Medicine is leading to our downfall as a species

cruiser1338

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
I was just skimming through a documentary about Darwin, and while I knew all the stuff before, I popped an LSD tab and had this thought:

Darwin says that defects in genetics and mutations will lead to the death of that animal, preventing it from passing that defect on.
Now, with modern medicine and cures for all types of diseases that would otherwise kill the animal, we ensure those defective genes are passed on.

Is it right to cure people? Christians should be saying no, because we shouldn't interfere with god's plan, atheists should say yes because we may only have this life.

I'm not saying to let everyone die from treatable diseases, I just wanted to see what other people think. Hopefully in the not too distant future we will be able to use gene therapy for cures, so we won't have this worry.

cruiser1338

Golden Member
Jan 22, 2005
For those who didn't get the LSD reference, I didn't really pop a tab of LSD, LSD is considered mindexpanding, and since I knew Darwin before the documentary, and then had the thought after learning nothing from said documentary...

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Those medicenes have enabled people to live longer which is helping research into gene therapy. In the end it all works :)

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
There's something wrong with your application of Darwin's idea. In fact, what's going on now with medicine is exactly in line with the idea of survival of the fittest.

Think about it, Darwin says that defects in genetics lead to the death of an animal, preventing it from passing the defect on. Good stuff, but what exactly defines a defect? In past years, being vulnerable to a variety of bugs was a defect, as it would lead to your death. Now, with modern medicine, that sort of thing is no longer a critical defect. You can be just as genetically helpful to the species whether or not you have good genes when it comes to getting sick. This is true of many areas. Back when we hunted with bows and sticks, being strong and fast was a good trait. Now, however, with our science and engineering based society, being strong and fast is taking a back seat to being smart.

The beauty of the Darwin idea is that it perpetuates exactly the traits helpful to the survival and advancement of a species. We can't interfere with this, because our actions actually change what's "helpful". Medicine has made good health less important a trait, because good health is only valuable to the extent it helps our survival. If we no longer have as much need of that trait, others will take its place. There is nothing better about certain traits than others, the system is truly Drawinist when it works within the framework of our species, not based on some ideal template.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Well then murder should be legal and raping and pilaging too. Damn progessives. Protecting the weak has not been good to us Vikings. Most of those countries now have 70% real taxes to protect thier weaker members. They don't even breed anymore and are dying off. Literally castrated by the state.

I bet you always wondered why the Scotts wore skirts huh? Didnt want to miss out on the Viking raiding parties.

zephyrprime

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Someday we will NEED genetic engineering simply to get rid of all the genetic defects we're allowing into the genome nowadays. Frotunately, these sorts of things happen over a long time span so it's not something I have to worry about.

ubercaffeinated

Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2002
Originally posted by: cruiser1338

Darwin says that defects in genetics and mutations will lead to the death of that animal, preventing it from passing that defect on.

Though you glibly paraphrase the bulk of his work in this statement, his theory worked two ways. The same defects in genetics and mutation that could have lead to the death of that animal, could save the animal with a proper shift in environmental conditions - such a condition would of course eradicate all of the "normal" animals. The species as a whole wouldd still be saved.

As far as medicine goes, I do not believe we are doing enough in terms of gene therapy to save people that can be saved.

Heh, of course if ultimately you are calling stupidity a defect in genetics, I really can't help you there :p

lowfatbaconboy

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2000
I would have to say that medicines and welfare (etc.) are probably keeping some people alive that would have otherwise died and left the gene pool. Though I'm sure medicine has kept some people alive that aren't necessarily a detriment to the gene pool because in this day and age we don't have to have great strength and muscle coordination to be productive members of society. Im sure there are other issues surrounding this topic but I don't have the time to try and cover them.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Genetic defects? Like sickle cell? Which helps prevent malaria?
So do we kill people who have sickle cell or kill everyone else?
Which ones the defect?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I was taking some LSD too and realized this is just what we should apply to the various races. I mean, if you're not Aryan, you're not fit.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Without modern medicine someone like Stephen Hawking would have been unable to contribute to society.
Since we are herd animals our strength lies in the societal aspects of evolution of broad diversity, our species seems to advance as our collective brainpower grows.