McCain volunteer attacked and mutilated in Pittsburgh

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Originally posted by: Fern
Yup, some type of mentally troubled woman. I wouldn't be suprised if she all the publicity *Joe the Plumber* was getting and wanted her own 15 mintues of fame.

We've seen numerous events where nooses and/or racial graffiti were reported to the police only to have been done by the supposed vicitm for attention or other purposes (Duke rape anyone?), I don't see how anyone can find this occurance all that surprising.

Yeah I saw Fox news report onoit last (Brit Hume's show), contrary tomay here, it was a brief mention and so reserved that I that the time it seemed they suspected it was faked. So no, they didn't *run with it* etc.

Fern

I watched the Fox daytime shows and they did run with it.

The McCain campaign arraigned for a call to Todd so the GOP ran with it.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: sportage
The more I see the more I believe both this and Joe the plumber were GOP plants.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/
Why the hell would the GOP plant someone like her???

Same with Joe the Plumber, what are the chances of Obama walking down the street and asking the random guy who just happens to be a GOP plant??

Are you really stupid enough to believe either of these people were plants?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
BTW - Fox News now is giving little or no attention to the fake race baiting story

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
The more I see the more I believe both this and Joe the plumber were GOP plants.

Same with Joe the Plumber, what are the chances of Obama walking down the street and asking the random guy who just happens to be a GOP plant??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Once again, ole Non Prof John misses the point, as soon as some lightweight idiot has
their 15 minutes of fame, the GOP falls all over itself in an effort to embrace and elevate an idiot. And ends up looking like open mouth insert foot fools.

Don't blame the democrats for this unfortunate GOP habit, the GOP did all by their little lonesome.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002

Don't you love ProfJohn's display of outrage? It takes cajones to come into a thread where your ilk have been thoroughly owned and caught race-baiting and to still pretend to be outraged. That, or he really just doesn't get it.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: dphantom
Appears as others indicate this is nothing but a hoax. Another example of the lack of journalistic integrity. Rush to get the story out then check facts.

Really makes one wonder how in the world we can get accurate information to make decisions such as who to vote and what to think of the financial bailout as just two recent/upcoming examples.

Way too funny...you thought you had one hot story......hahahahaaaaaa
Now you blame this one the press.......
Just admit you have egg on your face!!!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Infohawk

Don't you love ProfJohn's display of outrage? It takes cajones to come into a thread where your ilk have been thoroughly owned and caught race-baiting and to still pretend to be outraged. That, or he really just doesn't get it.
My ilk?? If you look back at the thread you won't find any comments by me about this situation.

I think the girl is an idiot. And I think anyone who believes that the GOP would set something like this up is a bigger idiot.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
I think the girl is an idiot. And I think anyone who believes that the GOP would set something like this up is a bigger idiot.

Do you really think that someone who thinks the GOP plays dirty political tricks is a bigger idiot than someone who cuts her own face and lies to authorities?

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I'm gonna carve a backwards A in my face. Oh wait...

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

My ilk?? If you look back at the thread you won't find any comments by me about this situation.

"Your ilk" means people who post like you; not you personally.

Up until now you hadn't posted anything about this event that was really very stupid.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Crazy, I know... but I gotta agree with Pro-Jo here. There's no way the GOP would be stupid enough to do something like this. It was a dumb girl who got caught up in the campaign and did something stupid. I'm sure she never thought it would get this much attention.

The McCain campaign saw something they thought they could use, and foolishly released some statements about this before all the facts came out, but that just makes them a crappy campaign, not complicit in this.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Balt
I'll give AT P&N some credit, most people here were pretty skeptical. If you check some other messageboards people were ready to assemble a lynch mob to go after this fictitious attacker.

As much stupidity and hoo-haw as you can find here if you look, I'm pretty damn proud of P&N!

All one has to do is spend some time on some other political forums to see that, by and large, we are a clear cut above. :thumbsup:

Dr. Zaus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2008
Originally posted by: Perknose
Originally posted by: Balt
I'll give AT P&N some credit, most people here were pretty skeptical. If you check some other messageboards people were ready to assemble a lynch mob to go after this fictitious attacker.

As much stupidity and hoo-haw as you can find here if you look, I'm pretty damn proud of P&N!

All one has to do is spend some time on some other political forums to see that, by and large, we are a clear cut above. :thumbsup:

When the general topic of the hosting page requires that we be at least one standard deviation to the right of the median... well Yes, i would expect people with critical thinking skills.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
Yup, some type of mentally troubled woman

No? She is a prime example how the issue of race can be stirred up, then grossly perverted. In the old south, these type of claims usually led to lynching?s. A lot of lynching?s of black men.
But the most shocking part of this all is just how the Mccain campaign has brought back, and stirred up racial hatred America. Or should I say re awaken it.
You have Rush Limbaugh calling Powell's endorsement of Obama simply race generated.
You have Palin accusing Obama of connections with terrorist.
You have Mccain standing by Palin's comments, while adding Obama is not ?one of us?.
And you have a whole slew of Mccain staff pumping out racial solid waste every day in print and on the air.

I always knew our country as a whole still suffered from underlining racial hatred, but Mccain's campaign should not be tolerated....period.
This is totally unacceptable. Mccain deserves not one vote. Not one single vote.
Not from an American, at least?
If he had any balls, he?d crawl away in shame with his head between his legs.
Along with Rush Limbaugh and all the rest of these very sick people.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
Yup, some type of mentally troubled woman

No? She is a prime example how the issue of race can be stirred up, then grossly perverted. In the old south, these type of claims usually led to lynching?s. A lot of lynching?s of black men.
But the most shocking part of this all is just how the Mccain campaign has brought back, and stirred up racial hatred America. Or should I say re awaken it.
You have Rush Limbaugh calling Powell's endorsement of Obama simply race generated.
You have Palin accusing Obama of connections with terrorist.
You have Mccain standing by Palin's comments, while adding Obama is not ?one of us?.
And you have a whole slew of Mccain staff pumping out racial solid waste every day in print and on the air.

I always knew our country as a whole still suffered from underlining racial hatred, but Mccain's campaign should not be tolerated....period.
This is totally unacceptable. Mccain deserves not one vote. Not one single vote.
Not from an American, at least?
If he had any balls, he?d crawl away in shame with his head between his legs.
Along with Rush Limbaugh and all the rest of these very sick people.

yes, yes because the democrats NEVER, EVER in a million years inject race into the election....NEVER......oh wait:

Obama ""doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills.""

Howard Dean referred to the GOP as the "white party"...no black are republicans?...ok.

Alcee Hastings(F) warned two minority groups to beware of Sarah Palin because ?anybody toting guns and stripping moose don?t care too much about what they do with Jews and blacks.?

Barney Frank stated that Republican criticism of Democrats over the nation's housing crisis is a veiled attack on the poor that's racially motivated.

and those are just four instances...I am sure if I Google it I can find more.

Are there racist in the GOP?...sure as hell there are, but there are just as many that call themselves Democrats.

Unfortunately your jaded political view obscures your ability to see that there are those that call themselves liberals who are just as willing to don the white robes of racism in this country.

pull your head out of your ass, racism knows no political affiliation nor does it know color.

a black man can be just as racist against whites as a white man against blacks, or a Hispanic racist against blacks.

it's not a "white" exclusive club.

Hell, white men abolished slavery in this country over 200 years ago and guess what....it still exists in Africa....black on black slavery...who'da thunk it?

More money has gone from this "white" government to Africa in the form of aid than from anywhere else on the face of the planet...especially with a GOP president and congress....but your right......all republicans and ONLY white republicans are racist.

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007

Both.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
look, at lot of rightwingers were ready to go with how bad the obama supporters are and how this is a poor reflection on obama... now that this turns out to be a hoax, it changed to a lone nut who needs help.... you can't have it both ways.

the story went mainstream because drudge report plastered it front and center using word like 'mutilated' to rile up people, and it snowballed.

kudos to some conservatives who didn't bite from the very beginning.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Crazy, I know... but I gotta agree with Pro-Jo here. There's no way the GOP would be stupid enough to do something like this. It was a dumb girl who got caught up in the campaign and did something stupid. I'm sure she never thought it would get this much attention.

The McCain campaign saw something they thought they could use, and foolishly released some statements about this before all the facts came out, but that just makes them a crappy campaign, not complicit in this.

Agree. No matter how stupid this stunt was you can't blame the GOP party for the idiocy of this woman. Who knows what was going through her mind when she concocted this 'plan' but this definitely wasn't the outcome she expected. She'll likely get a slap on the wrist but her punishment by society will be far more severe than what she gets from law enforcement. Well, unless there's a market for stupid race-baiting mentally unbalanced attention whores. Wait a minute... She could fill in for Hannity or Rush!

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Robor

Agree. No matter how stupid this stunt was you can't blame the GOP party for the idiocy of this woman. Who knows what was going through her mind when she concocted this 'plan' but this definitely wasn't the outcome she expected. She'll likely get a slap on the wrist but her punishment by society will be far more severe than what she gets from law enforcement. Well, unless there's a market for stupid race-baiting mentally unbalanced attention whores. Wait a minute... She could fill in for Hannity or Rush!

She was an official McCain functionary at the time of the incident. The original publicity came from the McCain campaign, not from the police (original stories specifically said the police could not confirm the allegations). Both McCain and Palin gave her very public sympathy calls. Yes, she is a wack job but yes the GOP is responsible-if not for concocting the scheme then in promoting the heck out of it.

At this point I do feel sorry for her though. Watching her being perp walked in handcuffs through a throng of cameramen over and over again on TV (reminding me of the media circus perp walk when Jack Ruby killed Lee Harvey Oswald) and then finding out she has spent at least one night in jail unable to raise bail may deter other nutjobs, but I'm betting it's pushing her fragile mental state to the breaking edge.

JJChicken

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2007
Originally posted by: heyheybooboo

Both.

Ehh, I don't think Prof said anything wrong in this instance, although I disagree with him on most things.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: Thump553
Originally posted by: Robor

She was an official McCain functionary at the time of the incident. The original publicity came from the McCain campaign, not from the police (original stories specifically said the police could not confirm the allegations). Both McCain and Palin gave her very public sympathy calls. Yes, she is a wack job but yes the GOP is responsible-if not for concocting the scheme then in promoting the heck out of it.

At this point I do feel sorry for her though. Watching her being perp walked in handcuffs through a throng of cameramen over and over again on TV (reminding me of the media circus perp walk when Jack Ruby killed Lee Harvey Oswald) and then finding out she has spent at least one night in jail unable to raise bail may deter other nutjobs, but I'm betting it's pushing her fragile mental state to the breaking edge.

Definitely, that's what I meant with the second part of my post, the McCain campaign crapped its pants when it made too big a deal out of this, etc. They didn't put her up to doing it though, I find that extremely hard to believe.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Did the GOP help commit the original crime no.

Did the GOP aide and abet...you betcha!