Meg Whitman, Calling Donald Trump a ‘Demagogue,’ Will Support Hillary Clinton for Pre

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Meg Whitman, a Hewlett Packard executive and Republican fund-raiser, said Tuesday that she would support Hillary Clinton for president and give a “substantial” contribution to her campaign in order to stop Donald J. Trump, whom she berated as a threat to American democracy.

“I will vote for Hillary, I will talk to my Republican friends about helping her, and I will donate to her campaign and try to raise money for her,” Ms. Whitman said in a telephone interview.

She revealed that Mrs. Clinton, the Democratic nominee, had reached out to her in a phone call about a month ago, one of the first indications that Mrs. Clinton is aggressively courting Republican leaders. While acknowledging she diverged from Mrs. Clinton on many policy issues, Ms. Whitman said it was time for Republicans “to put country first before party.”

Using remarkably blunt language, she argued that the election of Mr. Trump, whom she called “a dishonest demagogue,” could lead the country “on a very dangerous journey.” She noted that democracies had seldom lasted longer than a few hundred years and warned that those who say that “it can’t happen here” are being naïve.

Ms. Whitman also said she “absolutely” stood by her comments at a private gathering of Republican donors this year comparing Mr. Trump to Hitler and Mussolini, explaining that dictators often come to office through democratic means.

“Time and again history has shown that when demagogues have gotten power or come close to getting power, it usually does not end well,” Ms. Whitman said. She asserted that Mr. Trump had already “undermined the character of the nation.”

A billionaire who spent $140 million of her own money in a failed bid for governor of California in 2010, Ms. Whitman, the former chief executive of eBay, is a prized defector for Mrs. Clinton. She is close to Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican nominee; has deep ties to the country’s business elite; and is a rare female Republican executive in Silicon Valley.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/08/0...top-news&referer=http://www.nytimes.com/&_r=1

chucky2

Lifer
Dec 9, 1999
Wow, the Establishment that controls both parties really is scared of not having two candidates that are not a lock for being under their control. I wonder if the Dems who denigrate those evil rich Republicans are going to demand Team Billary not accept these evil rich Republicans money? Duhflection in 3, 2, (that's your queue Dem hacks)... :D

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Kind of expected her to sit on the sidelines this election but I guess the last week of Trump's displays has been pushing some people over the border.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Kind of expected her to sit on the sidelines this election but I guess the last week of Trump's displays has been pushing some people over the border.

Not surprised.

Last edited:

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
If I was an exec I would vote for Hillary too...wouldn't want a president who threatened to cut off cheap labor. A vote for Hillary is a vote for continued outsourcing.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
If I was an exec I would vote for Hillary too...wouldn't want a president who threatened to cut off cheap labor. A vote for Hillary is a vote for continued outsourcing.

Ihre spitzen Unkenntnis des Gesamtbildes ist fast so schlimm wie Ihre Unkenntnis der Politik des Spiels, die Sie für Ihr Bild zu zeichnen, wenn Sie ein sehr fanatisch Kunde eines deutschen Friseurladen in England sind.