Media Player Classic - Seeking, Fast-Forward, etc.

krackato

Golden Member
Aug 10, 2000
I've been using Media Player Classic and Viplay for a long time. I'm always surprised that Viplay didn't catch on more, but I like them both. With Viplay I can quickly seek, fast-forward (scrub?) through a video file by simply pressing the right arrow or go backwards quickly using the left arrow. Viplay is exactly like Winamp except for video. Maybe because Winamp can be used for video is why Viplay didn't catch on.

I also like Media Player Classic. Why do I use both? Dude, who doesn't have 2 or 3 (or 6) redundant media players. I think I must have 20 pieces of software that play mp3s.

Anyway, the one thing I cannot figure out with Media Player Classic is how to seek back and forth quickly. Winamp allows this. Viplay allows this. But MPC doesn't seem to be able to do this. Is there an option I'm overlooking? Is there a build I could download for this? A plug-in perhaps? Other than this, I think MPC is awesome, extremely stable, and extremely versatile. Viplay has some nice features but the version I'm using (2.09) really needs an upgrade, but version 3.0 imo kinda sucked and I doubt they'll be upgrading it in the future since the market is so crowded.

Thanks
<----------

imported_wired247

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2008
Have you checked out MPUI? (mplayer user interface)

mplayer is a really nice media player, it basically includes all codecs in the software so you never really have a problem with codecs, although you can get more if you absolutely need them.

It has a lot of nice functions especially the seeking behavior you like.

It's also very lite. One of my favorites, although the one thing that is marginal about it is somewhat crappy handling of h.264 subtitles

krackato

Golden Member
Aug 10, 2000
Thanks guys. I was able to change some of the settings under Options>Keys>Jump Forward (large). I set that to 'None' for the modifier and VK_Right (and VK_Left) for the key. Works great now.

I'll check out MPUI. I like the idea of having a program with integrated codecs. Sounds cool.

imported_wired247

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2008
mplayer is quite useful for changing brightness, saturation/hue, contrast, etc on the fly. Some videos are quite dark, I use the brightness adjustment a lot. And some DVR'd TV shows have poor color... changing the hue can make people look a little less pink in the face or whatnot.

imported_wired247

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2008
OK spinoff of the OP:

I just tried out MPC for playing h.264 files, and it seems to play VERY un-smooth. The playback seems to slow down and catch up about once every 2 seconds. This computer is brand new, and I'm barely breaching 10-15% CPU so what's the deal with this??

From CCCP I tried zoom player and it seems to scale h.264 VERY poorly. Everything looks pixelated at full screen (not the case with MPC and MPUI)

mplayer (MPUI) plays the smoothest and scales just fine. However, the subtitles play very poorly

LOL is there a good solution to play back h.264 files?? because I haven't found it yet.

Just tried VLC... seems to work OK except not as good as mplayer, and has the same issues displaying subtitles in h.264.

anyone out there..... please recommend a good h.264 player?

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
8800GT is one with VP2, no? So, with MPC-HC, DxVA of AVC is possible with minimal CPU useage unless perhaps you've got a driver problem. Try toggling it off to see what effect it has and/or alternatively try CyberLink's decoder as it is well proven whereas ffmpeg with DxVA just became available. Also, I presume you are testing with a commercial source? There is no point doing so with novice reencodes which fail compliance.

imported_wired247

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2008
I'm talking about amateur encodes (fansubbed anime)

And I do not know what VP2, -HC, DxVA, or AVC are.

MPC is not really HARD-stuttering. It is just not playing smoothly. The difference is night and day with just about every other player I've tried.

mplayer like I said works great. It's just a problem with the way it displays subtitles. So basically I'm looking for another media player that can handle h.264 video with buttery smooth playback, good scaling on fullscreen mode, and proper display of subtitles.

And to summarize:

mplayer / VLC - smooth, but improper display of subtitles.

compared to mplayer, VLC feels less polished and a little buggy. strange sounding hiccups on pause/resume

MPC - proper display of subtitles, horribly unsmooth playback using CCCP
zoom player - smooth, proper display of subtitles, terrible upscaling on fullscreen mode

this is like a cruel game of rock paper scissors.

I'm going to try WMP11 with k-lite codec pack next. However, I don't know if there is a way to use arrow keys to jump forward/back a few seconds at a time in WMP11. That is basically how I navigate, so any player that can't do this is unacceptable as well.