McCain's Spiritual Advisor is a Whackadoodle Too.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: shrumpage
Originally posted by: sandorski

Is it America hating to say America has been judged?

Or to curse America by saying God damn American?

"God damn America" was not a "curse". It was essentially the same as saying, "America has been Judged."

No. Saying God damn something is cursing.

hehe now I think you're being pig headed with that remark.

"God damn America" can be both a curse or it can be describing the action of God "damning America"...which if you listened to or read the sermon you would understand that is how Rev Wright used the term.

do we need to go back to 2nd grade english class?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
OrByte, how do you think the average American is going to react to what I posted?

Are they going to take the time to read your long explanation or are they going to have a knee jerk reaction?

I am sure it will be the knee jerk reaction because more American don't view ourselves as living in a 'white supremacist' world. Most of us would like to think of ourselves as being color blind.

Finally, elections aren't fair. People will read what I posted and watch the 'god damn America' bit and decide that they just don't feel comfortable voting for Obama. They will ignore everything that Obama stands for and what his views on where America should go in the future and instead vote on that gut feeling.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
OrByte, how do you think the average American is going to react to what I posted?

Are they going to take the time to read your long explanation or are they going to have a knee jerk reaction?

I am sure it will be the knee jerk reaction because more American don't view ourselves as living in a 'white supremacist' world. Most of us would like to think of ourselves as being color blind.

Finally, elections aren't fair. People will read what I posted and watch the 'god damn America' bit and decide that they just don't feel comfortable voting for Obama. They will ignore everything that Obama stands for and what his views on where America should go in the future and instead vote on that gut feeling.
average america is going to have the same knee jerk reaction as you did and I did! I won't give the average american enough credit to read the newsletter...sad but true.

I am not arguing that reality.

But, I give Obama great credit for having sat in the pews for 20 years and listened to such messages. It is ultimately a message of understanding and of hope that they can pass along to children the realities that shaped this country and the message from God that we should CONTINUE to work toward unity. I dare you to read the whole newsletter.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
ummm your guess was wrong

Ummm....Your guess was wrong also.

You see, when Wright took over the helm at Trinity, they had a membership of 87 people. Today, the membership is ~8,000. That type of growth does not take place overnight. In fact, it took 36 years.

You are plucking out unnameable sources, right wing blog quotes and other very biased information in claiming that Oprah's and Obama's reasons for joining the church was purely to be seen with up and comers and not to be part of the spiritual message and path towards Jesus.

Unless of course you can provide evidence from the one of the two persons that could confirm that that is the true reason. Of course you won't be able to because Oprah has never said a word on the subject of why she joined or why she left and Obama has already expressed the polar opposite of what you are saying.

Now, unless you would like to provide quotes of Oprah specifically stating that your "guess" is actually accurate, keep spouting the talking points as fact but make sure that you label them as such also.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I think we have heard the worst from Rev Wright.

Unless some day soon we get a message from him saying, "go forward and hate whitey my militant negroes!"

We have seen people twist his words to mean something that it doesnt. PJs newsletter is direct proof.

The referenced pdf that both PJ and myself linked is proof that if you read what the man says..you will understand his message isn't to go out and hate whitey. His message is to rise above the crap that this country has thrown at the minorities and seek unity.

time and time again it is proven that his message is a message of peace, unity, and love just read! you will see!!

His words are bitter! I admit that much. This is a man that harbors frustration and anger..for whatever reason..I am not a psychologist. maybe he is angry at the white establishment, maybe he is angry at his own race's lethargy and defeatism maybe all of the above or none. But he doesn't preach hate.

Preaching hate is really simple. Any dumbfvck can go out and burn a cross on someone's lawn. You hate someone because of the color of the skin or their religion or what have you...and thats it.

Rev Wrights preaching is not simple. It opens wounds, it fans the flames ( I would even argue that it fans the flames in the wrong manner) his message calls people to the table, and calls people on the bullsh!t. How else do you describe a message that states that integration is not assimilation! Is he wrong??? I tell you what...it is worth arguing.

As for those other priests that do have a message of bigotry or of predjudice (all gays will go to hell etc etc etc) I think those pastors have a problem. God's love is for everyone including the gays and I have a problem with pastors saying otherwise.

I haven't met a creature that god doesn't love, well maybe mosquitos. I swear mosquitos are the debbils evil spawn!

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: Corbett
I think the bigger problem is the fact that liberals see Christians say things like "wage war" and "eradicate false religions" and actually think they are referring to violence. Parsley makes no mention of "genocide" or even "killing". It shows just how little libarals actually know about these types of discussions that Christians like Parsley bring up.
Jesus wouldn't recognize the religion you follow.

What religion is that? And how would you know anyways?

And if you think I somehow march to the drumbeat of people like Parsley and Hagee, you just show how wrong you are about me.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: BMW540I6speed
Evangelical Christians believe that one day soon Jesus will return to earth, pull a gleaming, silver sword out of his throat and proceed to slaughter approximately 2.5 billion people who are contrary to the Evangelical faith, ya know all the 'liburals". That's the amount of blood it would take to fill the Jezreel Valley to a depth of 4 1/2 feet deep and create a 200 mile river of blood.

If you think we all believe Jesus is going to kill anyone, you just show how little you actually know of the subject. Not to mention the fact you actually believe we somehow look forward to the day those who do not believe will face the consequences of their decisions.

Those who would be saved amount to approximately a few hundred thousand good "conservitive Republicans". The heathens lucky enough to avoid immediate slaughter a lake of everlasting fire after being judged by Jesus perched upon a silver throne while interviewing those of questionable character, you know who they are...those dirty "liburals".

Nobody said anything about Republican or Democrat. But you can choose to believe that if you want to. Romans 10:9-10 is all you need. Doesnt matter who you are.

Evangelicals do not specify if Jesus uses a devine checklist or handles each case indivually. There is no mention of how pre-judgement people are handled who die of old age while waiting in line for Jesus to interview them. Unless they are on the "libural" checklist.

Again, completely wrong. You are taking my quote and twisting it to fit your warped view of Christians. My whole point of talking about liberals in my original quote was to point out how little those who want to claim that when Parsley says something like he said, they automatically jump to the conclusion that he is calling for Christians to somehow hurt or kill Muslims, which he is not. This can also can be applied to your believe Jesus is going to kill non believers.

In fact, they are excited for the rapture to happen and pray for the day they sit in their white, silk robes cheering Jesus as he inflicts everlasting pain upon all the "liburals". Assuming that many of the victims of this genocide are American citizens, you know, all the "liburals", there is no question that evangelicals support the use of weapons of mass destruction being used against their fellow countrymen.

Again, you are just showing how anti-Christian you really are. Go sit down with a pastor of any local "evengelical" church and run those ideas by him. See what he has to say. I doubt you'd be so illogical without the cover of anonymity you have here.

This is a radical personality change from the Jesus we know from the Bible. Why exactly Jesus turns into a blood-thristy psychopath is gotta be because of the "liburals"

Again, feel free to post proof of any of this.

People like Robertson, Hagee and those who blindly follow and enable them. To these people, "liburals", Democrats, progressives, etc. are, quite simply, not American. To be an American is to hold certain ideas, you know, the "conservitive Republican America hating preacher" idea's, even those not formally articulated.

Therefore, Katrina, 9-11, etc. are punishments brought on by "others" who are in league with the Anti-Christ, you know, the "liburals". While true "Americans" and keepers of the light, such as the conservitive Republican America hating follower themselves, selflessly attempt to hold evil at bay with their America hating prayers, screeds, and what not. So the true Americans are the rapture bound twenty percent crowd who are innocent while the rest of us "liburals" get what we deserve...

And if you believe I somehow think God was punished America with 9/11 or Katrina, you have another thing coming. I don't believe God punished anyone. We live in the age of Grace.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
I think the bigger problem is the fact that liberals see Christians say things like "wage war" and "eradicate false religions" and actually think they are referring to violence. Parsley makes no mention of "genocide" or even "killing". It shows just how little libarals actually know about these types of discussions that Christians like Parsley bring up.

Aren't you the one of the same people that saw Ahmadinejad's remark's about "wipe Israel off the face of the map" and automatically assumed that he meant via violence?

Ahmadinajad made no mention of "genocide" or even "killing". It just shows how little conservatives actually know about these types of discussions that non-Zionists like Ahmadinajad bring up.

Feel free to quote me on that.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
I don't mind saying it... Islam IS a problem that the world is facing.

I'm sinply advocating vigilance...

Several European countries, such as England and France, are facing the very real future where over 50% of population and voting population will be Muslim... what will happen to the freedoms of the minorities in that scenario?

Based upon looking other Muslim dominated countries of today... non-Muslim's in England and France will lose a lot of their freedoms over time.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

And if you think I somehow march to the drumbeat of people like Parsley and Hagee, you just show how wrong you are about me.

I'm waiting...

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

I'm waiting...
Waiting for what, the Rapture?

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
How come when the democrats take over the house and the senate that is considered a concensus, but if the President narrowly wins it is not a concensus? Sounds like bullshit to me.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005

I'm waiting...

Well...it obviously coming before a decent reply from you.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
what was that line said to some arab leader in like the west wing or something... "I could shoot you in the middle of times square and the american people would elect me in a landslide"?

Is that what some Taiwanese politician pulled to win the election?

That guy has a point though, there would be almost world peace if there was no Islam.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Lemon law
It is interesting to watch the so called religious right. GWB was somewhat determined not repeat his daddy's mistake and actively courted the religious right. Quite a feat for a man who lead a very amoral life before finding Laura and God. But evidently God can forgive all.

And while GWB&co. has not really done anything to change abortion laws, he has thrown quite a few bones their way. (1) GWB has given unprecedented public funding to faith based social programs. (2) GWB has appointed the right sorts of judges to the supreme court, and now, for the first time, the court may over turn Roe v. Wade.

Other than the one slip up of Harriet Miers, the conservative base and the religious right have made no real complaints of GWB.

But the McCain and religious right shotgun wedding will be an interesting match up. As most of the other GOP candidates actively pandered to the religious right, McCain had to be somewhat of a last choice with even Giuliani picking up some high profile endorsements. And Mitt Romney doing everything humanly possible to reinvent himself to appeal to the religious right. Only to see the genuine article in Mike Huckabee get those votes that all the Romney money in the world could not buy. And were it not for Huckabee neutralizing Romney, I think the GOP contest might still be going.

However, the cookie crumbled differently an the religious right is now stuck with McCain.

And we can get to the thesis of this post, NAMELY, WHAT MUST McCAIN DO PUBLICALLY AND PRIVATELY TO GET THE RELIGIOUS RIGHT TO VOTE FOR HIM IN LARGE NUMBERS COME NOVEMBER? And the other implied question, NAMELY WHAT CAN OBAMA DO TO EXPLOIT THE McCAIN PANDERING?

With a likely democratically dominated congress resulting from the election of 11/08, I am guessing that many of the publically funded faith based programs will be rolled back, its going to be very hard to get judges who have anti abortion leanings through the confirmation process, and I think Obama will be able to demonstrate a better command of the scriptures than McCain as the debates progress. That and the fact that many of the religious right voting base has been greatly injured by the economic policies of the past eight years, all lead me to the opinion that McCain will be unable to rally the religious right in large numbers to his side.

And taking the premise of this thread, namely that many of the must have figures McCain needs are whacadoodle, still leaves McCain walking a very fine line with an exploitable damned if he does and damned if he does not.

You are never going to find a political candidate that you agree with 100% on every issue. Its just not going to happen.

That leaves you with a couple of options:

Go with the person you agree with most (60%-80%)of the time.

Go with the candidate that you agree with one particular hot-button issue

"OH KNOWS, MC CAIN NOT 100% RELIGIOUS RIGHT1!!!!" So what? If he is the candidate that agrees with more with then the other guy - then you go with McCain. Its not rocket science.

From a cadidate prospective - you GROW YOUR BASE. You have a large group of people, that you don't see eye-to-eye on everything, but still agree on stuff. You go after them.

You don't win elections by alienating swaths of people because you don't line up 100%.

Or you throw your vote away by voting for Nader/Paul and effectively vote for the other side

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001

I'm waiting...

Well...it obviously coming before a decent reply from you.

So when you're disappeared, for lack of a better word, can I have all your stuff? :D