McCain Voters

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
I mean how do you get something wrong as simple as civil rights?

I mean MLK did wonders for the nation and he voted no to his day becoming a national holiday.

Forget the Obama drama I want to hear how can you justify voting for a man who does not support civil rights.

Folks let me reword because perhaps saying not supporting civil rights is far. However how can you not acknowledge what MLK stood for and did? I waiting for a good explanation for this besides calling me names.

?????

:confused:

---------------------------------------------
This issue has already been posted and discussed
Sound bites and snippets have been used to distort the facts.

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
I'm hardly a big McCain fan, but I fail to see how voting no to an additional national holiday equates to "not supporting civil rights".

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Nobody should vote for anyone who calls for less holidays. :p

Seriously though, voting no to MLK Day isn't akin to not supporting civil rights. Also, from the mouth of the candidate himself:

Q: In 1983 you voted against the federal holiday for Martin Luther King. You voted in 1990 against civil rights legislation. Isn't it going to be hard to reach out to minority groups given your history and the history of the party?

A: Well, let me say in 1983 I was wrong, and I believe that my advocacy for the recognition of Dr. King's birthday in Arizona was something that I'm proud of. The issue in the early '90s was a little more complicated. I've never believed in quotas, and I don't. There's no doubt about my view on that issue. And that was the implication, at least, of that other vote. But I was wrong in '83, and all of us make mistakes, and I think nobody recognized that more than Dr. King.

Further thoughts on MLK pulled from his book:

Better to suffer for a good cause than live safely without one. Dr. King's cause was the dignity of his race and the full realization of America's founding values. He is, rightly, held up as an exemplar of moral courage. He was a believer in nonviolence who had courage of conscience, the courage to resist repression, to live his moral code. He was murdered for his willingness to act on his beliefs, a fate many of his admirers believe he anticipated and must have feared. Yet fear did not restrain him.

Source: John McCain on Civil Rights

Jun 26, 2007
So you jump from not voting for a national holiday for one man who meant a lot for the US (and yes, the US as a whole as i understand it) to him not supporting civil rights?

That is just fucking stupid.

woodie1

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2000
Originally posted by: MrChad
I'm hardly a big McCain fan, but I fail to see how voting no to an additional national holiday equates to "not supporting civil rights".

+1

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not a McCain fan here either but IMO this is a non-issue. If he still felt that way today it would be worth talking about but as I understand it he doesn't.

Darkstar757

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2003
Originally posted by: Robor
Not a McCain fan here either but IMO this is a non-issue. If he still felt that way today it would be worth talking about but as I understand it he doesn't.

The problem with this is that he was wrong then and prob just as prone to huge mistakes now.

I mean MLK day was like a no brainer. I wasnt like the mapping of a major invasion.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Darkstar757
Originally posted by: Robor

The problem with this is that he was wrong then and prob just as prone to huge mistakes now.

I mean MLK day was like a no brainer. I wasnt like the mapping of a major invasion.

I would counter that by saying people get more wise as they age and learn from their mistakes. :)

Edit: There's plenty of reasons to dislike McCain as a candidate but IMO this isn't one of them. Economy. 180 from McCain 2000. Proximity to GWB policies. Age. Palin. Iraq. On and on...

NeoV

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2000
So any vote from a candidate's past can be written off as long as he/she admits it was a mistake? Interesting take on things.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: NeoV
So any vote from a candidate's past can be written off as long as he/she admits it was a mistake? Interesting take on things.

people are allowed to change their mind and their views, especially over the course of 20+ years.

20 years ago, I didn't know how to read -- should that be held against me now, even though I can today?

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Many people want to hold to the fiction that MLK was a rabble rouser and that civil rights would have been granted in good time without any protests, etc.
Of course, we would still be waiting.....

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Darkstar757
I mean how do you get something wrong as simple as civil rights?

I mean MLK did wonders for the nation and he voted no to his day becoming a national holiday.

Forget the Obama drama I want to hear how can you justify voting for a man who does not support civil rights.

Folks let me reword because perhaps saying not supporting civil rights is far. However how can you not acknowledge what MLK stood for and did? I waiting for a good explanation for this besides calling me names.

?????

:confused:

I acknowledge that MLK was instrumental to the civil rights movement.

I'm voting for McCain. Civil Rights were attained. They're not going to be repealed.