Media NAS?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by Cymera, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Cymera

Cymera Member

Hello all!

I am planning to put together a NAS and was looking at the Synology DS218+ (around $500 on Amazon.ca) and 2 x Western Digital Red 8TB (around $359 each at Canada Computers). I want to be able to access documents and media from anywhere very easily, and I liked Synology's features and what I've heard about the brand.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this little build or does it seem okay?

Thank you in advance!

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Media Forum Date
    Discontinued windows media center? Home Theater PCs Jan 2, 2018
    Intel NUC as an iTunes Media Server Home Theater PCs Sep 8, 2017
    Win 7, Media Center, HDHR-Prime(s) and strange behavior on a re-deployed system Home Theater PCs Sep 7, 2017
    Wireless AC @ 450 Mbits/sec and HTPC with Media Center? Home Theater PCs Aug 27, 2017
    SOLVED: Fix Media Center Guide Listings that show "No Data Available" Home Theater PCs Jun 2, 2017

3. VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry Lifer

Sounds good to me, for a "First NAS" setup. I don't have direct experience with Synology, but I have heard them recommended often, along with QNAP. I have several QNAP units, as well as some Lenovo/EMC, and unRaid.

As a somewhat-experienced NAS user, now I'm looking at larger NAS units (5/8-bay), having started with single-disk units, moving to a dual-bay unit (with RAID1), and then moving to a 4-bay, with RAID5. (UnRAID box has 8 bays. Gotta love FM2.)