MCSA / MCSE - starting classes tomorrow

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: SirChadwick
LOL, at this point I'd love to get my paper cert and take one of these super-ego's jobs.

And get fired in a few weeks because you don't know jack sh!t.

And subsequently cause that employer to think twice before hiring those "useless certified people" again. That's what causes our hard-earned certifications to become worthless... when unqualified people pass these exams by memorizing the real test questions and answers.

One who passes the MCSE exam should *already* be able to do the things found on the exam... not be able to learn how to do the things found on the exam. It's a proof that you are already qualified... not that you can, at some point, be qualified. You don't get the certification to learn how to do that stuff... you get the certification to prove you're already able to do it.

Uniprep isn't "suggested by Microsoft". The only Microsoft-authorized vendors of practice exams is MeasureUp and Self Test Software. That's it - check the Microsoft Learning Web site to see for yourself.

Go ahead and get your paper cert, Chadwick. Either you'll get and keep a job and realize that I'm full of crap... or you'll fall flat on your face, you'll remember what we said about learning and understanding the material first (and believe what you want, but a bootcamp is not the place to learn concepts), you'll take a step back, and start over the right way.

I'm not here to blame you. I'm here to help. But if you constantly think we're attacking you, you're not going to listen to us. You are in control of your destiny right now... but you have to make the right choices for your IT career. I've already built my career the right way. You can do the same... but not by using these braindumps and passing the MCSE exams before you're truly ready and have a full understanding of the concepts... not just able to answer 60 multiple choice questions correctly.

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: BigJ
#1 - I go to class everyday for 13+ hours a day
#2 - My instructor never broke into any office or stole info and he assures that the practice tests (uniprep) are suggested by Microsoft and very helpful in preparation
#3 - I've had many instructors/professors give out practice tests that reflected some of the exact answers on the tests, which brings me to my logic -
memorizing these test examples are a temporary solution to prove that you have the ability to retain information. Becoming a TRUE MCSA/MCSE does
not occur until many many months after taking the course after you've taken the information learned and applying it to everyday situations in a
corporate world.

So 13 hours a day for 8 days qualifies you to have a certification that people spend months preparing for in order to pass the test and become certified? It justifies you having the cert compared to all the others that have worked with the software and concepts, and their implementations for months?

Also, a Certification is supposed to prove you understand the concepts behind the questions asked, and that you are knowledgable in the area. You practice, study, and work for many months BEFORE the exam and then take the certification, not after.

Simply put, if the questions are EXACTLY those that are on the tests, the company more than likely got them from a braindump. If they're similar, thats a whole different story. However, out of the entire test, you said that only 7 or 8 were different, which definitely suggests something highly unethical is taking place.

But justify it however you want. If you're comfortable with yourself in sacrificing your integretiy and ethics to get a cert, then by all means go for it.

By your logic, I should be able to get my CS degree by taking a bootcamp for a few months, and then afterwards actually learn the material?

Tell all of this to Microsoft and the schools that offer "boot camps". You think I wanted to take an 8 day course for certification? Hell no! My company insisted that I do so... and I didn't want to disappoint, so I agreed to. As for a college education, it's also overrated. I spent 5 years getting my BS in IT and a 2nd discipline in Admin of Justice and I've learned more my first 8 months at my job then I did in all my years in school.

So tell your company what they're doing and have them get a refund... they might just appreciate your honesty! If I were your supervisor, I certainly would.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
oh, and my boss told me i should have just stuck it out... he didn't seem happy. now I have to go back to work as a mcsa dropout - can't wait to explain to everyone that I quit because my instructor provided braindumps that helped on the exams.

at least i feel good about myself :\

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
oh, and my boss told me i should have just stuck it out... he didn't seem happy. now I have to go back to work as a mcsa dropout - can't wait to explain to everyone that I quit because my instructor provided braindumps that provide the exact questions and answers for the exams.

at least i feel good about myself :\

fixed

I wouldn't have responded, since you said that the discussion was over, but it looks like you're wanting to continue talking about it. If not, just say the word, and the discussion is over again.

You don't sound like you feel good about yourself. In any case, if you really quit, then you deserve congratulations... and if your boss is a jerk about it (or condones braindumping), then that's probably not somewhere you really want to work long term, is it?

imported_griffis

Sep 14, 2005
I would LOVE to see one of you guys tell your boss I am not taking this class for the $5000 you just paid because a bunch of people in my field of work don't agree with the tactics that are used to teach the class. Plain and simple, if microsoft didn't agree they wouldn't have boot camps guys. As far as everyone here thinking that cert's get you a job, you are wrong. Alot of IT IS personality. Quit beating the guy up over a decision that was never his to begin with, his boss told him to take this probably because spending 8-12 months going to class isn't exactly what I would call efficient. Just my .02

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Originally posted by: griffis
I would LOVE to see one of you guys tell your boss I am not taking this class for the $5000 you just paid because a bunch of people in my field of work don't agree with the tactics that are used to teach the class. Plain and simple, if microsoft didn't agree they wouldn't have boot camps guys. As far as everyone here thinking that cert's get you a job, you are wrong. Alot of IT IS personality. Quit beating the guy up over a decision that was never his to begin with, his boss told him to take this probably because spending 8-12 months going to class isn't exactly what I would call efficient. Just my .02

It's not Microsoft's boot camp.

Microsoft doesn't have a problem with boot camps... they have a problem with braindumps (which are used by some boot camps).

I'm not beating him up over deciding to attend the class. I simply advised that the tactics used by that organization can be detrimental to his career. He can choose to listen or to ignore - either way, it's *his* choice.

I agree that taking 8-12 months of classes isn't efficient. I have yet to take a single IT certification class, yet look at the certifications I have acquired. It's all been through self-study and hands-on experience. That's how I recommend that techs study... not by paying a bunch of money and taking a lot of time to take a class.

imported_griffis

Sep 14, 2005
Originally posted by: TreyRandom

It's not Microsoft's boot camp.

Microsoft doesn't have a problem with boot camps... they have a problem with braindumps (which are used by some boot camps).

I'm not beating him up over deciding to attend the class. I simply advised that the tactics used by that organization can be detrimental to his career. He can choose to listen or to ignore - either way, it's *his* choice.

I agree that taking 8-12 months of classes isn't efficient. I have yet to take a single IT certification class, yet look at the certifications I have acquired. It's all been through self-study and hands-on experience. That's how I recommend that techs study... not by paying a bunch of money and taking a lot of time to take a class.

But why even go through that if your job will pay for it? Alot of companies won't do with they are doing with him anymore. It's expensive and takes up productivity. As far as being detrimental, I highly doubt it. I mean, when you interviewed for a job in IT, did they ask for a transcript? No, and they probably won't ask to see anything. I know alot of people disagree and think that there are no IT jobs, but there are you just have to look. Honestly, a certification is just a piece of paper just like my BS degree. All it says is you have the ability to regurgitate information on a test no matter how it is acquired. I myself learn better from hands-on experiences, so taking a test for me is useless as it is. Everyone learns differently, I just think everyone is trying to pass judgment way too quick on something that was NOT his decision. I am sorry to say that if you tell your work that you quit the class and wasted $5000 on you, they will not be happy no matter how you slice it. If anything he is doing it because he has to. I think people are forgetting that

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I hired a temp once with MCSE (more like MiCkeymouSE). Gave him a laptop and network card - came back after 3 hrs and he still couldn't figure out how to put it on the network - guess that wasn't on the test.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Thanks for backing me up Griff. And LOL, I wouldn't quit a cert class because of what some super uber honest Abe high tech overqualified geek thinks. It was all a joke. I'm actually sitting in class right now after completing my 2nd exam... which was a real bitch, even with the 250+ long ass braindumps. I still had to understand the context in order to get the answers right. It's been fun guys. 2 more tests and I'll be MCSA certified and carefree about what anyone thinks. And so will the other 12 students taking the class! They aren't complaining. I have a vacation coming up and that's all I'm looking forward to. Oh happy days.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
ignore all the negative twit responses...you are NOT paying for it....

you WILL learn and improve on somethings...and have to work on others /either way it is a win win for you..

/thread

all the other jaggoffs should go wanky in the corner whilst maintaining their hating attitudes

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
That's the plan Chunkee! For a minute I thought my opinion was one-sided. It's good to see that there are other normal people out there who agree with my decision.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

Wrong this is the kinda class MS wants to know about so they can shut down..
they DO NOT tolerate this activity..

there are many classes that do not provide the dumps and try to educate properly..
even boot camps..

The Training Camp is one..
Unitek in Saratoga Ca. is another.
both are nationally known both are true MS partners.. you get ONLY the official MS books and a set of transenders to study off of..
The instructors are all REAL MCSEs that are also MCTs that know thier stuff..

and guess what.. people pass these all the time without dumping..

If I told my boss a class the company paid for was just braindumping me he would be on the phone to our contact with MS and have the school decertified..and yes my company has a direct link to MS as a service partner..

Good for you Chad if you really did quit.. if your boss is as shady as that school Id be out the door though...

Most IT dept.s would want to know about this so they dont send thier employees there.