McNabb says black QBs criticized more

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Syringer
Originally posted by: waggy
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Originally posted by: BlinderBomber

As for QB...I'll take Rich Gannon over McNabb any day. Still would.

You're kidding, right? You forgot to include the wink or the smiley face or whatever, didn't you?

Nope. While Gannon may not be as physically gifted he is far better at managing a game and is a more intelligent QB than McNabb. You also didn't see Gannon sucking wind in the superbowl and throwing up in the huddle.
You also didn't see McNabb's team getting embarrassed in the SUper Bowl even though they played a team superior in every way to the Raiders opponent when they were in the SB.

He also didn't have to play a team whose head coach was his own coach just a year prior and knew the playbook, audible signals, and his own tendencies better than his current coach. If the Raiders had played any other team with any other coach, it would've been a much different story..

Plus Gannon = 1 MVP, McNabb = 0

5 INT 3 ran back for TD's!

there is only so much you can blame on the coach knowing the playbook!

For sure, but you're at a huge disadvantage when you're going up against one of the most dominating defenses in league history, an opposing coach that pretty much knows what's going to happen before it does, and when your own head coach is so idiotic that he kept the same play calls and had to make changes at halftime. How is a QB supposed to deal with that?

In any case, McNabb threw for 3 INTs in his lone Super Bowl appearance.

very true.

more i think about it i would take either over REX!

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by: eits

You're kidding, right? You forgot to include the wink or the smiley face or whatever, didn't you?

Nope. While Gannon may not be as physically gifted he is far better at managing a game and is a more intelligent QB than McNabb. You also didn't see Gannon sucking wind in the superbowl and throwing up in the huddle.
You also didn't see McNabb's team getting embarrassed in the SUper Bowl even though they played a team superior in every way to the Raiders opponent when they were in the SB.

if mcnabb was the bitch you say he is, wouldn't he admit to throwing up in the huddle and wouldn't he make an excuse for the loss during the super bowl, citing that he had the flu or something and wasn't up to 100%?

mcnabb hardly ever makes excuses for his performance. he always shoulders the blame and he doesn't bitch about it.

so what if he thinks black qbs are more scrutinized than white qbs... they are. whether you like it or not, black qbs are under the microscope than white qbs. mcnabb would have gotten flack for yesterday's performance regardless of the color of his skin because he played horribly in the past two games, but he the fact remains that black qbs are criticized more than white qbs...

the same goes for black coaches vs white coaches.

why? maybe because it's a newer trend, relatively and historically speaking.

Check out MotionMan's quote above, McNabb (2003) would have beef with what you said

"McNabb told the Philadelphia Daily News: 'It's sad that you've got to go to skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal.'"

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

if mcnabb was the bitch you say he is, wouldn't he admit to throwing up in the huddle and wouldn't he make an excuse for the loss during the super bowl, citing that he had the flu or something and wasn't up to 100%?

mcnabb hardly ever makes excuses for his performance. he always shoulders the blame and he doesn't bitch about it.

so what if he thinks black qbs are more scrutinized than white qbs... they are. whether you like it or not, black qbs are under the microscope than white qbs. mcnabb would have gotten flack for yesterday's performance regardless of the color of his skin because he played horribly in the past two games, but he the fact remains that black qbs are criticized more than white qbs...

the same goes for black coaches vs white coaches.

why? maybe because it's a newer trend, relatively and historically speaking.

Check out MotionMan's quote above, McNabb (2003) would have beef with what you said

"McNabb told the Philadelphia Daily News: 'It's sad that you've got to go to skin color. I thought we were through with that whole deal.'"

? so what?

more black qbs have come into the super bowl since then, thereby increasing their scrutiny. society isn't colorblind... neither is football.

white receivers and running backs get put under the microscope, too.

it's just the way things are.

mcnabb saying that it's sad that it's sad that skin color has anything to do with his success as a quarterback. limbaugh was saying that mcnabb sucked and that he's only getting praise because he's black, which everyone knew was bullshit.

what mcnabb is saying now is that because he's black, he's a bigger story (whether he does well or poorly) than if carson palmer or peyton manning.

it makes perfect sense... white quarterbacks are common... it's the way things were for a long time. now that more black qbs are entering the nfl, it's becoming somewhat of an issue (not a bad one or anything... just something different). because it's new, journalists will always find a story involved in black qbs, whether it's because someone scrambles too much or if someone throws too hard or if someone's great at audibles or reading the defense, etc... and, likewise, whether they are sucking and why they're sucking.

no one gives a shit about philip rivers sucking, but they care if mcnabb or young or leftwich start sucking...

Chiboy

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2002
McNabb needs to STFU & play football instead of the race card every time he sucks.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001

Yup, I just know I can't turn the sports page without seeing Ed mcf'inCaffrey plastered all over it. YA KNOW??

McNabb needs to get a hold of his life.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Yeah and when the f are they going to stop talking about TAVARIS JACKSON. I can't even watch sportscenter for 2 minutes before they keep talking about Tavaris Jackson over and over again.

And luckily Charlie Weis is white so the media doesn't care about him.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

Yup, I just know I can't turn the sports page without seeing Ed mcf'inCaffrey plastered all over it. YA KNOW??

McNabb needs to get a hold of his life.

journalists made a big deal about ed mccaffrey being good, same thing with drew bennett and mike alstott and john lynch... they didn't say it was because they were white and, therefore, uncharacteristically good for their position.

throwing = stereotypically, something whites are good at
running, jumping, cutting = stereotypically, something blacks are good at

so, whenever there's a roll reversal, the microscope is on whoever disrupts the happy medium... or whatever you'd like to call it.

eEvolve2

Aug 20, 2007
You're "ignorant" if you don't see the similarities. Last year they were the ONLY QBs who made things happen with their feet. Forget class, in terms of playing style, neither have great throwing abilities or mechanics, but both can run.

Last year Vick had 1039 yards rushing leading the QBs in that department, Vince Young had 552 to be in second, no one else was even close. Garrard (another *gasp* black QB) was third with 250.

Name me someone else who is even remotely similar to Vince that's white..

Thus them being athletic as in comparison to other quarterbacks, which I said. who, honestly is disputing black players are far more athletic then their white conterparts overall? Look at the RB and WR superstars. Anyway, they can make plays with their feet and do. But, Vince Young is a pass first quarterback, unlike Vick who would run at the first sight of trouble. The coaching staff TOLD Young to run more last year. So if you looking at numbers, your right, if your looking at playing styles, sorry. Young is more like Mcnabb, but faster.

He needs work on his passing, but everyone knew that coming in. Also, outside of Eric Moulds, can a non-titans fan name a WR or TE without ESPN.com? I will say with confidence if you put him in Arizona in place of Matt Leinart, with those wide outs, his numbers would be MUCH better. Plus the kid is a Rookie, Vick had 6 (?) years to improve his pocket presence and passing, but was unable to. Lets come back in 2 years and check his numbers, provided the titans get some talent.

So like I said, they are black and athletic quarterbacks, but at this point you cant compare the two without forcing it. And to your last question, Jeff Garcia. First 5 years in the league he broke 300 yards three times including a 414 season. Id call that a "white" running quarterback.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
IMO, it's because he's black that McNabb has been given a free pass over the years against some of the harsher criticism he deserves. He's been a good quarterback when he's had the talent around him, but nothing like what he's been built up to be. McNabb has been like Warren Moon, a good quarterback and better than most, but missing the consistency during the crucial times that would get him over the hump and make him great. To me, that's why he doesn't have the Superbowl ring, and is on my list of good, but not great, quarterbacks.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: jjones
IMO, it's because he's black that McNabb has been given a free pass over the years against some of the harsher criticism he deserves. He's been a good quarterback when he's had the talent around him, but nothing like what he's been built up to be. McNabb has been like Warren Moon, a good quarterback and better than most, but missing the consistency during the crucial times that would get him over the hump and make him great. To me, that's why he doesn't have the Superbowl ring, and is on my list of good, but not great, quarterbacks.

jjones should change his name to rlimbaugh

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones

jjones should change his name to rlimbaugh
Sorry, I'm not PC like some of you. You might consider changing your name to nancy.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
McNabb was never an elite QB. He was an average QB surrounded by good talent.

Now that that surrounding talent is gone he is showing that he is just an average NFL QB.

Seriously? What talent? James Thrash, Todd Pinkston, Freddie Mitchell? Where was this great talent? Other than TO, the only Pro Bowl offensive help McNabb has had is the tight end, Chad Lewis.

The Eagles defense certainly helped their cause during those NFC Championship runs. Their faltering along with McNabb's injuries have hurt the Eagles' overall performance.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: edro
Originally posted by: Cuda1447
Originally posted by: edro
Greatest Black QB of All-Time?

Warren Moon?
Randall Cunningham?
Steve McNair?
Michael Vick?
Vince Young?

There really aren't that many.
I truly think that has to do with racism. (coaches not encouraging blacks to be QB; having them as an RB or WR instead)

Is it just a coincidence that they seem to be getting better and better? (ie... more good black QBs are showing up)

Also, where the hell are the black kickers and punters?
...and the White RBs for that matter.

You're full of shit and McNabb is a whining bitch. After every single bad play he throws his arms in the air and does this look of disgust. He's got an ego problem and seriously overrates his own ability.

Ya know what, fuck. You're right. And now that I think about it, its because of racism that there are very few good white running backs. Hell, I can't even think of a starting white running back right now. And whites make up a large majority of the population, we should see a hell of a lot more. Coaches just make the white boys plump up and play linemen cause they are racist. :confused:

Get a freaking grip. Stop being a whining bastard like McNabb.
Notice that my list does not have McNabb.
I do not like him either and he is not a great QB.

What is your hypothesis for the lack of good black QBs?

Why does there need to be one?

Where are all the good Asian & Hispanic QB's?

At Florida State we had Charlie Ward (a black QB), the Hiesman winner, but he choose to play basketball. Why? IDK.

There are black QB's all the over the place, whether in high school or college. But any attempt to answer your question will just draw charges of racism.

Fern

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Face it there is racism in society. But it isnt just white on black racism. It comes in all flavors. White on black. Black on white. etc.

For McNabb to say that black QBs are more criticized than white QBs is absolute crap.

Peyton Manning got absolutely KILLED in the media until he won a super bowl. He doesnt get criticized anymore, BECAUSE HE WON THE SUPER BOWL>>> Let him go three years losing to the Pats Or Steelers in a big AFC playoff game and guess what? They will start dogging him again. They will say he got lucky in 2006.

Like Billy martin once said. I dont care if Hitler or Moussalini (sp?) played on my team if they helped me win.

Same goes for fans everywhere. They dont care if you are black, white, yellow, red, pink with purple polk-a-dots... If you can bring a trophy to their town, guess what, they will liek you no matter what color/race you are. But until you do, you will get criticized.

Ask Chad Pennington who was almost perfect on throws until he got injured last week and the home fans cheered his ass off the field. Ask Eli Manning, and he has only been playing for 3 years. Still not enough? Talk to Rex Grossman, who has probably been the MOST criticized player in all of sports the last year. How about Big Ben last year, who by the way was coming off a Super Bowl victory. Ask him how much shit he had to put up with.

I used to think McNabb was a decent player and actually felt bad for him when T.O. put the word out on him that he was a quitter.. Now I hope he gets yanked for AJ Feeley after they lose to the Lions next week.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I think McNabb has an absolutely valid point about racism. Here in Chicago, our white QB Rex Grossman has never received any criticism in the media, he was never discussed as being the worst SB QB in the history of the NFL. Grossman's certainly never been booed by the fans at Soldier Field. Nope. All the criticism is reserved for the black QBs. And there's certainly nothing to it that McNabb plays in the city with the most disgruntled fans who boo anyone anytime regardless of race.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
"Black or white quarterbacks, we all go through something because that's the life of a quarterback," Vince Young said Wednesday after Titans practice. "You've got to be able to handle all the pressure. You've got to be able to handle the losses. You've got to be able to handle the media. If you can't handle it, you've got to get off that position and go play something else."

Vince Young is a smart guy..

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
McNabb clarified himself by giving an example that reporters question his passing accuracy, and ask him about being a mobile QB more than white QBs such as Steve Young... perhaps the most accurate QB in NFL history, and McNabb uses him as the example of the differences. Sorry, McNabb, the difference is that Steve Young is a better QB than you, not that he's whiter than you.

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Right..they question his accuracy because it's not there, as especially evidenced in the last few games.

And they're asking him about his mobility because he used to be a running qb, and now he's turned into Dan Marino.

If Steve Young, John Elway, or whoever else out there suddenly stopped running midway through their career, they'd get questioned about it too, the same way that Vince Young would if he suddenly became strictly a pocket passer.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Young said he respects every quarterback in the NFL and that everyone is entitled to his opinion.

?That?s not my fight to fight. Right now over here the Tennessee Titans, we?re trying to go to the playoffs. I can?t worry about all the other stuff going on,? Young said.

Wilbon just butchered Vince for giving this comment.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I just hope he can get his act together. He's killing my fantasy football team.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: daveymark
I'm sorry to say this, I don't think he's been that good from the get-go. I think what we've had here is a little social concern on the NFL. I think the media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. They're interested in black coaches and black quarterbacks doing well.

It's true, but any sportscaster would would say that on air would get fired just like Rush did.