Discussion Media is covering this election all wrong — the real question is whether Trump can steal it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Cool, I just feel the need to point out just how crazy the Electoral Collage system really is every now and then.
It is one of those things that sounds like a good idea until you really start to think about how is really works and what effects that has on our politics. It is actually one of the strongest enforcers of our two party system, and that is almost certainly a completely unintended consequence by our Founding Fathers.

Im less anti-electoral college than I am anti-two party system. And the only way to change that is to be part of the process of changing it.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Cool, I just feel the need to point out just how crazy the Electoral Collage system really is every now and then.
It is one of those things that sounds like a good idea until you really start to think about how is really works and what effects that has on our politics. It is actually one of the strongest enforcers of our two party system, and that is almost certainly a completely unintended consequence by our Founding Fathers.
Non-proportional Senate positions is a major problem also. Why 2 for Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, to name a few. Founding fathers.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Non-proportional Senate positions is a major problem also. Why 2 for Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, to name a few. Founding fathers.

It is worth remembering that in the Founding Fathers vision The United States of America had the emphasis on the word States and not America. They basically envisioned us being more like a tight group of allied independent nations than One Nation Under God. The Senate was intentionally set up that way so that each state was considered equal, instead of the individual people in that state. The House was set up to represent the individual peoples, and was intentionally set up to be the lesser house. There is an unmistakable message in that.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
It is worth remembering that in the Founding Fathers vision The United States of America had the emphasis on the word States and not America. They basically envisioned us being more like a tight group of allied independent nations than One Nation Under God. The Senate was intentionally set up that way so that each state was considered equal, instead of the individual people in that state. The House was set up to represent the individual peoples, and was intentionally set up to be the lesser house. There is an unmistakable message in that.
Oh I completely understand the thinking at the time. Things change.

I also advocate that the HOR needs to at least double the amount of representatives. This will dilute some of the partisanship that is destroying this country and provide granularity of representation.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
What is crazy about this is that we are considering Texas a battleground state. That alone should tell you how much trouble Trump is in.
Stop just focusing on Trump, Senate is also in play, so are state legislatures and governorships during a census year election that's going to determine who does redistricting. We need to fight at all levels for every seat.