MCSA / MCSE - starting classes tomorrow

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
My company is paying for me to get MCSA certified and I'm starting the 8 day boot camp tomorrow morning. Have any of you guys done this? Any tips/site suggestions? I'm basically going to be cramming 4 tests into 8 days so I doubt it's going to be that fun. Do they give you hands on or is it all books? Any info on all this would be appreciated.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
Wait, your company is paying for you to have a cram session? They want you to pass the tests, but they don't want you to *KNOW* the material? Whatthefvck?

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: EyeMWing
Wait, your company is paying for you to have a cram session? They want you to pass the tests, but they don't want you to *KNOW* the material? Whatthefvck?

I thought the exact same thing! I told my boss that I'd rather take the longer session, but nothing was available for quite some time... so I'm cramming. He knows that I will just set up my own small network within my cube area anyway to tinker around w/ everything... F it, its free and looks good on my resume. Any sites around that will help w/ studying?

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Originally posted by: EyeMWing

Yeah, I read it and was like, "Great...another MCSE boot-camp guy that thinks he knows everything in the work force..."

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I never act like I know everything. I have a bachelors degree in IT and have a good background and learn quickly... but I'm one to constantly ask questions instead of being ingnorant and just acting like I know the answer.

T3C

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2003
Damn, I have mine planned out over months. Also working on mine. I have 4 tests down :)
I wish you luck!

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
You must be going for the MCSE... how many tests? 7?

What's up w/ this braindumps site? Is it legit or crap? Seems like that would be too easy.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: SirChadwick

What's up w/ this braindumps site? Is it legit or crap? Seems like that would be too easy.

Braindumps are the reason why certifications mean less and less.

They will pay people to take the tests and to memorize as many questions as possible. They get a solid bank of actual test questions/answers, so you will more than likely see questions on the MCSE from the test banks on these sites.

It's technically legal, but highly unethical and unprofessional.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BigJ

They will pay people to take the tests and to memorize as many questions as possible. They get a solid bank of actual test questions/answers, so you will more than likely see questions on the MCSE from the test banks on these sites.

yep. memorize those sites and you can be an mcse without knowing a damn thing.
funny thing is though, that a lot of places that actualyl do teach courses for mcse certs tell you to use them also...

aren't those bootcamps usually for people who already have an mcse cert in like win2k and need the cert for win2k3 server or something? because there's no way someone who doesn't know any of it will be able to learn anything by a bootcamp.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Like I said, I'm very surprised he signed me up for this boot camp also. I only have networking experience from college and my current workplace, which primarily consists of PC support. He just wants me to learn as much as I can and then utilize that new experience within the work environment.... he doesn't expect me to become an expert in a week... LOL. This is my 1st job out of school and my boss seems to be very supportive and understanding.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
My company is paying for me to get MCSA certified and I'm starting the 8 day boot camp tomorrow morning. Have any of you guys done this? Any tips/site suggestions? I'm basically going to be cramming 4 tests into 8 days so I doubt it's going to be that fun. Do they give you hands on or is it all books? Any info on all this would be appreciated.

my company sent me on one of these 14 days in Cali cramming to update my MCSE NT4 to 2003

was hell..12+ hours of class a day then study after that... 14 days of this..
and yes depending on who you are going to you will have labs and hands on..

and yes LOTS of companies are sending employees to these camps..
everyone in my class was there from large Silicon Valley based companies updating employees certs..

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
Originally posted by: BigJ

yep. memorize those sites and you can be an mcse without knowing a damn thing.
funny thing is though, that a lot of places that actualyl do teach courses for mcse certs tell you to use them also...

aren't those bootcamps usually for people who already have an mcse cert in like win2k and need the cert for win2k3 server or something? because there's no way someone who doesn't know any of it will be able to learn anything by a bootcamp.

i did one about 5 yrs ago. i only passed 5 of the 7 exams then. :(

i still have 2 to go but haven't had any motiviation to go and take the exams since.

but i went in with a reasonable amount of knowledge. a couple of the guys in the class were already cisco certified and others where already nt4 certified. i don't think anyone passed all 7 during the course but most passed 5 or 6. the real newbies, ones that came in with very little background floundered, 2 of 12 dropped out after 4 days, 2 stuck it out but only passed 2 exams.

i think the cram sessions are great for people (if company is paying too expensive to pay yourself) who want the cert and have a good background. some of the companies send their people because MS or another large corporation wants a certain number of their people certified, they don't have to know anything, they just have to have the cert.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
Just got back from my first day.... and yes it was HELL. I was there from 7:30 until 10pm after lecture and study time. Talk about a braincram! And 7 more days of this until it's over... fortunately right now I'm holding off on the MCSE until further notice. My instructor did give us 107 practice questions for the 1st exam 70-270 and he said they're close to exactly what's on the test tomorrow. I compared w/ a lot of the questions at braindump and they match up, so I'm less worried now. Also, I get 3 chances to take each test. The first 2 are sure shots and the 3rd is a bonus now.... hopefully I don't get to that point. Anyway, there is no way in hell that anyone could take in and use the knowledge from a 8 day course as a true MCSA cert. I know for a fact that when I'm done I still have much to learn, but at least its a starting point and looks good on my resume.

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
update: First exam was easy, got a 968/1000. Studying for 70-290 now. I'm a little worried about exam 3 seeing as how everyone has to retake it or the course for that matter b/c of that 1 test.

LeadMagnet

Platinum Member
Mar 26, 2003
I did a 6 week (40hours/week) program for my MCSE back in 1994 (Windows 3.51) - it got me a job as a sysadmin. I would say it was worth it, but I have never bothered to maintain my cert, because companies want experiance and knowledge not paper.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i did a 6 month mcse course.

i only got up to mcsa because the last part was sql and i really didn't get it or understand too well.

i got a 998 (missed one question) on the 1st test and my friend who was also taking the course got a perfect 1000

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: LeadMagnet
I did a 6 week (40hours/week) program for my MCSE back in 1994 (Windows 3.51) - it got me a job as a sysadmin. I would say it was worth it, but I have never bothered to maintain my cert, because companies want experiance and knowledge not paper.

Yes and no, a lot of places still require you having certain things, with experience meaning less than paper in some cases. Hurts for me, because I have more experience than anything else.. I am still considering getting my MCSE. Just takin' a 24 week program part time and getting it all done.

TreyRandom

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
update: First exam was easy, got a 968/1000. Studying for 70-290 now. I'm a little worried about exam 3 seeing as how everyone has to retake it or the course for that matter b/c of that 1 test.

It's easy because you're using braindumps - which is cheating. It's no different than stealing the final exam from a professor's desk and studying those answers. And if the company giving you the boot camp is giving you those questions, they're enabling you to cheat. Companies like that need to be put out of business.

If it were me, I'd not be able to live with myself cheating my way through the exams. I'd tell my employer what the company is doing and bail from those classes. But then again, I'm just wired that way - integrity is important to me.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: TreyRandom

It's easy because you're using braindumps - which is cheating. It's no different than stealing the final exam from a professor's desk and studying those answers. And if the company giving you the boot camp is giving you those questions, they're enabling you to cheat. Companies like that need to be put out of business.

If it were me, I'd not be able to live with myself cheating my way through the exams. I'd tell my employer what the company is doing and bail from those classes. But then again, I'm just wired that way - integrity is important to me.

then there wouldn't be companies that do it. every single one i've heard of suggested using the braindumps.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

I agree Unitek in cali where i went only gave us the Microsoft Offical Curriculum and a set of trancenders which are legal and not dumps..
they only taught the theory and not the test questions..

this course sounds like a real winner =/

SirChadwick

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001

Braindumps eh? If that's what you call the practice tests that my course instructor provides us with... then I guess you're right. But I wouldn't call it cheating at all. With a course this short, you basically have to cram and memorize regardless. Test scores don't always reflect knowledge, plain and simple. I've failed tests in some of the college classes I feel that I excelled in and aced tests in courses that I'm horrible in due to the instructor alone. I'm basically spending 6-7 hours a day studying my ass off on practice questions of 200+ and sitting in class for 10 hours a day just so I can do well on a test which includes 50 questions w/ sims. Do I feel like a cheater in the least bit? Nope! And my company just paid $5,000 for me to take this course. Think I want to come back to work so I can tell them I failed the exams.... I think not.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004

Braindumps eh? If that's what you call the practice tests that my course instructor provides us with... then I guess you're right. But I wouldn't call it cheating at all. With a course this short, you basically have to cram and memorize regardless. Test scores don't always reflect knowledge, plain and simple. I've failed tests in some of the college classes I feel that I accelled in and aced tests in courses that I'm horrible in due to the instructor alone. I'm basically spending 6-7 hours a day studying my ass off on practice questions of 200+ and sitting in class for 10 hours a day just so I can do well on a test which includes 50 questions w/ sims. Do I feel like a cheater in the least bit? Nope! And my company just paid $5,000 for me to take this course. Think I want to come back to work so I can tell them I failed the exams.... I think not.

This is why Certs are worthless becasue of people like you that will take advantage of this crap..
what do you think those tests are for?
to PROOVE YOU KNOW HOW TO DO IT..
Bootcamps are not for newbies.. I didnt cheat and use braindumps when I went and mine was 14 days of 12 hour days and 8 tests..

this is exactly what is ruining IT with paper certs..