Media player and large files no rewind of fast forward

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I have noticed that large video files in Windows media player and other players don't let you fast forward or rewind. So if you have movie and you stop it half way through you have to watch the whole thing over again. There must be a file size limit that is causeing this. Does anyone know why this is?

Perry

IndieSnob

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2001
Well it would help if you could tell us what format/codec the video files are in, as well as what other media players you have tried. Also some specs my help. I have no problems playing anything on my system just using FFDshow with VLC.

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
I am ripping DVD's and possibly TV programs to WMA files to play on my Zune. I used DVDfab decrypter to convert the DVD's to WMA format. When I play a movie on the Zune I have no control where I am in the movie. If I stop it in the middle I have to start all over again. This does not work with a 2 hr movie or 1 hr long TV show. I read something about indexing being removed on the Zune.net sight but some of those folks are not too technical. I have the same problem when I play ms-drv files in media palyer or any other viewer.

Perry

Pretty Cool

Jan 20, 2000
The no-indexing is your problem, not the file size. That happened to me when I used to capture video streams off the internet. I tried a software program to process the file, but that was a hassle & never worked properly. I also tried converting the file to another format, but never had much luck with that either. Maybe somebody else has a better suggestion.

mc866

Golden Member
Dec 15, 2005
You could try fairuse wizard, it has a zune profile and it works great with my zune 80, I'm able to rwd and ff through the entire movie. Sound actually is better than the ones I ripped with DVDFab.

nordloewelabs

Mar 18, 2005
the best thing to do is getting a new MP3 Player.... one that supports a wider selection of codecs. Zunes and iPods suck equally. players by Cowon and Archos are very flexible codec-wise.

Perryg114

Jan 22, 2001
Ulead Video Studio 11 works well although it may not rip a protected DVD it will take a DVD (VOB format) that you have ripped with DVDfab etc and convert it to any format you want with indexing. Its not free though. I tried to use the converters in the trial version of DVDfab and it left out indexing. I am still having problems with closed captions showing up. I also used the Ulead program to combine all my home digital movies to Zune format.

Perry