Media Bias chart for their ONLINE content (Abc, Cbs, CNN, Fox, NBC, AP, Ny Post, NY Times, etc)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
He has been promising a great healthcare plan for 4 years now "soon". No one besides the hard core Trumptards believe anything he says at this point.
Sure he’s promised new and great health care like 20 times now but time 21 when he does it there’s going to be the biggest swing in presidential polling in the last several decades and he will win in a landslide.

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54

twjr

Jul 5, 2006
The chart and some of the comments in this thread highlight what happens when the Overton window starts to get shifted significantly off centre. When one side of society, politics and the media, in this case the right, openly embraces conspiracy, falsehoods and outright lies while deriding science, demonstrable fact and observable reality as having a liberal bias you know things are off kilter. One of the worst outcomes from the Trump presidency has been his enabling of all manner of lunacy across the globe that only a handful of years ago would have been considered on the fringe.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm pretty sure they care more about access and dollars than they do about the Democratic establishment.
It’s odd how these lapdogs of the democratic establishment torpedoed the democratic establishment’s last presidential candidate.

Wonder how he explains that.

nexus5rocks

Mar 12, 2014
The list seems accurate. BBC should be one column over to the left IMO.

Now the question is, where does the person who did the rankings fall on the political spectrum?

• Haha
Reactions: pmv

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006

Now the question is, where does the person who did the rankings fall on the political spectrum?
This is all opinion. If you look at MSNBC, it would look center in Europe. Fox would be off of the right side of the chart.

Again, fact checking while keeping track of omissions is way more important and accurate than trying to assign an arbitrary "bias." Everyone has an agenda. Im more concerned with a news agencies willingness to give the full story.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

You are delusional. Or just share the political bias of whoever drew up the list. The BBC is decidedly conservative, by the way. It has been consistently biased towards the Tories for a long time.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
You are delusional. Or just share the political bias of whoever drew up the list. The BBC is decidedly conservative, by the way. It has been consistently biased towards the Tories for a long time.

Nope...

I present to you this litmus test. All news organizations had the FULL 2 hour video before posting anything about Nicholas Sandmann and the Covington Catholic kids. That has been brought up against CNN, WaPo, and others. Any news outlet that went full lies and accused the kids of what didn't actually happen there is leftist. End of story. BBC went with the leftist media here and ran a smear article against the kids in full knowledge they were lying.

This article by the BBC was actually posted a whole day AFTER the event, and the full video was in circulation already since the original short video was released. I think it is a pretty damn good litmus test here of which news outlets were willing to do due diligence to post a factual story, or no story at the time, or run with lies/propoganda. Not that hard to go down that list in the OP and sort them out by looking at the news tab in google and selecting the date range for 1/19/2019 to 1/20/2019 and searching for Nicholas Sandmann Covington along with the news agency name. Pretty funny seeing how it shakes out of what people thought were not leftest news outlets.

To help things along, I'll do a few of the "center" ones....

AP (left but at least did a correction....)

NPR (left with no correction)

Reuters (left but with correction)

Real Clear Politics (left)

USA Today. (slightly left found it for the 22nd)

Couldnt find anything for bloomberg. This is from The Hill that day with correct reporting in a blog at least.

For reference, you won't find any of the right of the chart here with stories published lying about what happened with Nicholas Sandmann. Every single one on the left, and most in the "center" which are really left did though. Not all in the center though.

Christian Science Monitor, Bloomberg, The Hill, and WSJ didn't post lies at the time. I still consider Bloomberg left though for other litmus tests of what I've seen in their articles over time. The ones on the far left side posted NUMEROUS articles and some seem to go out of their way to double down weeks afterwards on the articles and their lies. They were demonstrably lying as news and were doing it with intent. Let that litmus test sink in.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Nope...

I present to you this litmus test. All news organizations had the FULL 2 hour video before posting anything about Nicholas Sandmann and the Covington Catholic kids. That has been brought up against CNN, WaPo, and others. Any news outlet that went full lies and accused the kids of what didn't actually happen there is leftist. End of story. BBC went with the leftist media here and ran a smear article against the kids in full knowledge they were lying.

This article by the BBC was actually posted a whole day AFTER the event, and the full video was in circulation already since the original short video was released. I think it is a pretty damn good litmus test here of which news outlets were willing to do due diligence to post a factual story, or no story at the time, or run with lies/propoganda. Not that hard to go down that list in the OP and sort them out by looking at the news tab in google and selecting the date range for 1/19/2019 to 1/20/2019 and searching for Nicholas Sandmann Covington along with the news agency name. Pretty funny seeing how it shakes out of what people thought were not leftest news outlets.

To help things along, I'll do a few of the "center" ones....

AP (left but at least did a correction....)

NPR (left with no correction)

Reuters (left but with correction)

Real Clear Politics (left)

USA Today. (slightly left found it for the 22nd)

Couldnt find anything for bloomberg. This is from The Hill that day with correct reporting in a blog at least.

For reference, you won't find any of the right of the chart here with stories published lying about what happened with Nicholas Sandmann. Every single one on the left, and most in the "center" which are really left did though. Not all in the center though.

Christian Science Monitor, Bloomberg, The Hill, and WSJ didn't post lies at the time. I still consider Bloomberg left though for other litmus tests of what I've seen in their articles over time. The ones on the far left side posted NUMEROUS articles and some seem to go out of their way to double down weeks afterwards on the articles and their lies. They were demonstrably lying as news and were doing it with intent. Let that litmus test sink in.

Yawn. Are we going back to that tedious never-ending thread again? That idiotic row wasn't that interesting the first time, apart from featuring the most annoying smirk I've ever seen, and being consistent with my existing prejudices against private schools. It was a load of fuss about nothing - citing articles about that hardly consittutes a long-term analysis of the politics of the publications listed.

I remember when I first encountered the New York Times, and remember being baffled how such a conservative publication could constitute 'the left' in US media. It's noticeably to the right of the Guardian, which itself is 'centrist' (that paper endorses the Liberal Democrats at most elections - how much more centrist can you get?)

You want a list of prominent Tories who dominate the BBC's news and current affairs departments? A list of all the times during my lifetime it's been blatently biased to the right? (Its coverage of the miners strike being the most obvious case). To claim the right-of-centre Beeb should be in the 'lean left' category means you have zero credibility with me.

Edit - clearly as you are presumably American, your whole notion of left and right is skewed at least one notch rightwards, if not more.

Reactions: hal2kilo and twjr

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Yawn. Are we going back to that tedious never-ending thread again? That idiotic row wasn't that interesting the first time, apart from featuring the most annoying smirk I've ever seen, and being consistent with my existing prejudices against private schools. It was a load of fuss about nothing - citing articles about that hardly consittutes a long-term analysis of the politics of the publications listed.

I remember when I first encountered the New York Times, and remember being baffled how such a conservative publication could constitute 'the left' in US media. It's noticeably to the right of the Guardian, which itself is 'centrist' (that paper endorses the Liberal Democrats at most elections - how much more centrist can you get?)

You want a list of prominent Tories who dominate the BBC's news and current affairs departments? A list of all the times during my lifetime it's been blatently biased to the right? (It's coverage of the miners strike being the most obvious case). To claim the right-of-centre Beeb should be in the 'lean left' category means you have zero credibility with me.

I'm not arguing the story of those kids. I am simply putting forth an easy and demonstrably easy to use litmus test for determining left leaning news outlets. I can certainly use others, but that one was first to pop into my mind.

Specifically about the BBC, if my litmus test didn't help.

How about their slanderous articles on Brexit? Or articles extolling the virtues of the Labor party? Or how their reports that slam Boris all the time? They treat Boris like CNN treats Trump.

The BBC has a single right side blogger that doesn't think climate change is what the left side is claiming and I guess that makes the whole operation right leaning huh? The fact that for years England has been massively left leaning in politics and the BBC has been mostly a government mouth piece should be all one needs to know about their political bias in their articles.

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I'm not arguing the story of those kids. I am simply putting forth an easy and demonstrably easy to use litmus test for determining left leaning news outlets. I can certainly use others, but that one was first to pop into my mind.

Specifically about the BBC, if my litmus test didn't help.

How about their slanderous articles on Brexit? Or articles extolling the virtues of the Labor party? Or how their reports that slam Boris all the time? The treat Boris like CNN treats Trump.

The BBC has a single right side blogger that doesn't think climate change is what the left side is claiming and I guess that makes the whole operation right leaning huh? The fact that for years England has been massively left leaning politics and the BBC has been mostly a government mouth piece should be all one needs to know about their political bias in their articles.

You are quoting The Express for a judgement on the BBC? The Express, that is the most right-wing mainstream national paper in the UK? The one that had a period of over a month when (as I remember deliberately checking - around the time of the first gulf war) every single one of it's front page headlines was untrue and known to be untrue at the time it printed it? The paper that makes the Daily Mail look reasonable and honest, and which caters almost entirely to reactionary UKIP leaning pensioners? The paper obsessed with Maddie McCann and Lady Di and with trying to scare it's pensioner readership to death? You are citing _that_ at me? I wouldn't wipe my arse on it.

And the Telegraph? A paper that became so right-wing even it's own (centre-right) ex-editor despaired of it, on account if it having been taken over by neo-cons?

Big shock - hard-right media thinks centrist media is left wing. What does that prove?

Please cite these 'slanderous' articles on Brexit. If they were slanderous then you should be able to sue for slander (UK libel laws lean strongly towards the plaintiff).

Besides, since when was Brexit a simple left-right issue anyway? The far left - including most of the leftists I've known - supported leaving the EU, for the most part, as the left never liked it since we joined it. For most of the '80s it was Labour Party policy to leave, and it was Green party policy right up to the referendum. I was quite ambivalent about it myself for a long time, literally only finally decided which way to vote on the day of the referendum (me and Corbyn, I guess!). I would also say that much of the pro-EU argument in the liberal media (e.g. the Guardian) was so weak as to be counter-productive.

So the BBC has a climate-change-denier blogger? i.e. a science-denying nutter? That's an example of what I mean - it has a lot of hard-right-wing people.

Yes the Beeb has often been a government mouthpeice - that's exactly how it acted during the '84 miners strike. As the government has been more often-than-not, a Tory one, that is why it so often so craven towards the Tories.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You are quoting The Express for a judgement on the BBC? The Express, that is the most right-wing mainstream national paper in the UK? The one that had a period of over a month when (as I remember deliberately checking - around the time of the first gulf war) every single one of it's front page headlines was untrue and known to be untrue at the time it printed it? The paper that makes the Daily Mail look reasonable and honest, and which caters almost entirely to reactionary UKIP leaning pensioners? The paper obsessed with Maddie McCann and Lady Di and with trying to scare it's pensioner readership to death? You are citing _that_ at me? I wouldn't wipe my arse on it.

And the Telegraph? A paper that became so right-wing even it's own (centre-right) ex-editor despaired of it, on account if it having been taken over by neo-cons?

Big shock - hard-right media thinks centrist media is left wing. What does that prove?

Please cite these 'slanderous' articles on Brexit. If they were slanderous then you should be able to sue for slander (UK libel laws lean strongly towards the plaintiff).

Besides, since when was Brexit a simple left-right issue anyway? The far left - including most of the leftists I've known - supported leaving the EU, for the most part, as the left never liked it since we joined it. For most of the '80s it was Labour Party policy to leave, and it was Green party policy right up to the referendum. I was quite ambivalent about it myself for a long time, literally only finally decided which way to vote on the day of the referendum (me and Corbyn, I guess!). I would also say that much of the pro-EU argument in the liberal media (e.g. the Guardian) was so weak as to be counter-productive.

So the BBC has a climate-change-denier blogger? i.e. a science-denying nutter? That's an example of what I mean - it has a lot of hard-right-wing people.

Yes the Beeb has often been a government mouthpeice - that's exactly how it acted during the '84 miners strike. As the government has been more often-than-not, a Tory one, that is why it so often so craven towards the Tories.
Remember, this is a guy who links white supremacist websites.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000

Slanderous Brexit article by the BBC? Coming right up!

Maybe their smear campaign against Lynton Crosby will enlighten you? Info drafted by the Labor Party for them before the found out they were duped.

I used more than the express and telegraph as examples. If you don't want to read it because you are biased how about... when the BBC portrayed Sunak as literal superman? Had a video and everything. Or Maybe Piers Morgan, far leftist, slams them for being further left than him?

Seriously, if the Guardian or the Mirror posts it, the BBC runs with it an hour later. They don't do that for Daily Mail or other right side EU news outlets. Whatever, believe what you want.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Remember, this is a guy who can't read the order of a courtroom history document and makes up lies all the time.
How does that relate to your linking of white supremacist websites? Why do you think white supremacist sites speak to you?

Nov 8, 2012
Reuters and AP are the only thing that are REMOTELY close to "center"... and even they lean ever so slightly to the left. Nevertheless, they are the closest....

I'll shit on both sides here though, The Hill in the mid? "Cristian science" in the middle? Never heard of them, but something tells me they lean a certain way lol. Also as someone that listens to NPR most of the time when I'm in the car and listen to radio.... LOL @ them being centrist.

This is more closely aligned to reality - but even it has its flaws.... E.g. VOX, Vice and HuffPo are FAR more lefty and should at minimal be outside of the "box" and at the same level as MSNBC (or Fox News for the opposite side equivalent). New York times is getting more nuts too and should be outside the box.

1596848042779.png

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Reuters and AP are the only thing that are REMOTELY close to "center"... and even they lean ever so slightly to the left. Nevertheless, they are the closest....

I'll shit on both sides here though, The Hill in the mid? "Cristian science" in the middle? Never heard of them, but something tells me they lean a certain way lol. Also as someone that listens to NPR most of the time when I'm in the car and listen to radio.... LOL @ them being centrist.

This is more closely aligned to reality - but even it has its flaws.... E.g. VOX, Vice and HuffPo are FAR more lefty and should at minimal be outside of the "box" and at the same level as MSNBC (or Fox News for the opposite side equivalent). New York times is getting more nuts too and should be outside the box.

View attachment 27670
Have you considered what you’re saying reflects your own bias and not theirs?

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

View attachment 27670
You don’t know who the Christian Science Monitor is? Lordy

Reactions: Meghan54