Meet Mask, posssibly the most sophisticated malware campaign ever seen

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'd like to know how it exploits Linux. I'm not sure how it could get installed without the user allowing it, and that should really stand out as something unusual if the attempt was made.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Beat me to it. As scary as it is, I'm excited to see multi-platform attacks like this. I'd always figured they were possible to someone (or some group) with enough resources! Engadget has an article as well:

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/11/the-mask-careto-malware/

"Sophisticated malware finally discovered after 7 years, likely created by a nation-state" :D

ForumMaster

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
I have read Kaspersky's analysis and I still don't understand what makes this specific malware so much worse then the others. So it used a combination of rootkit,bootkit and platform specific viruses to spread.
Nice, it seems like it was mostly based on known vulnerabilities. Meaning that if the IT personal had kept the software up to date, it wouldn't have spread as far.

As far I manage to understand, they didn't exploit zero-day vulnerabilities. They tries to use a vulnerability in Kaspersky's software that was patched in '08.

I'm not saying I can write code to this level (I can't), but why is this virus so much worse then the others that have been revealed?