Meal delivery services for a vegetarian

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
You'd think that with vegetarianism and veganism being growing phenomena these kinds of services would be trying to capture that market. But I've only found one so far that has a decent selection of veggie meals. I'm not going to mention it though. I want to see if anyone recommends it.

I'm in central NJ if you know of one but it's location specific.

Mar 11, 2004
I think most people that are that fanatical about veggies have their own gardens and are also super into local source farmer markets.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
It's a growing phenomena because people are crazy. On the larger scale it is a 'hate' movement just like everything else going on. I don't have an issue with people who are, but I think the growing movement is bullshit. Many that I know personally remind me of jehovah's witnesses.

But to answer your question Hello Fresh and Green Chef are the more common ones with vegetarian/vegan offerings. I can't speak to them because I haven't seen anything on them I want.

Reactions: Charmonium

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
It's a growing phenomena because people are crazy. On the larger scale it is a 'hate' movement just like everything else going on. I don't have an issue with people who are, but I think the growing movement is bullshit. Many that I know personally remind me of jehovah's witnesses.

But to answer your question Hello Fresh and Green Chef are the more common ones with vegetarian/vegan offerings. I can't speak to them because I haven't seen anything on them I want.
Yeah, a lot of people tend to be at least somewhat evangelical about going to a plant based diet. I think it depends to some degree on what their motivation for switching was.

In my case, I just don't want to contribute to the suffering that is mostly synonymous with industrialized farming. I'm sure you've seen some of the shock and horror videos I'm talking about. I changed because I just feel too guilty about supporting that system. But even if every farm used human methods, I still wouldn't eat meat. I can't really explain why. It's just a visceral aversion.

I do refrain from proselytizing though since I understand that most people don't feel that way.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations.

Reactions: ImpulsE69

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
IMO I think vegen/vegetarian diet is probably way more sustainable. The way we have to mass breed animals just to keep up with demand is completely unnatural - and is done in unnatural ways, and they are pumped with steroids and other unnatural things. And that's not even accounting for the cruelty etc associated with the meat industry. While I'm not vegan myself, I don't have an issue with those who are and in fact I think they are doing a good thing. That said it is a good thing we do raise animals and don't just hunt them as we'd make everything go extinct. Nothing wrong with game hunting in season and within limits but if everyone was actually doing it every day to put food on the table there would not be enough animals left.

I'd be kind of open to going at least semi vegan myself, the trick is finding a source of protein though.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Plated seems to have four veggie options a week. I'm not sure if they are any good, though... I'm a carnivore :)
I think for Plated you have to actually cook. I suppose I could do that as long I could use a single pan and the instructions were simple. I'll have to think about that one. but thank you .

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I think for Plated you have to actually cook. I suppose I could do that as long I could use a single pan and the instructions were simple. I'll have to think about that one. but thank you .

Wait...all the meal delivery services (online) require you to cook. They just send you the portioned ingredients and instructions. Are you looking for something like meals on wheels? :)

Reactions: BudAshes

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
IMO I think vegen/vegetarian diet is probably way more sustainable. The way we have to mass breed animals just to keep up with demand is completely unnatural - and is done in unnatural ways, and they are pumped with steroids and other unnatural things. And that's not even accounting for the cruelty etc associated with the meat industry. While I'm not vegan myself, I don't have an issue with those who are and in fact I think they are doing a good thing. That said it is a good thing we do raise animals and don't just hunt them as we'd make everything go extinct. Nothing wrong with game hunting in season and within limits but if everyone was actually doing it every day to put food on the table there would not be enough animals left.

I'd be kind of open to going at least semi vegan myself, the trick is finding a source of protein though.

I only eat Kobe beef. If only someone treated me as nicely.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
Wait...all the meal delivery services (online) require you to cook. They just send you the portioned ingredients and instructions. Are you looking for something like meals on wheels? :)
I hope that's not true. The places I've looked at so far seem to send you meals once or twice per week depending on the plan. AFAICT, those are prepackaged, prepared meals.
But yes, I'm basically looking for someone to feed me.

AudreyII.2.jpg

Feed Me Seymour!!!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I hope that's not true. The places I've looked at so far seem to send you meals once or twice per week depending on the plan. AFAICT, those are prepackaged, prepared meals.
But yes, I'm basically looking for someone to feed me.

Feed Me Seymour!!!

Well, I mean, there are 'some' small numbers of vegetarian meals that don't need prepared - just mix the ingrediants, but ya, that stuff we are talking about requires you to prepare them because you are looking at mostly just salad variations if you aren't cooking. (It's not really difficult actually). I used to use Chef'd before it went under....now I use Home Chef - but their veggie meals are pretty limited.

I'm not really sure what is out there for prepared meals.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
it is ridiculously hard to be a vegan in this country. or at least trying to switch to vegan is extremely hard. temptation is everywhere, especially fast food . eating healthy seems to be unprofitable or only for the rich ($150,000+ salary ).

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
it is ridiculously hard to be a vegan in this country. or at least trying to switch to vegan is extremely hard. temptation is everywhere, especially fast food . eating healthy seems to be unprofitable or only for the rich ($150,000+ salary ).
Yeah, I'm not vegan. I know that being a dairy cow or egg producing chicken probably isn't a great life but that doesn't bother nearly as much as the other stuff that goes on. I AM trying to get away from eggs and dairy though but it's much more difficult, for me at least, that just giving up meat. I've been buying macadamia milk and I'm trying to develop a taste for vegan cheese. But I don't have the chutzpah to start making an issue of these things when I go out.

In an attempt to turn my reputation bar completely red, everyone of my posts will come with a bonus cat pic.

lolcat-123yuukiangel-15292824-450-337.jpg

Reactions: dave_the_nerd

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001

Not all of them, but most of them. Some food services places sell frozen meals that you just heat in the oven, but those are usually for people with special diets (Low Carb, Diabetic friendly, etc)

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
*sigh*

Expecting "MEAT delivery services for a vegetarian." Better read next time. Bye now.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
It's probably more money, but, with all the restaurant delivery options around these days, you could probably order delivery that way if you live in an urban or suburban area. Doordash, Grubhub, etc ....

Or, you can get grocery delivery, and stock up on stuff like black bean burgers and mushrooms for making simple dishes.

Charmonium

Diamond Member
May 15, 2015
A friend finally pointed me to a vegan meal service - Veestro. I ordered 10 meals and will check them out.