Meet The 20-Somethings Who Want To Be Sterilized

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Yes. Like we already do with age limits

So suggest an age limit.

IMO it seems a bit odd to have an age of consent as a different age to the age of consent to get ones self sterilized.

I wonder whether some guards against stupidity might be a good idea, such as a non-optional tutorial session with Q&A for what the procedure does and doesn't do, such as IT DOESN'T STOP STDs! (of course that's not age specific but anyway)

Last edited:

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
largely a liberal thing. That and the desire to flush their kids down the toilet under the guise of abortion.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009
One of the biggest problems with our economy (ask Japan, they know from experience) is a sudden downshot in people having children. This can be absolutely detrimental on our overall economic help to the point of another depression collapse.

I know some people are too stupid too realize these things, but yes, it is true. Once again, just look at what Japan is going through. It can be a complete killer on your economy when all of sudden you have 1/3 as many people buying baby/kids items. Sadly, we need those stupid people for economy to keep going.

I understand the notion. I also understand the notion for being more lenient on the man vs. the woman. We can freeze the mans semen and were good to go for backup. Those eggs are those eggs. Once you tie the tubes they are gone. No more babies there.

That's because the Japanese government is so heavily in debt. They have so far been able sustain their debt levels by some measure via tapping into the massive reserves of savings past generations of Japanese people built up. In fact this is why the so called lost "Decade" was not even an issue for the average Japanese person when it came to their standard of living. In fact the average Japanese person experienced stable prices, better returns on their savings and unemployment never went above 5%.

However with the plunge in birth rates that national savings pool (along with their tax base to fund their government's spending) is not being replaced at a fast enough rate by new working aged adults compared to the rise in Japan's national debt.

This is why they desperately need a steady rising population to keep the debt bubble they have built up from imploding and this is why Japan is fucked unless population birth rates change dramatically in the future so that more working age adults are being put into the work force and tax revenue and savings pools are replenished.

When you've built an economy that has allowed the propagation of debt to run away along side massive government spending which has become so pervasive and intrinsic (rather than savings and balanced budgets) to propping up the economy you end up digging a hole for yourself in terms of the need for an ever constant expansion of consumption of goods and resources, tax revenue generation and increasing population growth that goes with it in order to maintain it all.

Last edited:

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
To borrow your phrasing... some people are too stupid to realize that the economic mythology of perpetual growth is both ignorant (because it is impossible on a planet with finite resources) and stupid to pursue (because it leads to the destruction of he life support system of the animal life that purports to control and benefit from [on the short term] said economic growth).

it takes a special kind of education to produce people stupid and selfish enough to value economic growth over the prospects of a sustained human-compatible habitability of the Earth biosphere.

I was going to post something like: having babies for the economy!, but you painted a much better picture. +1

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Why doctors would ask personal questions, beyond explaining the procedure and potential side-effects (both mental and physical), is beyond me.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
And the fact that folks are having a discussion this also creeps me out. I have not heard of women (or men for that matter) discussing men in 20's having vasectomy.

Smoblikat

Diamond Member
Nov 19, 2011
I have been thinking about getting a vasectomy too, the only thing stopping me is the possibility of the world ending as we know it, I want to be able to rebuild civilization.

Apple Of Sodom

Golden Member
Oct 7, 2007
Nobody said they were prohibited from doing it. It isn't illegal. The doctor also has free will and is declining to do it. What I find funny is that you are up in arms about this woman who should get what she wants, and you are willing to force a doctor to do something he doesn't want to do to accomplish it.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Nobody said they were prohibited from doing it. It isn't illegal. The doctor also has free will and is declining to do it. What I find funny is that you are up in arms about this woman who should get what she wants, and you are willing to force a doctor to do something he doesn't want to do to accomplish it.

Exactly. And if the procedure was so important to her why did she not look on the web for some doctors in her state who would do the procedure.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Gonna be fun when the demographic bomb hits. Get your government benefits while you can.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
That's because the Japanese government is so heavily in debt. They have so far been able sustain their debt levels by some measure via tapping into the massive reserves of savings past generations of Japanese people built up. In fact this is why the so called lost "Decade" was not even an issue for the average Japanese person when it came to their standard of living. In fact the average Japanese person experienced stable prices, better returns on their savings and unemployment never went above 5%.

However with the plunge in birth rates that national savings pool (along with their tax base to fund their government's spending) is not being replaced at a fast enough rate by new working aged adults compared to the rise in Japan's national debt.

This is why they desperately need a steady rising population to keep the debt bubble they have built up from imploding and this is why Japan is fucked unless population birth rates change dramatically in the future so that more working age adults are being put into the work force and tax revenue and savings pools are replenished.

When you've built an economy that has allowed the propagation of debt to run away along side massive government spending which has become so pervasive and intrinsic (rather than savings and balanced budgets) to propping up the economy you end up digging a hole for yourself in terms of the need for an ever constant expansion of consumption of goods and resources, tax revenue generation and increasing population growth that goes with it in order to maintain it all.

Religion. That'll do the trick.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
And the fact that folks are having a discussion this also creeps me out. I have not heard of women (or men for that matter) discussing men in 20's having vasectomy.

Because men are disposable products.

If a woman wants to get knocked up, chances are dozens of men will line up to have sex with her.

If a man wants a woman to have his baby, he is fighting an uphill battle. Its not like women are just lining up to get knocked up.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Why doctors would ask personal questions, beyond explaining the procedure and potential side-effects (both mental and physical), is beyond me.

Simple. Sterilization isn't a solely medical decision. If it was, it would indeed be as simple as the dr explaining the procedure and side effects, but there are other considerations that come into play. Vasectomies are generally much more easily reversed than tubal ligations, to it makes complete sense that a doctor would strongly recommend against it at an early age for women.

Ultimately though, people should be free to make their own decisions no matter how dumb. If a 24 year old wants to do it, let them, but make sure they can't come back later and sue because nobody counseled them against it. It's like a horrible tattoo covering their whole face -- you're making a decision that will permanently affect you, and people should tell you not to, but if you really want to, it's your decision.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

:thumbsup: Good point.

Also, notice how in the stories there is mention that the women seeking the procedure have 'issues' like depression etc, if I was a doctor there's no way I'd do that procedure for someone like that at a young age who might be making bad decisions as a result of depression or other problems.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
:thumbsup: Good point.

Also, notice how in the stories there is mention that the women seeking the procedure have 'issues' like depression etc, if I was a doctor there's no way I'd do that procedure for someone like that at a young age who might be making bad decisions as a result of depression or other problems.

Agreed, the woman is much better off getting abortions rather than getting sterilized.

StarTech15

Oct 21, 2014
Why not let them get sterilized? Overpopulation is a real problem. And this must be a fringe group that's asking for it, so it's not a threat to society in a broader sense. They can adopt if they change their minds.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Because men are disposable products.

If a woman wants to get knocked up, chances are dozens of men will line up to have sex with her.

If a man wants a woman to have his baby, he is fighting an uphill battle. Its not like women are just lining up to get knocked up.

From the textbook for my Western Civilization class right now.

This was the amount paid by a wrongdoer to the family of the person who had been injured or killed. Wergeld, which means “money for a man,” was the value of a person in monetary terms. That value varied considerably according to social status. The law of the Salic Franks, which was first written down under Roman influence at the beginning of the sixth century, stated: “If any one shall have killed a free Frank, or a barbarian living under the Salic law, and it have been proved on him, he shall be sentenced to 8,000 denars…. But if any one has slain a man who is in the service of the king, he shall be sentenced to 24,000 denars.” An offense against a noble obviously cost considerably more than one against a free person or a slave.

For the Franks, like other Germanic peoples of the Early Middle Ages, the extended family was at the center of social organization. The Frankish family structure was quite simple. Males were dominant and made all the important decisions. A woman obeyed her father until she married and then fell under the legal domination of her husband. A widow, however, could hold property without a male guardian. In Frankish law, the wergeld of a wife of childbearing age—of value because she could produce children—was considerably higher than that of a man. The Salic law stated: “If any one killed a free woman after she had begun bearing children, he shall be sentenced to 24,000 denars…. After she can have no more children, he who kills her shall be sentenced to 8,000 denars.”

http://books.google.com/books?id=nM...e&q=western civilization frankish law&f=false

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I have been thinking about getting a vasectomy too, the only thing stopping me is the possibility of the world ending as we know it, I want to be able to rebuild civilization.

I got one, and I'm barely out of my 20s, no kids. That was after spending years with that worry of getting someone pregnant weighing in the back of my mind every week. Eventually I became sure enough that I didn't want kids that the worry of accidental pregnancy outweighed the worry of accidental childlessness. So I froze a bunch of my boys and got it done. I do wish vasalgel\risug had been available instead for easy reversibility, but I wasn't willing to wait on that pipe dream.

It's been a while for me now, and I've only had to tell 2 women about it. Most women seem totally unconcerned with the possibility of getting pregnant.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Simple. Sterilization isn't a solely medical decision. If it was, it would indeed be as simple as the dr explaining the procedure and side effects, but there are other considerations that come into play. Vasectomies are generally much more easily reversed than tubal ligations, to it makes complete sense that a doctor would strongly recommend against it at an early age for women.
I do not think it is simple as you have suggested nor do I think I have posited my question correctly. I am not questioning that sterilization is a serious personal decision, just as abortion is. I just do not think it is the doctor's position to inquire into the motives and personal backgrounds of patients.

Then again, I totally misread the original article. The article says doctors are simply refusing the procedure and advise patients to seek counselling, not themselves engaged in counselling. I think that is a balanced approach.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
It's been a while for me now, and I've only had to tell 2 women about it. Most women seem totally unconcerned with the possibility of getting pregnant.

Why did the women question you?
You still use a condom right? Especially since you have sex with both men and women, it's probably best to always wear a condom.
You can catch something from the other person too eh