McFlip & ObamaFlop

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: Robor
Yeah, yeah, you support Ron Paul. We get it. What you don't get is many (most) considered RP the most of the evils and that's why he didn't come close to winning the nomination over a very weak field of (R) candidates. Please give up this cause of Ross Perot 2008.

Yeah yeah, you can't read as usual. I never mentioned him. I did mention your grandma, but I guess lying is something you like. Oh wait what is that new fangled word you use for lying? Flexible, thats right. :disgust:

I can read and I can add 2 + 2 so you didn't have to mention Paul considering your support for him is well known.

Oh, and all 4 of my grandparents are dead. Thanks though. Very classy.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Genx87
I think my dad said it best last weekend when the topic of politics came up. "If these three clowns are the best our country has to offer(Clinton, Obama, McCain) we are in bigger trouble than it appears".

I had to agree.

Broken record x infinity. Seriously.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I think my dad said it best last weekend when the topic of politics came up. "If these three clowns are the best our country has to offer(Clinton, Obama, McCain) we are in bigger trouble than it appears".

I had to agree.

What that we continuiously get half assed candidates every election cycle? I agree, that is a broken record that needs to be fixed.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004

I had to agree.

What that we continuiously get half assed candidates every election cycle? I agree, that is a broken record that needs to be fixed.

:thumbsup:

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Even if you vote for the 'lesser evil', a phrase I don't find worthy of applying to our presidents because it demeans the value of calling someone evil, they are only in office 8 years, but the federal and SC judges they appoint are there for decades, so I take that very strongly into account.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah, yeah, you support Ron Paul. We get it. What you don't get is many (most) considered RP the most of the evils and that's why he didn't come close to winning the nomination over a very weak field of (R) candidates. Please give up this cause of Ross Perot 2008.

Yeah yeah, you can't read as usual. I never mentioned him. I did mention your grandma, but I guess lying is something you like. Oh wait what is that new fangled word you use for lying? Flexible, thats right. :disgust:

I can read and I can add 2 + 2 so you didn't have to mention Paul considering your support for him is well known.

Regardless if it is well known or not, I explicitly stated to vote for someone, ANYONE even your grandmother if you feel she is worthy. I'm glad you passed remedial math! :thumbsup:
Oh, and all 4 of my grandparents are dead. Thanks though. Very classy.

How about your Mother? Father? Sister? Brother? Best friend? You have to know someone of better character than the clowns running.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Originally posted by: palehorse
Originally posted by: Lemon law
Well, one thing I have got to say, that older distinguished looking ex Navy seal was pure moral bankruptcy personified. What clue could he possibly have about evil or the less of when he is purely a scum of the earth murder and absolutely a political. You would find more patriotism in the mafia.
as you sleep peacefully in your bed... :roll:

Um ... knowing that our military has murdered entire villages of innocent people and has no bad feelings about it makes me sleep a lot less peacefully. Our military has a history of doing deplorable things and then covering it up. How DARE you try to defend, even passingly, someone performing mass murder without conscience.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: palehorse
Well, one thing I have got to say, that older distinguished looking ex Navy seal was pure moral bankruptcy personified. What clue could he possibly have about evil or the less of when he is purely a scum of the earth murder and absolutely a political. You would find more patriotism in the mafia.
as you sleep peacefully in your bed... :roll:
Yeah because I'm a callous son of a bitch with little or no compassion for people of other lands. I'm glad you feel the same way as I'd hate to be the only bastard in these forums.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

I had to agree.

This is said over and over in *EVERY* election. Everyone is flawed thus there is no perfect candidate. There never will be.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: jonks
Even if you vote for the 'lesser evil', a phrase I don't find worthy of applying to our presidents because it demeans the value of calling someone evil, they are only in office 8 years, but the federal and SC judges they appoint are there for decades, so I take that very strongly into account.

Yep. Bush appointed conservatives and McCain has promised to continue in Bush's footsteps. I don't want to see the SC lean any more to the right.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We don't get half assed candidates. In a two party system we get people who must appeal to a broad cross section of America. Since few people actually encompass this exact same position every candidate will have policies you like and policies you don't. This doesn't make them half assed, this just doesn't make them your clone who happens to be running for office.

People like to run to the refuge of just saying "bah, I don't like any of them" because it helps absolve them of responsibility of actually acting to make things better.

DerekWilson

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2003

Yep. Bush appointed conservatives and McCain has promised to continue in Bush's footsteps. I don't want to see the SC lean any more to the right.

we should get judges who would rather uphold the integrity of the constitution than push a left or right agenda.

judges appointed by obama or mccain will be equally bad, because they will all be pushing for things that are equally wrong for different reasons.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: DerekWilson

we should get judges who would rather uphold the integrity of the constitution than push a left or right agenda.

judges appointed by obama or mccain will be equally bad, because they will all be pushing for things that are equally wrong for different reasons.

Maybe you could give some examples as to what you think judges are currently doing that isn't upholding the constitution?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Young Grasshopper
mctroll's flip flops far outweigh obama's. i dont think people care too much about flip flopping on political campaign funding in comparison with taxes and immigration.

So, now we have a weighting system on flip flops. Do, pray tell, explain to me the formula.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: Fern
Yes, and I'm a believer in "strategic voting".

Neither candidate is my ideal choice. Yet I contend that there is merit in voting for the lesser of 2 evils. What rational person would not want to avoid the *most* evil?

on one end we have the constitution. on the other we have both candidates.

What?

The presidential election is not a referendum on the Constitution. It's about policy for me; for some it's likely about the *personality/style of the candidate*.

Example: Let's say I'm opposed to UHC. I say once the program is implemented, it won't go away, just grow. IMO, the only logical thing to do is vote for the other ("less evil") mainstream candidate in hoping he wins or at least comes so close the evil/UHC candidate has no clear mandate.

Even if my candidate loses, I can take some solice in that my vote made the margin of victory for the *most* evil smaller. That is not necessarily a small thing.

When Presidents get large margins, like Reagan, they usually get big mandates too. The smaller the margin - the lesser tha mandate and the more embolded the opposition is. IIRC, GWB started out as the weakest Prez I can recall. Only 911 changed that.

a vote for a 3rd party rather than the winning candidate still eats into their mandate.

Nope, not necessarily. It cannot be said that a vote for Nader in 2000 reduced GWB's margin. Instead his vote increased GWB's margin enough for him to win.

Obama is ahead in all the polls. As a conservative I would have to vote for McCain in order to reduce Obama's margin. Were I to vote for any other candidate, I would be increasing Obama's vote margin by 1

And the fact that the "weakest" in terms of mandate president was able to do an incredible amount to weaken and damage our country should go a long way toward saying that a lack of mandate isn't going to stop anyone if the right circumstance comes along ... And wouldn't those times of crisis be the most important ones to really pay attention to a lack of mandate and try and bring the country together rather than pushing a bullshit agenda?

Until 9-11 came along, GWB was looking like the weakest Prez in history. I don't know how one votes for such an unanticipated event. I also know that Congress had to go along with him to enable him to accomplish anything (and I'll point out that one party held both branches at that time.

IMO, protest votes are for *suckers*, or the most fervent of ideologues.

Fern

*sigh ...

the idea of a vote as anything other than a persons expression of support for a candidate is the cause of a great many problems in our country.

Again, I vote for policy. IMO, political policy is more important than the person. The person leaves office, the policy often lives on - whether it's because the policy remains on the books or we endure/enjoy the lingering (after)effects.

A candidate can have great character, be honest and articulate and admired by other countries, but if their policies turn out bad I'm stuck with that in my daily life for years to come.

Combine all their wonderful personality traits, add $5 and I might be able to buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks. Bad policy? I'll be paying high gas prices, high taxes, and have crappy health care etc. I don't mean to completely diminish personality traits, but rather to emphasize policy. Bill Clinton had personality flaws, but his peccadillos didn't affect me in any direct way (other than maybe provide some entertainment or national embarrassment).

the only actual way to make anything happen isn't to vote. it is to stand up for what you believe, get involved in politics, run for public office, go to political conventions, email, call, write your representatives, educate people about the flaws of government, educate people about the intent of our founders, educate people about the fact that WE ARE THE SOVEREIGN HERE NOT THE GOVERNMENT, get all of your friends -- yes even the ones with different ideas on ideal policy -- to start doing exactly the same thing.

Yes, I contact my Senator etc. I'm fortunate, her office is just across the street from my office, so I go *visit* and express my opinions.

See bold.

Also, do not forget that the collective power of Congress is great. And know that (one of) their job(s) is to oversee the President and keep him in check.

That brings me to last point. When we (the US) really get off track, it's usually when one party holds both Congress and the Presidency. Congress seems far less interested in it's oversight duties (or less effective at them anyway) when the Prez is from their party. And the President seems far less interested in execising his veto power over Congress (runaway spending etc). After what happened in Bill Clinton's first term, and GWB's I think I'll likely always vote to make sure no one party controls both branches.

Wanna make a *protest vote*? Go ahead, but those people will be doing nothing to stop some of the likey problems I mention above. This thread is esentially an appeal to vote 3rd party, and my responses are an effort to explain why that's currently a bad idea.

Fern

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

So if a third party candidate was president he would magically find a whole host of independent judges that have zero political leanings? where are these judges, besides in fantasyland?

While I disagree that a judge cannot uphold the constitution while also ruling more to the left or right on an issue, and I also disagree in that most judges do attempt to remove peronal viewpoints from their rulings and stick to the facts and the law (since the vast majority of cases aren't about abortion or gun control or illegal aliens), one has to at some point be practical and say that if judges are going to be ruling left or right, then maybe it's better to have those judges ruling on the side you agree with. After 8 years of republican federal judge appointments any change is needed just for balance. Scotus sees a tiny fraction of appeals, so almost all cases are ultimately decided by the federal judiciary.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Fern: Policy means jack shit if they don't have that "personality trait" called integrity.

eh? I'd take good policies spearheaded by a Nixon than bad policies launched by a Mother Theresa.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
Fern: Policy means jack shit if they don't have that "personality trait" called integrity.

eh? I'd take good policies spearheaded by a Nixon than bad policies launched by a Mother Theresa.

You're missing the point. If Nixon had good policies during his campaign run then got into the White House and changed his mind, those policies mean jack shit because he lacks integrity. If Mother Theresa was running and got elected you would get what you voted for.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

You're missing the point. If Nixon had good policies during his campaign run then got into the White House and changed his mind, those policies mean jack shit because he lack integrity. If Mother Theresa was running and got elected you would get what you voted for.

No, you're missing the point. We all believe RP has the integrity to say exactly what he means and enact exactly the policies he advocates and that's exactly why we aren't voting for him.

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Well, one thing I have got to say, that older distinguished looking ex Navy seal was pure moral bankruptcy personified. What clue could he possibly have about evil or the less of
when he is purely a scum of the earth murder and absolutely a political. You would find more patriotism in the mafia.

The baby boomer generation was taught from an early age that our republic should be taken for granted and that the end always justifies the means. Poor bastards never saw what hit them.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005

You're missing the point. If Nixon had good policies during his campaign run then got into the White House and changed his mind, those policies mean jack shit because he lack integrity. If Mother Theresa was running and got elected you would get what you voted for.

No, you're missing the point. We all believe RP has the integrity to say exactly what he means and enact exactly the policies he advocates and that's exactly why we aren't voting for him.

troll somewhere else.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

Well the same goes for the opposite.

A candidate's integrity means squat to me if they are going to follow bad policy, why do I care if it's campaign promise they are sticking to? Bad policy is simply bad policy.

I think voting for policy gives Congress and other officials a good idea of what we want. That's about the most we can do, and then hope they'll wanna stay in office enough to get it done (and not flip-flop).

I think sending somebody to office based on what we want done (our policy preferences) is far better than sending them there with the idea in their head that they have some kind of moral superiority.

Also, you imply that a candidate can go back on their policies, but the same can be said of their integrity and ideals also. Many a good person has gone to Washington only to be corrupted. You getting your "integrity" is no more sure than me getting my "policy".

I don't mean to imply personal characterists are completely irrelevant, merely that they are not as important as policy to me. I also think judging such personal characteristics is far more difficult than judging policy.

Fern

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Since when did integrity ever matter to the 40% of Americans that vote? shit....not at least for 30 years...

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Fern

Well the same goes for the opposite.

A candidate's integrity means squat to me if they are going to follow bad policy, why do I care if it's campaign promise they are sticking to? Bad policy is simply bad policy.

You didn't get it either. That one with good policy and bad integrity only told you what the fuck you wanted to hear so he could get your vote. His policies change while in office and nothing you can do about it. All because he made you feel good when speaking. Sad. Majority of Americans are like this though, so it shouldn't surprise me one bit that you think the same.

I think voting for policy gives Congress and other officials a good idea of what we want. That's about the most we can do, and then hope they'll wanna stay in office enough to get it done (and not flip-flop).

Morally corrupt people running for office only tell you what you want to hear. It doesn't matter if they say the right things, it matters if they will actually follow through.

I think sending somebody to office based on what we want done (our policy preferences) is far better than sending them there with the idea in their head that they have some kind of moral superiority.

This isn't the point I'm trying to make here. Whether he thinks he has moral superiority or not is irrelevant, its whether YOU think he is a man of his word. But again, you would rather be seduced by a sweet drink only to find out its poison when its too late. We have fallen for this for far too many years/times. They (politicians) have it down to a science.

Also, you imply that a candidate can go back on their policies, but the same can be said of their integrity and ideals also. Many a good person has gone to Washington only to be corrupted. You getting your "integrity" is no more sure than me getting my "policy".I don't mean to imply personal characterists are completely irrelevant, merely that they are not as important as policy to me. I also think judging such personal characteristics is far more difficult than judging policy.
Fern

Wrong. Someone with morals and integrity will be more sympathetic to hear what people of this country want. Someone who lacks those qualities could care less about you and will get whatever they can, money, power, control etc.

The inner man means the most to me but it seems to many others its the "appearance" of the man that makes him who he is. Those who judge a man on such merits will get what they wanted. An outwardly good looking, excellent speaker who inspires the masses only to lead them off the cliff. His inner heart so corrupted with selfish desires, he will lead this nation into more corruption, more wars and more government control.

Those with integrity and honesty are shunned and spit on, flogged in front of the masses and mocked. Yet the populace is blind and cannot see the truth. Its hidden from them because thats all they know. Their eyes have been fixated on outward appearances all their lives, they've never been taught nor do they seek to be taught. Stubborn in their beliefs they fall prey to the wolves in sheep's clothing.

By the time you wake up from your dream, you will wonder what you were thinking when you went to vote for him and it will be too late. For you knew better then, didn't you.