Meanwhile in Japan...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
This is why it is critical that we finish Yucca Mountain and store the nuclear waste scattered about the country safely and permanently. The waste stockpiles are all over the place and accidents waiting to happen.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
yeah if you watch the video he said the 3 reactors will boil water until next year!

He questioned what would be done with all of that water as it will be horribly contaminated.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Would prefer to read from vetted, credible sources.

my second link is cnn. I said translated wall of text incoming. Thats a persons view who is living in it. I'm not going to spend my days editing it down to its most salient parts crosschecking every statement.

If thats the bar to entry on these forums now I welcome it.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Watermelon science at it's best.

"In the stools of people in California have large quantities of nuclear waste."

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
my second link is cnn. I said translated wall of text incoming. Thats a persons view who is living in it. I'm not going to spend my days editing it down to its most salient parts crosschecking every statement.

If thats the bar to entry on these forums now I welcome it.

The whole thing is hogwash. I have a friend of mine whose a nuke engineer in the Navy stationed in Japan. His family is still in Japan even though he could easily have them in the US or Korea. If he hasn't moved them then it isn't nearly as bad as this so-called reliable source says.

Alarmist blog bullshit.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The whole thing is hogwash. I have a friend of mine whose a nuke engineer in the Navy stationed in Japan. His family is still in Japan even though he could easily have them in the US or Korea. If he hasn't moved them then it isn't nearly as bad as this so-called reliable source says.

Alarmist blog bullshit.

and yet another poster in this very threads friend move their family out after having independent studies done on the food.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
and yet another poster in this very threads friend move their family out after having independent studies done on the food.

Yeah its amazing how much everyone is downplaying this, and im not talking about just the japanese goverment. I mean how do you believe the japanese gov when the whole time they were saying its not a meltdown its all ok, not a meltdown. Even after the rest of the world knew that there was pretty much no other reason for the radiation levels than a meltdown only after it was so obvious there was no other option did they admit they had a meltdown.

My uncle told me the gov now is saying everything is fine, but as his testing confirmed fish cought off the coast near the incident did indeed show signs of radiation, granted not lethal or super high levels but much higher than the "safe" levels the gov is reporting. I dont understand why more people arnt leaving but i guess some people are stubborn or buy into the gov propaganda, there are still people living near chernobyl too after all.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Jstorm fear mongering, I'm shocked.

He sounds more like a Republican every time he posts his stupid opinions.

CLite

Golden Member
Dec 6, 2005
This also gives rise to a suspicion of STUK's measurement values. After all, this establishment for years lied to, that no power plant can not explode. This argument, however, was removed when the Japanese blew up, but it is a screenshot of the remainder of my blog:

You know this particular line annoyed me, out of all the nonsense in that article.

What has been stated is that NPPs won't undergo a thermonuclear detonation in the event of an accident. However, ever since TMI there has been great significance placed on the possibility of a hydrogen detonation. All plants have safeguards to prevent the accumulation of dangerous concentrations of hydrogen during the course of a LOCA accident. Obviously in the case of Fukushima these safeguards failed, however hydrogen detonation is a well documented failure scenario and it has never been hidden from the public. Feel free to browse publicly available literature from the NRC.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
yeah if you watch the video he said the 3 reactors will boil water until next year!

He questioned what would be done with all of that water as it will be horribly contaminated.

It's ok, "The ocean is big and it dilutes the stuff." :thumbsup:

AMFMQAM

Banned
Sep 5, 2011
Pity me, for I am a 9/11 truther who is off his meds.

Last edited by a moderator:

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001

People freak out over small things. The testing needs to be put into perspective with the dosage, length of exposure...etc. If my buddy thought that there was any significant danger to his family, he'd move them in an instant since he's educated in that area and the dangers of such.

So the food tests positive...what food really doesn't? Bananas have a large dose of radiation, relatively speaking. People surround themselves with granite and marble, both of which are likely radioactive. What about x-rays, or even flying? Your radiation exposure by flying is actually rather high.

The independent studies seem like a fiction and aren't verified, nor are this guy's claims.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
The independent studies seem like a fiction and aren't verified, nor are this guy's claims.

but your claims are verified. Thats cool. Thats pretty good evidence that everything is fine. Mods please lock the thread LK has put my mind at ease with his verifiable evidence.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
but your claims are verified. Thats cool. Thats pretty good evidence that everything is fine. Mods please lock the thread LK has put my mind at ease with his verifiable evidence.

Yeah, no shit. Lock the thread that posts fearmongering BS that has no grounding reality.

I'll take an EE, masters nuke, masters physics, officer, and probably the smartest guy I know before I believe some random blogger posting fearmonger BS.

Last edited:

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
First from the OP I don't bite.

That said, my wife is Japanese. Everyone but her lives in Japan. They are afraid. There are more earthquakes then ever before. They also know their government lies.

I also know people that work in the nuclear industry especially mobile crews...they are turning down guaranteed retirements to NOT work there and they love the risks.

We are very worried about our family in Japan. Hell even our BP oil crisis off Florida was downplayed, they found contamination just this past week due to the storms.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
First from the OP I don't bite.

That said, my wife is Japanese. Everyone but her lives in Japan. They are afraid. There are more earthquakes then ever before. They also know their government lies.

I also know people that work in the nuclear industry especially mobile crews...they are turning down guaranteed retirements to NOT work there and they love the risks.

We are very worried about our family in Japan. Hell even our BP oil crisis off Florida was downplayed, they found contamination just this past week due to the storms.
I would be worried were I in Japan, although probably not to the point of moving unless I were in the hot zone. Frankly I'd be more worried about the likelihood of another serious earthquake than of nuclear radiation contamination, but I'd be worried about that too. Especially given their government's behavior.

That said, although the OP's article looks like bullshit, his point is quite valid. There is widespread contamination, and while I don't think this approaches Chernobyl, it's damned close, and I can see why some people (especially in Finland, Japan and Korea) would be very concerned. And his point about it not being reported is valid too. This might not be new anymore, but it's still damned important, much more so than most of the things that get reported. If nothing else we need to be following this story so that we don't make the same mistakes with our nuclear plants, including our existing plants. I'd bet my last dollar that there are lessons here that should lead to some of our existing nuclear plants being modified. If the public is unaware of them, how likely is it that they actually get modified, as opposed to rolling the dice that a similar catastrophe won't happen here? I'm very pro-nuclear, but it's far too dangerous to take lightly.

P.S. Japanese women are hot. That is all.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I'll take an EE, masters nuke, masters physics, officer, and probably the smartest guy I know before I believe some random blogger posting fearmonger BS.

I guess you and i have differing ideas on what verifiable means.

rcpratt

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
Firstly. You and I agree on this.

Second. Chernobyl had 1 meltdown. There are 3 meltdowns in fuckyouup.
Yeah, because that's the only criterion that leads to radiation leakage. If you truly cannot understand the fundamental difference between this and Chernobyl, there's no hope.

Last edited:

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Firstly. You and I agree on this.

Second. Chernobyl had 1 meltdown. There are 3 meltdowns in fuckyouup.
Chernobyl had a massive explosion, hundreds if not thousands died soon after, and spread a highly radioactive cloud of debris across the world. It's meltdown was only a small part of the issue. There is literally no comparison here.