Megamillions now 1.6B!!

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I just mean strictly to hide your name from the public so you don't get 12 billion calls from people claiming to be cancer victim and asking for your winning dollars.

Personally I'm ridiculously frugal. I would easily make it last for myself and my next generation.

The hiding your name part is only legal in certain states but if you live in one of them by all means, I'd do the same. Before I even claimed the prize I would also have a financial manager lined up too, I'd have it set up so that I just lived off of interest. If you took the lump sum payout and after taxes, you'd have roughly 530M in cash. Even at 2.5% a year which is easily doable in ultra-safe investment instruments you'd be bringing in a pre-tax $13.2M a year. If you can't live off of that then I don't know what to tell you. Personally, I'd have some of that money in growth funds that over time would increase my net worth. My will would have something similar set up for my kids with my intent for the same thing to be set up for their kids. That kind of money should last multiple generations even with estate taxes.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
I donated a few bucks to the cause on my own dime and purchased several tickets for the office pool earlier today. Crossing fingers.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Per ABC News, at least one winning ticket sold in SC.

Back to work I go in the morning. Boohoo.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I did not buy a ticket and no way in hell would I want to win that much money. It would seriously ruin your life, despite every one I know saying "yea those people are stupid, I'll be smarter than them" lol

People without money think it's so easy to manage the fame and fortune. Have you ever seen a famous person walking through an airport? Many "normal" people go crazy and rush over just to get a glimpse of them. Money changes people, so does having enough to buy things or people. No thanks, I'm poor, but generally happy.

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
Part of my winning strategy will include fake death, plastic surgery, and change of identity. Too bad only hit one number so will have to save that plan for another day. Executing plan B which is go back to work.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
No. That's not a good idea. The states getting is best. They really need the money badly anyway.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah tiat's kind of sickening that it just goes to the state. People already pay enough taxes. They should either give it to charity or just have a re-draw.

Actually I wonder what our lottery does when no one claims a prize, has that ever happened?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Yeah tiat's kind of sickening that it just goes to the state. People already pay enough taxes. They should either give it to charity or just have a re-draw.

Actually I wonder what our lottery does when no one claims a prize, has that ever happened?

On national level they go back into a pot to be used on a later draw or promotion.