Medal of Honor Warfighter. Why the hate?

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Glancing at the reviews, the first MOH reboot, set in Afghanistan, was received okay.

The sequel, Warfighter was savaged in reviews. Was it really that bad?

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The script was kind of over the top, the gameplay was more like playing virtua Cop than the average corridor shooter, you really did just get static and shoot the targets. I don't think it was terrible it just wasn't anything new, interesting or brilliantly well executed. Mediocre in a genre that has been utterly done to death.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
I enjoyed the single player campaign. The multiplayer is ok, I played it for a while but I prefer BF3.

IMO, Warfighter is far better than Black Ops 2 which got rave reviews.

Hinda65

Jun 19, 2010
I liked it...i too was surpised it took such a beating ,,,, particularly PC Gamers review which totally bashed it and gave it a score of 34 if I rememeber right...

It certainly wasn't groundbraking and earthshattering but wtf .... 34.. seriously.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I enjoyed both the singleplayer and multiplayer in MOH: Warfighter. For whatever reason though, the game was met with poor reception.

People say it's because the game was really "generic".... which would make sense, except Call of Duty is also incredibly generic and it still gets high marks every year. How Medal Of Honor managed to get panned is totally beyond me. I don't understand it at all.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Are people still crying over Origin? Get over it already.

I know, I've had fewer problems with Origin since I installed it than I have had with steam in the same amount of time.

It offers almost all of the functionality and I download faster than steam as well. Steam has been trash for me lately. Constantly forcing me to erase my entire steam folder just to log in.

I should add, Warfighter's bad press was ridiculous. It's nothing groundbreaking or innovative as far as game design goes, but the story was decent, the gameplay standard FPS fare (read call of duty), and there were no glaring issues. The reviewers that trashed this game for trying to be call of duty need to trash call of duty for the same reason.

desura

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2013
Are people still crying over Origin? Get over it already.

I experienced this awful awful bug in Steam where it would crash on right click. Never had any similar problem in Origin.

Also, steam is really annoying. Like, it pops up like crazy.

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Ill take Origin over Steam any day. Faster downloads, less bloat, and with Origin you can get someone on the phone to solve any issue in minutes. With Steam it can take weeks for them to even acknowledge an email.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Both Origin and Steam are consumer crippling DRM. EA has been pretty badly behaved with a lot of customers, but its more to do with really broken games and people wanting refunds, which steam doesn't do either except in rare cases. I wouldn't consider either in our interests as customers but that is a another topic completely.

Origin isn't the reason it didn't do well, Battlefield 3 is a testament to that. MOH didn't do well because its not that good a game. The story is very Hollywood but there isn't much game in there, its just overdone. I enjoyed the single player but it wasn't good, it was throw away. The multiplayer wasn't good either, the mechanics weren't realistic or tight enough and the maps weren't great. It was mediocre.

Look at the IGN review conclusion (http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/10/27/medal-of-honor-warfighter-review):

Gorgeous visuals and high production values can only carry a poor experience so far. Expect to spend a lot of time waiting, watching, and wondering why you’re bothering to play at all during Medal of Honor Warfighter’s disappointing, confusing campaign.

At its core, Warfighter is a functional shooter built on trite design ideas, but significant technical problems knock it below the realm of mediocrity. This isn’t just an upsetting sequel or me-too military shooter – Warfighter is disrespectful of your time and unwilling or unable to adapt to what’s been done better elsewhere.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
Ill take Origin over Steam any day. Faster downloads, less bloat, and with Origin you can get someone on the phone to solve any issue in minutes. With Steam it can take weeks for them to even acknowledge an email.

I get the max download speed on all steam games. Finished downloading bioshock infinite in 2.5 hours yesterday and that's like 14 gigs.

I've never had problems with steam. When I installed mass effect 3, I had to call their support 3 times to get someone that can help me with the DLC that was never attributed to my account. After that, they told me it'll take 3-4 days for it to appear in my account. To their credit, only took 2 more days for them to fix this thing.

fuck origin.

tdawg

Platinum Member
May 18, 2001
I enjoyed the multiplayer of the first, a lot. Felt like such a change from COD:MW2 that I had been playing. I liked the single player campaign in Warfighter enough to finish it, which was the first single player campaign I completed in these modern FPS (COD:MW, MW2, MW3, BF3, MoH:Tier One). It felt like I was playing through the game version of the movie, Acts of Valor.

Note: My opinion is based off the xbox version of all these games save for BF3

Last edited:

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Both Origin and Steam are consumer crippling DRM. EA has been pretty badly behaved with a lot of customers, but its more to do with really broken games and people wanting refunds, which steam doesn't do either except in rare cases. I wouldn't consider either in our interests as customers but that is a another topic completely.
Totally agree! ^

Of the two evils, Origin just works better.

I get the max download speed on all steam games. Finished downloading bioshock infinite in 2.5 hours yesterday and that's like 14 gigs.

I've never had problems with steam. When I installed mass effect 3, I had to call their support 3 times to get someone that can help me with the DLC that was never attributed to my account. After that, they told me it'll take 3-4 days for it to appear in my account. To their credit, only took 2 more days for them to fix this thing.

fuck origin.
Its odd but I get MORE than my max download speed from Origin. Steam down speeds are good and I really have no complaints there.

I was put off Steam ages ago when I was locked out of my games for over a month simply because of some bug that would not let me go online after going into offline mode. After many emails and complaints back and forth and them saying it was on my end and telling me too try this and try that for over 4 weeks, finally someone realized it was on their end after all. Even today I see complaints about still having to go online to go offline....FUCK STEAM!

American Gunner

Platinum Member
Aug 26, 2010
Here is my main problem with the campaign. I hate when you give me AI teammates that do nothing, and then put a bunch on enemies on the screen that decide to only focus on me. If you are going to do this, like MoH did, then just make me a lone wolf. There is no reason to have other character on my squad if they don't do anything and if enemies act like they aren't there.