Meg Whitman's former housekeeper hires Gloria Allred

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Whitman is a lair after living with the maid 9 years in her own house, she knew the maid can't go back to Mexico to visit family because border patrol will ask for papers. Social Security adm send letter first to employer unless the maid open the letter for Whitman and her husband. I was surprise to hear today Sean Hannibal the REAL American to defend Whitman after he 's being accusing Democrats of hiring illegals before. Shame of you

what the fuck are you talking about?

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_california_governor_debate

GOP's Whitman blames opponent for housekeeper flap

FRESNO, Calif. – GOP gubernatorial candidate Meg Whitman accused Democratic rival Jerry Brown on Saturday of orchestrating a scandal over her former illegal immigrant housekeeper, a charge that prompted Brown to fire back and say Whitman won't take accountability and is not fit to be governor.

"The real tragedy here is Nicky. After Nov. 2, no one's going to be watching out for Nicky Diaz," Whitman said, referring to the former housekeeper, and turning to face Brown directly shortly after the start of their second debate. "And Jerry, you know you should be ashamed, you and your surrogates ... put her deportation at risk. You put it out there and you should be ashamed for sacrificing Nicky Diaz on the altar of your political ambitions."

Brown responded by saying Whitman was trying to evade responsibility.

"Don't run for governor if you can't stand up on your own two feet and say, 'Hey I made a mistake,'" Brown said in a moment fraught with tension as the two candidates, neck-and-neck in the polls, turned away from the audience and faced each other directly. "You have blamed her, blamed me, blamed the left, blamed the unions. But you don't take accountability."

Whitman is trying to regain momentum with Latino voters after a tumultuous week. She was forced to explain how she had an illegal immigrant housekeeper — Nicky Diaz Santillan — on the payroll for nine years and, according to her, didn't know it.

She also is addressing allegations from the housekeeper's attorney that she and her husband should have suspected the worker's status because of a Social Security Administration letter mailed to their home in 2003.

The pressure Whitman has been under all week erupted as the candidates took their fourth question of the debate, which is being sponsored by Univision and was the first California gubernatorial debate to be broadcast in Spanish. The exchange came after the candidates faced questions about jobs, public education and the housing crisis.

"So, this is a very sad situation, and the Nicky that I saw on the press conference a few days ago was not the Nicky that I knew for nine years," Whitman said as she began to address the issue that has thrown her campaign off track. "And you what my first clue was? She kept referring to me as Ms. Whitman. And for the 10 years, nine years she worked for me, she called me Meg and I called her Nicky."

After their dramatic exchange, technical problems forced a delay, but they came back to the topic of illegal immigration when the debate resumed.

Getting control of the controversy and putting it behind her are crucial for Whitman, who has campaigned on a platform of holding employers accountable for hiring illegal workers.

"Ms. Whitman obviously didn't crack down on herself," Brown said. "This is a question of talking out of both sides of her mouth."

Whitman says that after she learned her maid was illegal, she did not turn her in to immigration authorities. But she rejected her maid's request to help her pursue citizenship, even though she has said the housekeeper was like a member of her extended family.

"You're going around this state saying employers must be accountable for hiring unlawful people, there ought to be raids on businesses, there's no path to citizenship," Brown said. "This a terrible thing we have — all these millions of (illegal) people, but you don't want a path to citizenship."

The billionaire candidate and former chief executive of eBay has worked hard to court independents and Latinos, who are crucial to the campaign of any Republican running in a state in which Democrats hold a 13.4 percentage point edge among registered voters.

She has trained a large share of her campaign account — $119 million of it from her personal fortune — on the Central Valley, which has been hit hard by the recession and is filled with communities where unemployment afflicts a quarter of the population or more.

The forced acknowledgment by Whitman and her husband this week that they fired Nicky Diaz Santillan when she confessed to being an illegal immigrant in June 2009 has thrown off Whitman's controlled campaign messages about reviving the economy, controlling state spending and reforming education.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I saw Meg Whitman in a video say early in this situation that she and her husband *did not get* the letter, period. Then it was produced with his writing to her on it.

Not an honest explanation, not even the weaselly standard disclaimer of 'do not remember', but simply they did not get it as a fact to shut down the issue. And false.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
character assassination for $1000 Alex!

The master of Character assasination!

BZZZ...

Who is Alan Grayson?

we have a winner!

that was fun!

Alan Grayson 1, Republican character assassins 10000. Pretty dishonest of you not to mention the other part.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I saw Meg Whitman in a video say early in this situation that she and her husband *did not get* the letter, period. Then it was produced with his writing to her on it.

Not an honest explanation, not even the weaselly standard disclaimer of 'do not remember', but simply they did not get it as a fact to shut down the issue. And false.
Not only that, they blamed the maid for "stealing" it if it was sent.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Not only that, they blamed the maid for "stealing" it if it was sent.

No. Here is what happened: The husband got it, and wrote a note to THE MAID on it asking her to take care of it and gave it to THE MAID. That's why the note exists at all, is because the MAID sat on it, OBVIOUSLY hiding her status from her employer.

This is a really pathetic political attack and the video I posted shows Allred has NO case whatsoever. She and the maid are merely tools for the Brown Campaign. It's all extremely pathetic.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
No. Here is what happened: The husband got it, and wrote a note to THE MAID on it asking her to take care of it and gave it to THE MAID. That's why the note exists at all, is because the MAID sat on it, OBVIOUSLY hiding her status from her employer.

This is a really pathetic political attack and the video I posted shows Allred has NO case whatsoever. She and the maid are merely tools for the Brown Campaign. It's all extremely pathetic.

Yeah seriously. Meg when she was saying "we" probably hadn't even really asked her husband and just assumed because she never saw it he must not have either. Regardless it doesn't matter. Her husband saw it NOT her so the whole thing is moot. As far as the evidence points they cannot prove Meg Whitman knowingly employed an illegal alien for 9+ years. That's all that matters if you're trying to spin it any other way you're just doing bitter smearing.

PS- I'm not a Whitman fan, but some of you guys have the weirdest perceptions about how someone will be as a politician who has never had a chance, while we know what Jerry Brown is capable of. Almost every attack I've seen on Whitman is retarded and has almost nothing to do with where she stands on issues(the ones I don't agree with).

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Right... but before the letter was shown to the public, Meg Whitman said that neither her nor her husband got a letter from the SSA. She then said that if they had been mailed one, they never saw it, and could only come up with the possibility that the maid must have taken/stolen it, possibly to hide her immigration status from them.

Ooops!

EDIT: As for the maid sitting on the letter, I thought the "corrections" were made and another letter was sent indication a non-match.

Last edited:

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Right... but before the letter was shown to the public, Meg Whitman said that neither her nor her husband got a letter from the SSA. She then said that if they had been mailed one, they never saw it, and could only come up with the possibility that the maid must have taken/stolen it, possibly to hide her immigration status from them.

Ooops!

EDIT: As for the maid sitting on the letter, I thought the "corrections" were made and another letter was sent indication a non-match.

The SS said they NEVER ISSUED ANOTHER LETTER. No further letter was ever sent to the Whitman household.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Ah ok. Shows how much I'm paying attention to this story.

:D
Watch the video on Fox News that Amused posted. I realize it's not a place you'd normally visit, but Greta basically destroys Gloria Allred and it'll catch you up on what happened.

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
Again Social Security Adm usually send letters to employers first when social security number doesn't match with name on records, Meg Whitman got the letter first before the MAID.

Siddhartha

Lifer
Oct 17, 1999
I do not live in Californa. But I would like to hear what CA residents think about Meg Whitman employing an illegal alien for years.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I do not live in Californa. But I would like to hear what CA residents think about Meg Whitman employing an illegal alien for years.

Because it was unknowingly and she fired her when she found out, I don't really care.

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001
Alan Grayson 1, Republican character assassins 10000. Pretty dishonest of you not to mention the other part.

lol dishonest... you need to find a mirror have you looked at all the dems political ads many of them are trying to run as moderates and fiscal conservatives don't mention the word democrats and many trash openly Pelosi Reid and Obama.

If the Dems ran on their voting record it be a bloodbath. Look we screwed America even More vote for us! Please take your kool aid elsewhere.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
why anyone would vote for someone responsible for ebay and it's retarded policies is beyond me

EXman

Lifer
Jul 12, 2001

Not an honest explanation, not even the CLINTONIAN standard disclaimer of 'do not remember', but simply they did not get it as a fact to shut down the issue. And false.

It was his writing to the maid I thought. Regardless if it was a note to Mrs Whitman "take care of this" and the Maid somehow has it. Then the Maid stole it and Mrs Whitman didn't see it. These letters get sent out many times YEARS after the person was first employed and then the second letter takes years after that. It is foolish how the government runs its business.

Have you ever held a letter like that in your hand? I have several in fact, and it states right on it "YOU CANNOT TERMINATE EMPLOYEE DUE TO THIS LETTER" no ambiguity about it. Even if Mrs. Whitman wanted to she could not fire her due to having a error of some sort with the SS#.

btw an illegal Alien sueing someone in our courts because they lied to them for years is laughable.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
why anyone would vote for someone responsible for ebay and it's retarded policies is beyond me

She had a mixed record at ebay; first she led it to great growth, and then she had some bad moves, like saying her move to China would be bigger than the US, then closing it something like a year later. She has some CEO abilities. A bigger question is how that translates as a governor.

Some people love to put 'authority figures' into political office - generals, CEO's.

I don't think our better leaders have those backgrounds generally, but it's case by case.

Someone asked, what business leaders have been very good politicians, except Michael Bloomberg?

George W. Bush ran as the 'CEO President', 'the first MBA president', his business skills would make our economy great unlike those liberals. Works on ignorant voters.

Whitman has suggested - not in her ads of course but quietly - a 'tax cut for the rich' targetted at the top. That's the more important issue, whose interests she is for.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
What is laughable in my mind is Whitman trying to blame Brown. Jerry Brown may have been handed a huge campaign issue, but I don't think Jerry Brown ever went to Meg Whitman and said why don't you hire this maid ten years ago.

No Meg Whitman got into this mess all by herself, and she has blown it every step of the way.

This Hispanic community in California, almost all of which are full US citizens are still steamed at Pete Wilson, and now Meg Whitman just lost a very large voting block.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
It was his writing to the maid I thought. Regardless if it was a note to Mrs Whitman "take care of this" and the Maid somehow has it. Then the Maid stole it and Mrs Whitman didn't see it. These letters get sent out many times YEARS after the person was first employed and then the second letter takes years after that. It is foolish how the government runs its business.

Have you ever held a letter like that in your hand? I have several in fact, and it states right on it "YOU CANNOT TERMINATE EMPLOYEE DUE TO THIS LETTER" no ambiguity about it. Even if Mrs. Whitman wanted to she could not fire her due to having a error of some sort with the SS#.

btw an illegal Alien sueing someone in our courts because they lied to them for years is laughable.

It might have been to the maid - either way, he saw it, and she said he had not.

And illegal aliens have rights. What if he raped her? You can't use our courts ha ha?

Your other points are to issues not in my post.

This came up, and she had a press conference to get rid of the issue by saying clearly they had not seen the letter, when he had.