty...what is wrong with one First Lady building on the legacy of a previous one, especially for something as inane as a pamphlet?
Nothing but she did not acknowledge work by Michelle. In fact in the first iteration of the pamphlet it was stated Melania wrote it. They later had to revise.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Nothing but she did not acknowledge work by Michelle. In fact in the first iteration of the pamphlet it was stated Melania wrote it. They later had to revise.
Would you say the pamphlet and the cause it supports is a net positive or negative to society?

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Would you say the pamphlet and the cause it supports is a net positive or negative to society?

I could copy the intellectual property of a company and make it cheaper to the world, most likely making it a net positive to society as it would cheapen progress for the whole in a large step vs piecemeal as it trickled down.

We could do this all day.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I could copy the intellectual property of a company and make it cheaper to the world, most likely making it a net positive to society as it would cheapen progress for the whole in a large step vs piecemeal as it trickled down.

We could do this all day.
A government informational pamphlet is not IP.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

It's the thought that counts.

This whole thing is a farce.

Trump has made his life mission destroying Obama. Yet his wife copies an Obama.

Trump has made it his career to be a bully. Melania now claims this is her life to destroy.

Trump has railed against immigration including chain migration. Melania's parents get here recently by chain migration.

If you can't see the joke's on you then so be it. It's a giant joke. Melania is laughing all the way to her pre-nup.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Just another scene in reality TV presidency. Stay tuned for the next episode, dont miss any conservative hijinks

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I hope the initiative does some good. If the materials and program Michelle put together are good, I'm glad she stole it for the sake of those who benefit from it. Separately, is there anyone that scrutinizes what she does before going public with it (e.g. the plaigarized speech)? I'm also bugged by the name "Be Best". No it doesn't have to be proper grammar, but the sound of it undercuts me. If the program were innovative and reflective of Melania's independent passion and if she were endearing as a figure, its quirkiness might be a perk, but she doesn't really seem to inspire anyone as a role model.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
If you can't see the joke's on you then so be it. It's a giant joke. Melania is laughing all the way to her pre-nup.
It’s a joke all right, not sure you’ve correctly identified who the target is.

I hope a net positive so why lie about its origin? Or is lying like breathing to these Trumps???
You haven’t figured out yet that Trump is running his administration like a reality show? Tune in next week for more staged outrage and drama.

Feb 16, 2005
I think she’s a smart woman who never expected her husband to win and doesn’t particularly like him much less love, but ended up in the situation that’s she’s in and feeling trapped at that. It’s not an enviable position and she’s by and large stayed out of politics other than going to his speeches. She and Baron (and Tiffany if she still exists) should be off limits imo. The older kids got involved so they’re absolutely fair game.
nope, melania is fair game, barron, not so much, he is a child.
she put herself in this situation and it's not like drumpf morphed into this shitbag overnight, he's always been a shitbag, even before melania was born

Reactions: Kobota
Feb 4, 2009

Melania entered this voluntarily so I feel no shame saying this efforts foundation was built on something Obama did.
Melania has been cited for plagiarism multiple times.
I don’t think Melania wrote the entire thing.

I do think whoever is incharge of this initiative should have been much more careful of plagiarism given previous events
I do think Melania could have cited the old work and said something like I’m bringing attention to this. There is no why this should have been promoted as a new thing when clearly it’s not.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
So you think that she is a very stupid person who knew nothing about the guy she was going to marry?
Their marriage was a cynically transactional relationship based on money and social access. Beyond that, who knows what she's like at the core of her being? I certainly don't.

What I do know is that her handlers -- those who copied Michelle's speech and those who now copied the bullying pamphlet -- are lazy, ignorant plagiarists who fall right in line with the abysmally low standards of the folks Trump surrounds himself with.

"The best people" my ass. :rolleyes:

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
American? Yes, yes we are. What's good for the goose.

But, no, I dont remember the Palin thing. I'll look it up, I'm not a big fan of these things, it's just obvious Cons dont give a shit what spills out of their pie holes, but scream bloody murder over anything that isn't part of their rhetoric.

Here's an example of what I'm referring to https://www.theblaze.com/news/2011/...syndrome-suffering-trig-palin-on-his-birthday

This was good too.

getfile

That crap is pretty hurtful. Doesn't make what anyone else does right but it's there. Get even, take that eye, doesn't seem like a very good way to live or as an accepted part of an ideology.

Feb 4, 2009
Their marriage was a cynically transactional relationship based on money and social access. Beyond that, who knows what she's like at the core of her being? I certainly don't.

What I do know is that her handlers -- those who copied Michelle's speech and those who now copied the bullying pamphlet -- are lazy, ignorant plagiarists who fall right in line with the abysmally low standards of the folks Trump surrounds himself with.

"The best people" my ass. :rolleyes:

Oddly Howard Stern has had the most accurate insight to the Trump world. His comments were essentially:
Melania is very sweet woman who doesn’t like to talk much and is a little like him as she prefers not to be at parties and events. He really liked that she and him didn’t feel the need to talk to each other.

The takeaway she wants to live an easy life