Media Center remotes- well supported under Windows 8.1?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I'm looking at building a little gaming HTPC for myself (thread here), and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to actually steer the thing. I was hoping that Windows 8.1's tile based interface would work very well with a Media Center remote- the XBox 360 has a similar interface these days, and surfing around that with the XBox remote was a real breeze. But I've seen some worrying things that Windows remotes are basically useless in Windows store apps- I saw a video where someone was able to use it to get into the Netflix app, but then couldn't actually start a video at all, and even if he started it with his mouse he couldn't pause, fast forward, etc. Making such a love 10-foot interface and then failing to support a remote control just seems ridiculous!

Has anyone got any experience with this? Does Windows 8.1 support media center remotes well at all? Or am I going to be stuck with a keyboard and mouse on my lap the entire time?!

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
Hmmm, I will try to remember and plug in my old MS Media Remote into our laptop (with 8.1) and see what happens.