Question Mechanical Keyboard Layout

PatrickCah

Nov 6, 2012
Hi,

I just ordered this keyboard: Das Keyboard 4 Professional Cherry MX Brown Mechanical Keyboard - Soft Tactile. I had also considered the Corsair K70 MK 2, as I would prefer to have back-lit keys. However, I will also use my new keyboard for work and most gaming keyboards reverse the layout of certain keys such as the numeric keys, E.G. the dollar symbol is below the number 4. I would have order the Das Keyboard 4Q instead but it also reverses some keys like the K70.

Does anyone have experience typing on a gaming keyboard with reversed keys? Was it an issue for you?

Corsair used to offer the K70 (first generation) with the standard layout. I've read that it has something to do with LED lighting on Cherry switches. Although, I've seen membrane keyboards with the reversed layout so maybe it's to facilitate Gamers.

Thanks in advance for your replays.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Hi,

I just ordered this keyboard: Das Keyboard 4 Professional Cherry MX Brown Mechanical Keyboard - Soft Tactile. I had also considered the Corsair K70 MK 2, as I would prefer to have back-lit keys. However, I will also use my new keyboard for work and most gaming keyboards reverse the layout of certain keys such as the numeric keys, E.G. the dollar symbol is below the number 4. I would have order the Das Keyboard 4Q instead but it also reverses some keys like the K70.

Does anyone have experience typing on a gaming keyboard with reversed keys? Was it an issue for you?

Corsair used to offer the K70 (first generation) with the standard layout. I've read that it has something to do with LED lighting on Cherry switches. Although, I've seen membrane keyboards with the reversed layout so maybe it's to facilitate Gamers.

Thanks in advance for your replays.
The layout doesn't get reversed, just the legends on the keycaps.

The layout is identical when you type 4, it's 4 not $. You don't have to press shift + 4 to get 4.

It's literally only done because corsair uses north-facing LEDs (the LEDs are on the top or north side of the switch) which means you get most of your light coming from the top portion of the keycap, so the keys with 2 legends will generally put the primary legend on top so it gets the most LED light shining through it.

PatrickCah

Nov 6, 2012
The layout doesn't get reversed, just the legends on the keycaps.

The layout is identical when you type 4, it's 4 not $. You don't have to press shift + 4 to get 4.

It's literally only done because corsair uses north-facing LEDs (the LEDs are on the top or north side of the switch) which means you get most of your light coming from the top portion of the keycap, so the keys with 2 legends will generally put the primary legend on top so it gets the most LED light shining through it.
Okay, thanks. That makes more sense.