Media Center with Vista???

Kayotic1

Dec 11, 2005
I was wondering if anyone knew if windows media center will be on windows vista when the full build is released. I'm asking because I'd really like to be able to stream media from my computer to my 360 and was thinking of upgrading to MCE 2005, but that wouldn't make sense since vista will be avaliable sometime later in the year.

Crizza

Nov 11, 1999
Yes, there will be 3 or 4 flavors of Vista that will have Media Center functionality

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
You guys forgot the best part of Media Center in Vista...CableCard support. You'll be able to get full digital cable, including premium channels and HDTV into Media Center without a box from the cable company.

Right now, the only support for HDTV is OTA with an ATSC tuner.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: STaSh
You guys forgot the best part of Media Center in Vista...CableCard support. You'll be able to get full digital cable, including premium channels and HDTV into Media Center without a box from the cable company.

Yes, but it's unclear what the DRM will be like, and you still won't be able to record things that are flagged to prevent recording (like PPV events or most movies shown in HD).

Right now, the only support for HDTV is OTA with an ATSC tuner.

Or using a QAM tuner for unencrypted channels over digital cable/satellite.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Matthias99
Originally posted by: STaSh

Yes, but it's unclear what the DRM will be like, and you still won't be able to record things that are flagged to prevent recording (like PPV events or most movies shown in HD).
DRM wont be any differant than it is on non-Windows devices that want to support premium/HD content.

wexsmith

Oct 7, 2004
In fact, most of the DRM restrictions are put in place by either the cable company or the broadcast station. I would venture to guess that M$ has no interest in meddling with the DRM already set in place.

Vista being able to disable certain media functions when using non-approved 3rd party software is what gets me. It's no reason to be afraid of Vista though.

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
Isn't Media Center supposed to be a part of the Vista package. Not a seperate edition like it is currently.

stash

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2000
Yes, as mentioned above, certain SKUs of Vista will include Media Center functionality. Media Center will not be a separate SKU like it is today.