ME Progress??

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Link

Palestinians offer to renew Israel peace talks without settlement freeze, official says

The Palestinian leadership submitted a proposal to renew peace talks with with Israel that drops their long-standing demand that Israel ceases all West Bank settlement construction, a top Israeli official said on Wednesday.

But - here it comes

demand Israel releases 100 Palestinian prisoners

and no preconditions
"A freeze of settlement construction, holding negotiations based on the 1967 lines, and the release of prisoners are not preconditions but Israeli obligations, without which we can see no renewal of negotiations with Israel," the top Palestinian negotiator said

The Palestinian leadership submitted a proposal to renew peace talks with with Israel that drops their long-standing demand that Israel ceases all West Bank settlement construction, a top Israeli official said on Wednesday.

According to officials with knowledge of the proposal, the Palestinian Authority informed the Quartet two weeks ago that it would renege on its demand for a settlement freeze if Israel releases 100 prisoners as a show of good will.

The prisoners in question are reportedly all veteran inmates, incarcerated in Israeli prisons since before the Oslo accords.

The Palestinian proposal was reputedly the result of heavy pressure applied by Quartet members – the United States, the European Union, Russian, and the United Nations – on Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas to renew talks before January 26.

That date marks the expiration of the three months specified by a Quartet statement in September in which Israel and the Palestinians are to resume talks and present concrete proposals concerning issues such as borders and security arrangements.

Quartet officials – especially EU – made it clear to the Palestinians that they would bear equal responsibility in the event that the two sides would not resume talks by late January.

With one month to the Quartet deadline, the two sides haven't even held predatory meetings that were supposed to take place two months ago, in which Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's adviser Yitzhak Molcho and top Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat were supposed to set the talks agenda.

The Israeli official indicated that Israel rejects the Palestinian offer for two reasons: 1) That is replaces one precondition with another, and 2) since officials say the Palestinian proposal is too vague and did not make it clear whether the prisoners' release will lead to full talks that would include meetings between Netanyahu and Abbas or just the preparatory sessions.

Israel fears that, upon the prisoners' release, and after a few early sessions, the Palestinians will announce new conditions or find new ways to stop negotiations.

It seems at least some of the Israeli trepidation is warranted, since the Palestinains refuse to call the move a "resumption of negotiations," rather defining it as the "talks' renewal," meant to define the guidelines for future peace talks.

In a comment later Wednesday, Erekat denied that the PA offered to resume talks pending a release of prisoners, adding that the Palestinians had no preconditions for peace negotiations.

The Palestinians do not consider anything to be a preconditions but instead obligations.

Give us what we want and then we will talk - same attitude since the beginning.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Israel should seriously just exterminate the Palestinians so I don't have to read or hear about it anymore. I honestly think I would be OK with that. Its remarkable how many shits are given over such a relatively small problem.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
Talks should proceed then after, regardless of outcome, prisoners will be released.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Talks should proceed then after, regardless of outcome, prisoners will be released.

What the Palestinians consider talks is not the same as the Israelis.
Both Hamas and Fatah groups

Abbas bailed previously on follow up talks after Annapolis completed.
He did not show up after the settlement freeze that the Palestinians asked for.

Low level discussion on the color and shape of a table do not cut it.

As stated in the article; the famous Quartet (of LL) is getting irritated with the Palestinians.
The Palestinians of the West Bank (Fatah) want to team up with Hamas in the government - the Quartet has previously said goodbye to support if you do so.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
The Palestinians do not consider anything to be a preconditions but instead obligations.

Give us what we want and then we will talk - same attitude since the beginning.

Exactly true!!! The Palestinians are playing games with Israel.
You don`t play games with a tiger when your a little ole kitty kat!!

Of course that article just supports what we all knew was true a long time ago....the Palestinians are not at all interested in Peace!

They continue to be the #1 stumbling block to Peace!!
They truly are their own worse enemy!!

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
That newspaper needs a new English language editor.

See bolded words:

According to officials with knowledge of the proposal, the Palestinian Authority informed the Quartet two weeks ago that it would renege on its demand for a settlement freeze if Israel releases 100 prisoners as a show of good will.

"Renege" on a demand?

With one month to the Quartet deadline, the two sides haven't even held predatory meetings that were supposed to take place two months ago, in which Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's adviser Yitzhak Molcho and top Palestinian negotiator Saeb Erekat were supposed to set the talks agenda.

Freudian slip?

---------

I'm not really 'up' on this stuff. Been sick of it for about 30 yrs and think it's a waste of time.

But as I read the below I'm wondering what, if anything, is left to negotiate after all these concessions on Israel's part?

"A freeze of settlement construction, holding negotiations based on the 1967 lines, and the release of prisoners are not preconditions but Israeli obligations, without which we can see no renewal of negotiations with Israel," the top Palestinian negotiator said

Fern

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The pro-Israeli bias on this thread is too thick and the additional ? mid-east progress title is classic indeed.

But still there is mid-east progress and change, as the Arab mid-east is becoming more democratic, while the Israel stays unchanged.

Net result, its Israel that is losing international support at an ever accelerating rate.

But now the extremist reasoning of Netanyuhu shows the triple standard Israel wants to enjoy in regards to negotiating with the Palestinian people after the Hamas and Fatah schism. Which divided the Palestinian people into a Hamas policy of violence as a valid policy and the Fatah policy of rejecting violence. One would think Israel would then prefer Fatah.

But no Israel became too clever by half, refusing to negotiate with Fatah, on the grounds that since Fatah could not speak for all the Palestinian people, Fatah could not be a legitimate representative of the Palestinian people and therefore Israel had no peace partner. As Israel refused to even talk to Hamas.

Then the world totally changed in the past two years and Israel did not, as Israel lost the last vestages of any mid-east support from Egypt, Jordan, and Turkey. 20 years of Israeli of hard won diplomatic victories dating to the 1992 Oslo accords down the Tubes.

As even Hamas is thinking very seriously of trying Fatah brand non-violence. That would win Israeli recognition of its right to exist, not before but after the reunited Palestinians got a Palestinian State. One would think Israel would be thrilled at the prospect of gaining universal Arab support regarding its right to exist.

But no, Netanyuhu is now too clever by thrice, as he now says to Fatah, don't you dare even talk to Hamas, or convert Hamas into non-violent entity.

In short the Pals are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

The only thing remaining to be seen is how much longer even the USA will buy Israeli bullshit and total hypocrisy. As world support is rapidly flowing away from Israel and to the PLO.

As Netanyuhu was highly offended when Sacrosy of France called him a liar. And then Netanyuhu insults Germany and the rest of the EU for calling for a real Israeli settlement freeze instead of the phony settlement freeze EK touts as being real.

How much longer will it take before Israel goes the same way of the other apartheid State of South Africa? As yes Virginia and EK, Israeli extremists idiots are now the worst enemies of Israel.

And while I may be a critic of Israeli government policy, rational people all over the world would like to see Israel, the Arabs, and the Palestinian to in future find ways to live together in Harmony. The only way to find a win win win, Because a sole Israel win at the expense of 278 million people losing just ain't a gonna happen.

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
The Palestinians do not want peace. They want it THEIR WAY. This latest effort clearly shows it.

They changed the words being used because it sad getting them no where.

Preconditions. Now it is a bad word. Everone sees it for what it is
They will call it instead Israeli obligations as defined by the Palestinians.

They tried the September route; it did not succeed.
They now have the Quartet deadline to shape up. But they want to stall and paint Israel as the bad guy.

airdata

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2010
Israel should seriously just exterminate the Palestinians so I don't have to read or hear about it anymore. I honestly think I would be OK with that. Its remarkable how many shits are given over such a relatively small problem.

What about all of them? Let the European jews move back to whatever parts of europe they hail from.

That will calm things down in the middle east, alot.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004
What about all of them? Let the European jews move back to whatever parts of europe they hail from.

what if they're half middle eastern/half European? are you willing to move out of the usa to where your ancestors are from for the natives?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
For what its worth, the quartet who have tabled the Palestinian state issue in favor of waiting for new Israeli Palestinian negotiations that now don't expire until 1/14/2012.

While various backdoor negotiations between Israel and Abbas have been ongoing ever since 9/23/2011.

Yet the record show it was Netanyuhu and not the Pals who very recently with drew from even those backdoor negotiations.

So in 16 days time the ball is back on the side of the UN quartet, as Israel is in far worse shape that it was on 9/23/2011 when the formal application of Palestinian Statehood was first presented to the UN.

As Israel, in a simply brilliant manner told the EU to support Israel or else we will call you irrelevant.

Well tick tick tick, come 1/14/2012, the quartet will meet again

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

I've been saying that for years. Some people in here get their panties in a bunch about it.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Also LL is like Baghdad Bob or something. Israel is always "rapidly losing international support" and "running out of time." He's like the Doomsayer of Israel this guy.

Whiskey16

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2011
Yup, gevorg, little if any response and condemnation against GodisanAtheist for a clear and concise proclamation to exterminate Palestinians...

Anders Behring Breivik would feel quite at home here with equally violent support by some AnandTech members and little dissention against that extremism. Breivik must find pride in the knowledge that his message remains open and held proud. This forum's membership so often demonstrates it to be a close cousin to Stormfront, though I think there may even have more restraint or at least repercussions for such open instigation to violence.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
For what its worth, the quartet who have tabled the Palestinian state issue in favor of waiting for new Israeli Palestinian negotiations that now don't expire until 1/14/2012.

While various backdoor negotiations between Israel and Abbas have been ongoing ever since 9/23/2011.

Yet the record show it was Netanyuhu and not the Pals who very recently with drew from even those backdoor negotiations.

So in 16 days time the ball is back on the side of the UN quartet, as Israel is in far worse shape that it was on 9/23/2011 when the formal application of Palestinian Statehood was first presented to the UN.

As Israel, in a simply brilliant manner told the EU to support Israel or else we will call you irrelevant.

Well tick tick tick, come 1/14/2012, the quartet will meet again

Please provide links to your two statements that I bolded

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
It took Israel less then 2 months to fill the prisons back up after the Shalit exchange.

Games indeed...

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
What Israel may or may not do to the Palestinians is the business of "Israelis" and the "Palestinians" only. However, I've never understood why so many Americans support the State of Israel after all the false flag attacks they've done against Americans. I know the U.S. government probably wanted them to so it's not Israel's fault, but still, no one should support either government. Just because both countries are democrazies is the reason I'm most often given as to why there is an alliance, which enrages me.

To be honest, I really think that Ahmedinijad is nowhere near as dishonest as Clinton/Bush/Obama/Romney and I'm not even an "Arab". I'm "white".

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Progress?

The only progress that the Netanyahu govt & the settlers want is more settlements.

It's just the truth. Deal with it.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

This is why you know Israel is not evil...they have had, and continue to have, the power to exterminate the Palestinians. They do not.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
It took Israel less then 2 months to fill the prisons back up after the Shalit exchange.

Games indeed...

If there were not so many people committing crimes, the prisons would not fill up so quickly.

I agree, the Palestinians need to stop playing these types of games. They always lose.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011

I like your idea, but instead of concentrating on only one small group of people, lets track all the migrations of humans throughout history and make them all go back to where they came from.

Lets see...all humans would live in one area of Africa.

Yeah, your idea is pretty dumb, lets just pretend you never said it and call it even.