Discussion Media is covering this election all wrong — the real question is whether Trump can steal it

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I'm under no illusion that this election will be fair.

We've already seen 2018 try to steal the election in NC and FL and GA where mass amount of votes were discarded.

We've already seen 2000 where a close election rather than go to a complete recount was halted by SCOTUS.

Are you confident that this coming election will not be tampered/ stolen?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I think we've pretty much proven beyond all reasonable doubt that Donald can commit serious federal crimes and walk away without any punishment. His senators and representatives flat out stated they thought he was probably guilty but were going to acquit anyways.
The real issue here is if any of his staff are found culpable. Will be they be arrested? Will they be charged? Will they be convicted?
That might be worth paying attention to.

The other major question is if its painfully obvious to the whole country that he did steal the election, what will the common citizen do? Will he grab a gun and storm the White House? Will he lobby congress to once again impeach the bastard? Will he passively resist everything the government tries to do until the whole nation just collapses?
Honestly I do not know. It will be fun to watch.

Personally if I were younger and in that righteous/angry phase of my life I'd be inclined to join the fortress-stormers. Almost assuredly die for it too. But maybe if it gets on the news it will wake up a sleeping giant.

compcons

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2004
Does the Lincoln Project or other group have a suggestion box? How about a 60 second ad showing all the corruption and maneuvering that is leading to what will assuredly be a compromised election? I will gladly help pay for that ad.

Reactions: Homerboy

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Of course they are going to try to steal it, they might have stolen it already by closing voting sites and forcing people to risk their lives to stand in hours long lines in order to try to vote. They rigged the courts to greenlight this. The real question is, given that the legal route is foreclosed, what are we going to do to create very strong disincentives to do so?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Of course they are going to try to steal it, they might have stolen it already by closing voting sites and forcing people to risk their lives to stand in hours long lines in order to try to vote. They rigged the courts to greenlight this. The real question is, given that the legal route is foreclosed, what are we going to do to create very strong disincentives to do so?

After some research, I found out that battleground states all have unlimited mail in voting. Dems are pushing it like crazy. And Trump has the GOP all twisted about it, so they're the ones who'll vote in person to make their vote count, Goddamnit. Or something.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The real issue here is if any of his staff are found culpable. Will be they be arrested? Will they be charged? Will they be convicted?
Will they be pardoned if they are? Almost certainly.
Remember, as long as you win you are immune to all consequences.

The other major question is if its painfully obvious to the whole country that he did steal the election, what will the common citizen do?
There will be mass protests, which the police will turn into riots. Someone somewhere will loot a convivence store then the national guard shut will be called in to shut down the Antifa terrorists that are destroying our nation.
They have figured out how to stop protests. Just wait until one person does something stupid (and someone always will), then paint the entire protest as violent and stomp on it with both feet. Make sure that you use enough force that some protesters get seriously injured, that way you make it dangerous to protest, so next time the cooler heads stay home and it is even more likely that someone does something stupid earlier.
Our right to protest has been taken away, and we applauded it.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
After some research, I found out that battleground states all have unlimited mail in voting. Dems are pushing it like crazy. And Trump has the GOP all twisted about it, so they're the ones who'll vote in person to make their vote count, Goddamnit. Or something.
Texas doesn't, and I don't think Georgia either.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
What is crazy about this is that we are considering Texas a battleground state. That alone should tell you how much trouble Trump is in.
I have heard of a blue moon rising many times but never seen it. Will believe it when I see it

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
This would be a perfect election to finally get an independent elected.

You coulda had Jill Stien 4 years ago but you had to just had to give the rich a tax cut and pretty much nothing else.. only brag about a red hat?

What got into you?

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
This would be a perfect election to finally get an independent elected.

Not going to happen, even if they managed to get a majority of the popular vote they almost certainly would not have enough votes in the EC to be elected. After the first round of EC voting failed to get the required 270 votes for one person, the third party EC votes would end up going to the Primary party closest to their views. The fact is a strong 3rd party vote is probably Trumps best chance at winning this election.

Lets say a Libertarian Party came in and took a good number of the disgruntled Republican vote, making the top popular vote candidate a 3rd party. While they might have one a few big states, they will not have claimed enough EC votes to reach 270. The major party EC is not going to vote for the third party candidate, so it is up to the 3rd party candidates EC to choose someone that can get up to 270 votes, so they toss their vote to the Republican party. In this manner it is entirely possible that Trump could win a second term with as little as only 25% of the popular vote, having won the election with fewer popular votes then either the Libertarian or the Democrat. Isn't the American Election system fun!

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Not going to happen, even if they managed to get a majority of the popular vote they almost certainly would not have enough votes in the EC to be elected. After the first round of EC voting failed to get the required 270 votes for one person, the third party EC votes would end up going to the Primary party closest to their views. The fact is a strong 3rd party vote is probably Trumps best chance at winning this election.

Lets say a Libertarian Party came in and took a good number of the disgruntled Republican vote, making the top popular vote candidate a 3rd party. While they might have one a few big states, they will not have claimed enough EC votes to reach 270. The major party EC is not going to vote for the third party candidate, so it is up to the 3rd party candidates EC to choose someone that can get up to 270 votes, so they toss their vote to the Republican party. In this manner it is entirely possible that Trump could win a second term with as little as only 25% of the popular vote, having won the election with fewer popular votes then either the Libertarian or the Democrat. Isn't the American Election system fun!

Yeah, I know.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Yeah, I know.

Cool, I just feel the need to point out just how crazy the Electoral Collage system really is every now and then.
It is one of those things that sounds like a good idea until you really start to think about how is really works and what effects that has on our politics. It is actually one of the strongest enforcers of our two party system, and that is almost certainly a completely unintended consequence by our Founding Fathers.