McD's non-meat burger....McPlant?!?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Faux meat. Aka how to “ethically” kill yourself with protein extracted from the likes of peas.
That said, the meat at McDonald’s will kill you faster too.
Fried in veggie oil that is used in tough, abusive conditions.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I'm always a bit weirded out by fake meat but always willing to give it a chance. That said I'm not sure what the nutrient level is. Ex: do they also emulate real meat as far as nutritional value goes or is it all soy based and stuff? I think for this to work out it needs to offer the same or at least similar nutritional value as meat. It also needs to be sustainable. If they are clear cutting the amazon to plant whatever goes into this then that's not very sustainable.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I'm always a bit weirded out by fake meat but always willing to give it a chance. That said I'm not sure what the nutrient level is. Ex: do they also emulate real meat as far as nutritional value goes or is it all soy based and stuff? I think for this to work out it needs to offer the same or at least similar nutritional value as meat. It also needs to be sustainable. If they are clear cutting the amazon to plant whatever goes into this then that's not very sustainable.
These burgers use pea protein, some potato starch, some others.

I have sampled faux meat(before these restaurants started carrying these burgers). It is a culinary sin to eat it.

I would rather just grind the soybeans into “milk”, eat tofu with some salted radishes(the little MSG is of minor concern). Peas are better eaten as peas.

Plants can never emulate real meat. Although, organ meats and oily fish are higher in terms of beneficial chemicals. Oily fish might help reduce the chances of developing age-related macular degeneration.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I agree, the name McPlant is a horrible name.

I don't understand why they don't make a healthy plant-based burger. The toppings pretty much mask most of the taste of the burger anyways.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Stupid name. :confused:

Also if I'm eating @ garbage McDogburger's I want the greasiest, nastiest unhealthiest deep-fried aorta-spackling food on the dang menu!

;)

Reactions: snoopy7548

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
It saddens me that many people making 6 figures and more came up with McPlant and approved it.

We are fucked as a species.

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Yeah, I don't get why all of a sudden they're being so literal with their food names. It's not like they're continuing an existing pattern by calling things "McSlime" (nuggets), "McDevastatedFisheries" (filet o fish), or "McChemical" (McFlurry).

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I like trying these Meat subs every once in awhile. After 3 "Hot Dog" tries I have learned to buy Meat Dogs as well. Score is 0/3 Would Eat Again.[/ProTips]

May try this.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Bring back the lardons!

I am going to cook Coq au Vin and need to hunt down lardon.

thick cut pancetta if you can find it, or thick bacon/pork belly in a pinch, then dice them into long, thick straws. simmer those bitches down, reserve the crisped bits for later, and you got your fat to fry that bird and your crispy lardons to toss in during the braise.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I like trying these Meat subs every once in awhile. After 3 "Hot Dog" tries I have learned to buy Meat Dogs as well. Score is 0/3 Would Eat Again.[/ProTips]

May try this.
The only meat substitute I've found that's palatable has been chicken (chik'n?). Plant based chicken patties or nuggets seem to be pretty close, and my daughter gets a stuffed chicken roll thing once in a while that's not too bad. All of the beef and pork variants I've tried so far have made me very very sad.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I like fake chicken, especially nuggets. Helps that I'm not crazy about chicken in the first place. It's really just a meat textured item to act as a carrier for hot sauce, and fake chicken works just fine for that.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The only meat substitute I've found that's palatable has been chicken (chik'n?). Plant based chicken patties or nuggets seem to be pretty close, and my daughter gets a stuffed chicken roll thing once in a while that's not too bad. All of the beef and pork variants I've tried so far have made me very very sad.

Beyond Italian sausage on pizza was pretty good. It was crumbled, chewier than meat, but tasted the same. Tried some nuggets, they were passable, but bland. Better than my attempt with Tofu though, but that failed when I chose Medium Firm in my ignorance. It was a multi-fail though, will try again.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Beyond Italian sausage on pizza was pretty good. It was crumbled, chewier than meat, but tasted the same. Tried some nuggets, they were passable, but bland. Better than my attempt with Tofu though, but that failed when I chose Medium Firm in my ignorance. It was a multi-fail though, will try again.
I'm getting pretty good at prepping tofu. My neighbor is from Laos and he showed me some techniques they use for making spring rolls, dumplings, and other things. Always go with extra firm tofu, and then wrap it in a towel and press it with a heavy can overnight in the fridge. After that you can stir fry it exactly the same way you would chicken.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
It's not a bad substitute, but lardon are not smoked, and I want to make the authentic recipe..
To be honest, bacon is en vogue in French and English cooking right now after getting inspiration from upcoming American chefs and food culture. If you do want to get rid of the smoky flavor you can blanch the cubed bacon for a couple of minutes, then allow it to dry.