Meet the New Serfs: You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
The New Haven SWAT team must have been pretty amped up: It was midnight, and they were getting ready to bust down the door of a man wanted on charges involving weapons violations, robbery — and murder. They were not sure how many people were in the house, or how they’d react. After a volley of flash grenades that set fire to the carpet and a sofa, they moved in, guns drawn. A minute later, they had their man zip-tied on the floor.

If only they’d double-checked the address first.

Bobby Griffin Jr. was wanted on murder charges. His next-door neighbor on Peck Street, Joseph Adams, wasn’t. But that didn’t stop the SWAT team from knocking down his door, setting his home on fire, roughing him up, keeping him tied up in his underwear for nearly three hours, and treating the New Haven man, who is gay, to a nance show as officers taunted him with flamboyantly effeminate mannerisms. If the events detailed in Mr. Adams’s recently filed lawsuit are even remotely accurate, the episode was a moral violation and, arguably, a crime.

And when Mr. Adams showed up at the New Haven police department the next day to fill out paperwork requesting that the authorities reimburse him for the wanton destruction of his property — never mind the gross violation of his rights — the story turned Kafkaesque, as interactions with American government agencies at all levels tend to do. The police — who that same night had managed to take in the murder suspect next door without the use of flash grenades or other theatrics after his mother suggested that they were probably there for her son — denied having any record of the incident at Mr. Adams’s home ever having happened.

This sort of thing happens with disturbing regularity. The New York Police Department killed an older woman in Harlem when they mistakenly raided her home in 2003. In that case, too, “flash-bang” grenades were deployed, and the concussions sent 57-year-old Alberta Spruiell into cardiac arrest, killing her. The NYPD was acting on information given to them by a local lowlife drug dealer they were leaning on. It was the first information he’d given them as an informant, and based on nothing more than that they went in hard — no-knock raid, grenades, the whole circus. As it turns out, New York dope-slingers turned rat are not entirely trustworthy.

In Miami’s Coconut Grove, police struck a child in the head with their rifle butts after a no-knock SWAT raid. The address of the home was not the address on the warrant — that was two blocks away – but police insist they were in the right, warrant be damned. “They broke every single flat-screen TV, they broke the PlayStation 4, they broke every single picture frame, for whatever reason. Every single thing they could possibly break, they broke,” the homeowner said. The police insisted that they had meant to hit that house, in which there was no one other than the children, and that they had seized “narcotics” — a trivial amount of marijuana — and “weapons” — a handgun, which is perfectly legal to own in Florida.

The stories get grisly: In Habersham County, Ga., police looking for a drug dealer — at a home in which he did not reside — broke down the doors thinking they’d find drugs and guns, which of course they didn’t. But they did manage to toss a flash grenade into a baby’s playpen, burning part of the child’s face off. The family was left with nearly $1 million in medical bills, and the kid will need surgery every few years until he stops growing. The police insist they did nothing wrong. And as in New Haven, when they found the drug dealer for whom they were searching, the Georgia authorities brought him in without incident, without kicking down any doors or throwing any stun grenades.

The disfigurement of a child is horrific to contemplate. (“If you’ve never wept and want to, have a child,” David Foster Wallace wrote in “Incarnations of Burned Children.”) But the image that really hooks me is that of Joseph Adams schlepping up to the New Haven police department to endure some bureaucracy and to fill out some paperwork — because no matter how badly government screws up, fixing what’s gone wrong is always your problem. I can picture his situation precisely — every police department, driver’s-license office, tax bureau, and city licensing agency exhibits the same distinctive blind of slowly simmering hostility, smugness, contempt, and complete immunity from accountability. We are ruled by criminals, and their alibi is: “There’s no record of that in the system.” That, or: “The computer won’t let me do that.”

You should read the rest here:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/390971/meet-new-serfs-you-kevin-d-williamson/page/0/1

I got the same feeling when the FBI or whatever agency it was complained about not having a golden key to access the new iPhone encryption. We'd like our private communications to remain private, and we're called pedophiles. Events like that almost make you want to become a criminal just for an ironic sense of justice.

Dec 10, 2005
These are isolated incidents that happen nearly every day.
Yep. As crappy as it is in cases like the other thread about the Aurora shooter trial still waiting, precedents set in the cases against scum open the door to using those tactics against others. Its time to roll back these extreme measures and knock down some of the 'soft on crime' nonsense that's bound to pop up in such a reworking of the system.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Good to see a right wing publication get off the law and order high horse and take a long hard look at the police state it dragged us into.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Good to see a right wing publication get off the law and order high horse and take a long hard look at the police state it dragged us into.

LOL, oh yeah, it was all those evil right wingers.

You're a parody of a parody.

Feb 6, 2007
LOL, oh yeah, it was all those evil right wingers.

You're a parody of a parody.

Taking a tough stance on crime has been a Republican party platform for decades. We get treated to a lot of rhetoric about how great it is that Texas uses the death penalty frequently, or how we should shoot illegal immigrants at the border, or we get jokes about Democrats being soft on crime so as not to offend their minority base, but if you dare suggest that authoritarian police forces might be the result of Republican policies, that's over the line? Come on now. I guarantee you, if those hippie liberals had their way, we wouldn't see police raids for minor offenses. We'd probably have much higher crime levels because the hippies would just disband all the police forces and tell people to be groovy, but we wouldn't have so much abuse of authority.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Because New York City is such a Republican enclave, right? Those damn New York Republicans and their out of control police.

:rolleyes:

Democrats are not hippies. The ones that were have become The Man. Or did you not notice?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Taking a tough stance on crime has been a Republican party platform for decades. We get treated to a lot of rhetoric about how great it is that Texas uses the death penalty frequently, or how we should shoot illegal immigrants at the border, or we get jokes about Democrats being soft on crime so as not to offend their minority base, but if you dare suggest that authoritarian police forces might be the result of Republican policies, that's over the line? Come on now. I guarantee you, if those hippie liberals had their way, we wouldn't see police raids for minor offenses. We'd probably have much higher crime levels because the hippies would just disband all the police forces and tell people to be groovy, but we wouldn't have so much abuse of authority.
Hippie liberals, sure, but the most powerful force on the left today is the progressive wing. Progressives are all about imposing government power - even over what one has for lunch - which is why leftist places like NYC tend to be egregious offenders. It's unfortunately one area (of many, frankly) where the core left and core right are in agreement.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

I don't know any republicans that celebrate "how great the death penalty is." Most of us just consider it an appropriate punishment for some offenders.

I also don't agree that republicans being tough on criminals translates into policemen being assholes.

Third, the point of the article was not about police brutality alone, but the larger issue of our authorities considering themselves exempt from accountability.

Feb 6, 2007
Because New York City is such a Republican enclave, right? Those damn New York Republicans and their out of control police.

:rolleyes:

Democrats are not hippies. The ones that were have become The Man. Or did you not notice?

Who is responsible for the police? The commissioner. Who appoints the commissioner? The mayor. Who has been mayor of NYC for the last twenty years? Ignoring the tenure of Bill DeBlasio who's been in office less than a year, it was Michael Bloomberg and Rudy Giuliani, two Republicans. It's more than a touch disingenuous to act as though the NYC police department is a bastion of Democratic ideas when it's been headed by someone appointed by a Republican mayor for the last two decades.

Also, I think you might be confusing what I wrote as an attack on conservatives or conservative policies, so let me clarify; I think that this is a Republican problem, not a conservative one. Libertarian ideologies aren't invested in a strong executive power with an authoritarian police force to keep order, but Republicans certainly have been. Democrats do a bunch of stupid shit too; I can disagree with Democrat positions and still believe in liberal principles. So I'm not attacking conservative ideology, I'm attacking the party that has touted conservative ideology while simultaneously flouting small government ideals when it suits them.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Who is responsible for the police? The commissioner. Who appoints the commissioner? The mayor. Who has been mayor of NYC for the last twenty years? Ignoring the tenure of Bill DeBlasio who's been in office less than a year, it was Michael Bloomberg and Rudy Giuliani, two Republicans. It's more than a touch disingenuous to act as though the NYC police department is a bastion of Democratic ideas when it's been headed by someone appointed by a Republican mayor for the last two decades.

Also, I think you might be confusing what I wrote as an attack on conservatives or conservative policies, so let me clarify; I think that this is a Republican problem, not a conservative one. Libertarian ideologies aren't invested in a strong executive power with an authoritarian police force to keep order, but Republicans certainly have been. Democrats do a bunch of stupid shit too; I can disagree with Democrat positions and still believe in liberal principles. So I'm not attacking conservative ideology, I'm attacking the party that has touted conservative ideology while simultaneously flouting small government ideals when it suits them.

Bloomberg was a democrat before running as a republican. Then he switched to independent in 2008. In other words Bloomberg will do whatever it takes to gain office.

I tend to agree with you about republicans. But feel democrats shouldnt get a pass when they also implement their version of the police state.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Bloomberg was a democrat before running as a republican. Then he switched to independent in 2008. In other words Bloomberg will do whatever it takes to gain office.

I tend to agree with you about republicans. But feel democrats shouldnt get a pass when they also implement their version of the police state.

Excactly.

Democrats care so much about you, they're going to send in the SWAT team to make sure you aren't harming yourself.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
As usual the left will blame Republicans, Koch Brothers, Libertarians, anything to avoid responsibility of screwing up their own districts even when they have a supermajority.

Feb 6, 2007

Democrats care so much about you, they're going to send in the SWAT team to make sure you aren't harming yourself.

Democrats can be even worse because they will (occasionally) run on the idea of "the war on drugs isn't working" and then, when elected, step up enforcement of the drug laws they are purportedly against. At least Republicans are honest about wanting to lock up the lawbreakers (regardless of the validity of the law).

Status
Not open for further replies.