Megadeth Fans

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Wow, this thread got interesting. :) Never realized there were so many metalheads here on ATOT.

I agree with rh71. All of you people think that Metallica makes music for you need to wake up. They are musicians. They are also people. Do you really expect people to stay the same? No, I didn't think so.

Metallica hasn't lost their edge. Metallica is still Metallica. Just because they've changed doesen't mean they have lost their edge.

I can't believe some of you think they lost it at Ride the Lightning. Geez! That was only their second album! It is a great album at that, but... to ignore Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All.. that's just kinda weird.

Originally posted by: Triumph
well, Kill Em All is all about Dave Mustaine anyway. Those are his solos you hear Kirk copying. I have a very early live recording of Metallica with Dave and then-new bassist Burton. It's in a small club, and it sounds almost exactly like Kill Em All. That shows two things; the effect that Dave had on the band, and just how freakin' good they were.
This is somewhat misleading. Those are NOT Dave's solos on Kill 'em All. Dave does NOT play lead anything like Kirk. Kirk joined the band 3 weeks before Kill 'em All was cut. He was told to start out each solo the same - the first few notes. From then on, it's all him though. But yes, I agree.. They were so good.. For a first album, Kill 'em All is amazing.

Originally posted by: Codewiz
Originally posted by: rh71
I'm a huge Metallica fan and gave Megadeth a try to no avail... it wasn't a competition thing... I was completely open-minded... but they just weren't up to par. I don't like Metallica's Load/Reload albums, but that doesn't mean they lost their edge. Ever realize they were simply trying something new? They let Hammett and Newsted write some of the songs for those albums for Christ's sake. And S&M... simply trying something new. What more did they have to prove in their old arena? Many interviews later, some of you still don't realize that. The word here is dynamic. Some hardcore fans didn't like the direction, but it brought them tons more fans... who can say... "yeah, I've heard of Metallica"... do you honestly think they needed more money?

Go to one of their concerts next year and tell me if they can't still play fast, hard, and heavy.

In interviews a few years ago they said they didn't want to make music like "Ride the Lightning" because it was technically too difficult. They got lazy and old. They lost their edge. Don't try to pull the Hemmett Newsted card because if you haven't kept up, Newsted is creating original creative music now. The rest of Metallica were the ones trying to keep Newsted from making good music outside of Metallica.
I fail to see how your last statement even matters in my argument. Nobody's talking about the guys keeping Newsted from making his own music... that's a well-known fact. But how does that matter here?

All I said was that Newsted and Hammett were allowed to contribute in Load/Reload and look where it landed the album. There was much hype in their upcoming release in '95, following a ridiculously well-selling Black Album, until the Load album ACTUALLY hit the shelves. Metallica didn't lose any velocity until that album. I won't even mention ReLoad. To each of us as fans, we have different tastes and some may think they stopped in their tracks after Burton's death, but how many fans came from the Justice days? And even more from TBA. Just because you lost interest in their sound doesn't mean they lost their edge. They still play most of the old stuff and about 4 or 5 post-'95 songs. When was the last time you went to their concert and didn't see them play Bellz or Fade. Hell, I saw them play Trapped Under Ice once. IF you stopped going to their concerts, well then that's your fault for not keeping up or even care to... in which case... you have no business arguing.

BTW, I applaud him standing up for himself and leaving the band to pursue his own creativity,... but I don't hear Echobrain doing all that well... do you ?

Well my point about Newsted was the fact that I don't think it was him or Hammett that made Load/reload the albums they were. How can you say they didn't lose their edge??? Listen to anything before the black album(which I dislike almost as much as load/reload) and then listen to Load/Reload. They are not the same band. Some of the solos are the same and the vocals are the same but that is it. I NEVER went to any of their concerts. I have no desire to pay $80 for decent tickets to see metallica. Especially when my friends who saw them in the 80's and seen them in the late 90's say the concerts are not nearly as good. Would I have paid $20 to see them in the 80's?? Heck yeah but I wasn't of age to make those decisions at that time.

Fans can like what they want but Metallica pre-Black album is not the same Metallica as post-Black album.

I actually don't go see many "mainstream" bands because I refuse to pay the price. I pretty much only go see local bands because money hasn't corrupted the scene.

That doesn't mean my opinion of the music is any less because I refuse to hand over my hard earned cash to hear subpar concerts.

Ok, this is rediculous, really. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Why is it that so many people think bands are like their personal servants or something? You are wrong. They are the same band, just 20 years older. Do any other bands out there sound like Metallica? Does Metallica sound like any other band out there? I didn't think so.

You never went to any of their concerts? Why? So basically, you punished yourself for not liking their new music? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. I paid 30$ to see Metallica on September 3rd, 1999, and it was the most incredible concert I've ever been to.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, if Metallica doesn't feel like making the kind of music I once loved them for, fine, obviously that's their decision, doesn't mean I have to like it though, and I sure don't.

I don't blame any individual member of Metallica for screwing up, it's all their choice, Im simply stating that I don't like the new path they've taken, and that Im disapointed in them as a band.

Oh well, at least Maiden hangs on to their old ideals, some people would call it boring, me, I love it, it was good back then, it's good now.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sunner
Well, if Metallica doesn't feel like making the kind of music I once loved them for, fine, obviously that's their decision, doesn't mean I have to like it though, and I sure don't.

I don't blame any individual member of Metallica for screwing up, it's all their choice, Im simply stating that I don't like the new path they've taken, and that Im disapointed in them as a band.

Oh well, at least Maiden hangs on to their old ideals, some people would call it boring, me, I love it, it was good back then, it's good now.

You can't really compare Iron Maiden to Metallica though. I mean, the only thing they have in common is that they both play metal. :p

You have to think about it from a normal persons point of view. I mean... Do you really expect someones ideals not to change from 20 years old to 40? I mean... Think about it. They are musicians. They play music. That's what they do. They don't care what we think of them. They're doing it because they like to do it. Do you play an instrument? Probably not, or you would understand...

Shrug. Just because you don't like their new sh!t doesen't mean you're forced to hate their old sh!t.

KingofFah

May 14, 2002
I am very tired of this new bands. A large majority of them rap to the music. I HATE RAP. When I came home from college for this Christmas break, I listened to my local radio stations. I was extremely angry to here eminem playing. Where can I go? Now I have to wait for a classic rock station for my generation of heavy metal, lol. I am just hoping Mustaine gets better and I have some good metal again. I am happy that Chris Cornell is making music again. Audioslave has some good songs, but I would not consider them anything above hard rock. I stopped listening to metallica a long time ago. The only mp3's I have of them are from their first cds. I consider metallica the sold out version of megadeth. Mustaine wrote good lyrics from Rust in Peace on. Before that, he was just too high to have anything good come from his lyrics. There were some good sounding riffs in those first cds, but lyric wise they did not have what they had in the later cds.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: KingofFah
I am very tired of this new bands. A large majority of them rap to the music. I HATE RAP. When I came home from college for this Christmas break, I listened to my local radio stations. I was extremely angry to here eminem playing. Where can I go? Now I have to wait for a classic rock station for my generation of heavy metal, lol. I am just hoping Mustaine gets better and I have some good metal again. I am happy that Chris Cornell is making music again. Audioslave has some good songs, but I would not consider them anything above hard rock. I stopped listening to metallica a long time ago. The only mp3's I have of them are from their first cds. I consider metallica the sold out version of megadeth. Mustaine wrote good lyrics from Rust in Peace on. Before that, he was just too high to have anything good come from his lyrics. There were some good sounding riffs in those first cds, but lyric wise they did not have what they had in the later cds.

That's why I don't listen to the radio.

If you want a cool band, download some Iced Earth. Dante's Inferno, The Phantom Opera Ghost, Prophecy, The Comming Curse, etc. :)

LethalWolfe

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2001
On topic: I hope Dave makes a full recovery and can someday get back on guitar. At the very least I'd love to see him producing and guiding new talent.

Off topic:
Re Metallica: 1. IMO Puppets is their best album hands down. I like all their albums though, but to each their own. 2. Hammet has song credit on every album except Kill'em All.

Originally posted by: CPA
Heavy Metal will never be as good as it was in the early to mid-80's. Never.

Yeah, long live Poison, Warrent, and White Snake... There are many fantastic metal bands in the states and in Europe but you won't find them on yer local radio station. Heavy Metal isn't dead just 'cause there isn't pop/hair-metal on the radio and Mtv.

Lethal

KingofFah

May 14, 2002
I have not heard of any of those bands, and, yes, I have stopped listening to the radio now. Are they new or old? Basically my fav bands would be Megadeth, Pantera (I like Pantera only slightly less than Megadeth, it is a tough choice.), Metallica (Only their old stuff), AC/DC, Static-X (they are pretty good for a new band), Alice in Chains. There are more; however, I am typing them as I think of them, and I cannot think of any more.

Edit: forgot Slayer

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Eli
Wow, this thread got interesting. :) Never realized there were so many metalheads here on ATOT.

I agree with rh71. All of you people think that Metallica makes music for you need to wake up. They are musicians. They are also people. Do you really expect people to stay the same? No, I didn't think so.

Metallica hasn't lost their edge. Metallica is still Metallica. Just because they've changed doesen't mean they have lost their edge.

I can't believe some of you think they lost it at Ride the Lightning. Geez! That was only their second album! It is a great album at that, but... to ignore Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All.. that's just kinda weird.

well, Kill Em All is all about Dave Mustaine anyway. Those are his solos you hear Kirk copying. I have a very early live recording of Metallica with Dave and then-new bassist Burton. It's in a small club, and it sounds almost exactly like Kill Em All. That shows two things; the effect that Dave had on the band, and just how freakin' good they were.
This is somewhat misleading. Those are NOT Dave's solos on Kill 'em All. Dave does NOT play lead anything like Kirk. Kirk joined the band 3 weeks before Kill 'em All was cut. He was told to start out each solo the same - the first few notes. From then on, it's all him though. But yes, I agree.. They were so good.. For a first album, Kill 'em All is amazing.

I'm a huge Metallica fan and gave Megadeth a try to no avail... it wasn't a competition thing... I was completely open-minded... but they just weren't up to par. I don't like Metallica's Load/Reload albums, but that doesn't mean they lost their edge. Ever realize they were simply trying something new? They let Hammett and Newsted write some of the songs for those albums for Christ's sake. And S&M... simply trying something new. What more did they have to prove in their old arena? Many interviews later, some of you still don't realize that. The word here is dynamic. Some hardcore fans didn't like the direction, but it brought them tons more fans... who can say... "yeah, I've heard of Metallica"... do you honestly think they needed more money?

Go to one of their concerts next year and tell me if they can't still play fast, hard, and heavy.

In interviews a few years ago they said they didn't want to make music like "Ride the Lightning" because it was technically too difficult. They got lazy and old. They lost their edge. Don't try to pull the Hemmett Newsted card because if you haven't kept up, Newsted is creating original creative music now. The rest of Metallica were the ones trying to keep Newsted from making good music outside of Metallica.
I fail to see how your last statement even matters in my argument. Nobody's talking about the guys keeping Newsted from making his own music... that's a well-known fact. But how does that matter here?

All I said was that Newsted and Hammett were allowed to contribute in Load/Reload and look where it landed the album. There was much hype in their upcoming release in '95, following a ridiculously well-selling Black Album, until the Load album ACTUALLY hit the shelves. Metallica didn't lose any velocity until that album. I won't even mention ReLoad. To each of us as fans, we have different tastes and some may think they stopped in their tracks after Burton's death, but how many fans came from the Justice days? And even more from TBA. Just because you lost interest in their sound doesn't mean they lost their edge. They still play most of the old stuff and about 4 or 5 post-'95 songs. When was the last time you went to their concert and didn't see them play Bellz or Fade. Hell, I saw them play Trapped Under Ice once. IF you stopped going to their concerts, well then that's your fault for not keeping up or even care to... in which case... you have no business arguing.

BTW, I applaud him standing up for himself and leaving the band to pursue his own creativity,... but I don't hear Echobrain doing all that well... do you ?

Well my point about Newsted was the fact that I don't think it was him or Hammett that made Load/reload the albums they were. How can you say they didn't lose their edge??? Listen to anything before the black album(which I dislike almost as much as load/reload) and then listen to Load/Reload. They are not the same band. Some of the solos are the same and the vocals are the same but that is it. I NEVER went to any of their concerts. I have no desire to pay $80 for decent tickets to see metallica. Especially when my friends who saw them in the 80's and seen them in the late 90's say the concerts are not nearly as good. Would I have paid $20 to see them in the 80's?? Heck yeah but I wasn't of age to make those decisions at that time.

Fans can like what they want but Metallica pre-Black album is not the same Metallica as post-Black album.

I actually don't go see many "mainstream" bands because I refuse to pay the price. I pretty much only go see local bands because money hasn't corrupted the scene.

That doesn't mean my opinion of the music is any less because I refuse to hand over my hard earned cash to hear subpar concerts.

Ok, this is rediculous, really. If you don't like it, don't listen to it. Why is it that so many people think bands are like their personal servants or something? You are wrong. They are the same band, just 20 years older. Do any other bands out there sound like Metallica? Does Metallica sound like any other band out there? I didn't think so.

You never went to any of their concerts? Why? So basically, you punished yourself for not liking their new music? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of. I paid 30$ to see Metallica on September 3rd, 1999, and it was the most incredible concert I've ever been to.

WTF are you talking about???????? I don't listen to Load/Reload because I DO THINK THEY SUCK. That is my opinion. Just like I feel that Backstreet boys suck. Who cares if there are other bands that sounds like Metallica or if Metallica sounds like other bands. What the hell does that have to do with anything? Metallica hasn't produced anything that I think is quality since before the Black album. Once again this is my opinion. IN MY OPINION I don't see how you can't see they lost their edge.

I was freakin 10-12 years old in the late 80's and my mom would have NEVER let me go to one of their concerts. I won't go now because I prefer quality seats at a concert and I will not pay the premium price. How is that punishing myself? I have been to TONS of concerts in my time and I don't think I am missing anything by not seeing Metallica. One of my good friends is the biggest Metallica fan I have ever met and he personally hasn't cared for the last three Metallica concerts he went to. Once again it is his opinion.

EDIT: As for being my servant.....who the hell pays their bills???? The f'ing fans. Without fans then the band will have a little trouble making a living.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

WTF are you talking about???????? I don't listen to Load/Reload because I DO THINK THEY SUCK. That is my opinion. Just like I feel that Backstreet boys suck. Who cares if there are other bands that sounds like Metallica or if Metallica sounds like other bands. What the hell does that have to do with anything? Metallica hasn't produced anything that I think is quality since before the Black album. Once again this is my opinion. IN MY OPINION I don't see how you can't see they lost their edge.

I was freakin 10-12 years old in the late 80's and my mom would have NEVER let me go to one of their concerts. I won't go now because I prefer quality seats at a concert and I will not pay the premium price. How is that punishing myself? I have been to TONS of concerts in my time and I don't think I am missing anything by not seeing Metallica. One of my good friends is the biggest Metallica fan I have ever met and he personally hasn't cared for the last three Metallica concerts he went to. Once again it is his opinion.

EDIT: As for being my servant.....who the hell pays their bills???? The f'ing fans. Without fans then the band will have a little trouble making a living.
You weren't so adamant about it being YOUR OPINION when you said they lost their edge before. You seem to believe this is fact and that everyone else needs to agree with you. Well, tell ya what. When you go see them play LIVE instead of hearing them on a tweaked album CD, then you can tell us how we should feel about their talent. There is a difference between a change in style and a loss in talent. It is not a cop-out. It was in their own interest that they did the Load-style and the S&M stuff. Yes they did say to Kirk and Jason... have at it... give us your ideas and we'll have a new album by Fall of '95.

Once again, they had nothing more to conquer and were exploring new avenues... those are my words. You will hear the same message if you followed them. If you still believe it's a cop-out for loss of talent, then you don't know what it's like to play instruments. Ever forget how to ride a bike or ice skate?

They are one of the best LIVE bands who've ever played on a stage. I'm not saying this as a dedicated fan... many before me have spoken those words. It is simply too bad you won't pay even $20 to hear & see their old stuff at the very least.

Sunner

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

You can't really compare Iron Maiden to Metallica though. I mean, the only thing they have in common is that they both play metal. :p

You have to think about it from a normal persons point of view. I mean... Do you really expect someones ideals not to change from 20 years old to 40? I mean... Think about it. They are musicians. They play music. That's what they do. They don't care what we think of them. They're doing it because they like to do it. Do you play an instrument? Probably not, or you would understand...

Shrug. Just because you don't like their new sh!t doesen't mean you're forced to hate their old sh!t.

I don't hate their old stuff at all, I still listen to it more or less daily, and S&M too for that matter, I love S&M but I dont count it as new stuff for obvious reasons.

Oh and yes, I play drums in a band with a couple of friends.

Aceshigh

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2002

Agree with everything Sunner said! 100 percent.

Eli

Oct 9, 1999
Whatever, let's all just stop arguing and download some Iced Earth.

Then we can all 'bang in happyness. :)

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Whatever, let's all just stop arguing and download some Iced Earth.

Then we can all 'bang in happyness. :)
What's Iced Earth's best song? I grabbed a few and it's decent stuff... except the vocals on some are pretty bad comparatively. ;) You would hear some good stuff then in comes this high pitched voice trying to sing to it. I know they've had a couple lead singers in the band... so... what's their best song ?

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002

You weren't so adamant about it being YOUR OPINION when you said they lost their edge before. You seem to believe this is fact and that everyone else needs to agree with you. Well, tell ya what. When you go see them play LIVE instead of hearing them on a tweaked album CD, then you can tell us how we should feel about their talent. There is a difference between a change in style and a loss in talent. It is not a cop-out. It was in their own interest that they did the Load-style and the S&M stuff. Yes they did say to Kirk and Jason... have at it... give us your ideas and we'll have a new album by Fall of '95.

Once again, they had nothing more to conquer and were exploring new avenues... those are my words. You will hear the same message if you followed them. If you still believe it's a cop-out for loss of talent, then you don't know what it's like to play instruments. Ever forget how to ride a bike or ice skate?

They are one of the best LIVE bands who've ever played on a stage. I'm not saying this as a dedicated fan... many before me have spoken those words. It is simply too bad you won't pay even $20 to hear & see their old stuff at the very least.

Are you having trouble reading????? I said they have lost their EDGE. They used to play really technically hard stuff. I understand not wanting to do that because it is physically draining. Totally understandable but you can't listen to their music now and their old stuff and say they haven't lost their edge.

They are EXTREMELY talented guys. Hell anyone that gets on stage has guts and respect for that. That doesn't mean you music is worth a crap to me.

I think they changed style because they lost their edge. They got old at the same time. That doesn't mean I don't think they are a very talented bunch of guys. They are and you can't argue that. I just don't think their new music is worth two sh*ts.

I will stick to listening to bands that I feel are relevent and on the edge. If I listen to Load/Reload I just want to fall asleep. It is boring and uninventive.

I have NEVER seen a $20 ticket for metallica in this area. At least with decent seats. My friend payed $80 for seats in the middle of an arena. I also didn't live in an area that was the best area for arena concerts. I am not going go to a show to be in the very back. Funk that.....

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Nice to see some more Iced Earth fiends out there. :D Any of you guys ever heard of Extol? Those guys rock pretty hard too.

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: BatmanNate
Nice to see some more Iced Earth fiends out there. :D Any of you guys ever heard of Extol? Those guys rock pretty hard too.

I was never a big fan of Iced Earth. I do however like old In Flames albums before they tried the NU-Metal scene with the last album.