McCain tries to calm angry crowd.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
HE didnt try awefuly hard, but at least he did try. If he were to keep going with the negative attacks, he could easily whip these right wing religinazi's into a violent ferver. MAny poeple are starting to worry about that with the clear anger/frustration level they are feeling at losing power. But I at least respect McCain for trying.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/...spectful_of_Obama.html

Now is not the time to be divided, we have to work and live together after this election. We have a long uphill climb to get out of this hole.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
The true ugliness of the current Republican "base" rears its cretinous head.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
He needs that anger. Putting on a "let's be nice" show when national tv cameras are rolling doesn't mean a damn thing.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: retrospooty

HE didnt try awefuly hard, but at least he did try.

He didn't try, at all. He's just trying to construce some bogus cover for himself as the figurehead while his lipstick dipstick and his Faux hatchet crew continue the same smear campaign.

If that frenetic lying POS had even a microgram of his alleged integrity left, he would never have hired the same team that smeared him in 2000 to do their same dirty work for him. :thumbsdown: :|

John McCain couldn't keep his Double Talk Express on track if it had training wheels.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Definitely glad he did that, shows (maybe) there's an ounce of decency in him.

YA, its getting dangerous... Spreading all the false inuendo's about terrorist ties and building every little thing into a major characher flaws is really whipping the right base into a frenzy. MCCain and Palin REALLY need to cool the jets on this one. They are causing more damage than they are aware of. Dividing us even further.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
I just saw a response from Obama...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27114059/

"Speaking to an outdoor audience, Obama said "it's not hard to rile up a crowd by stoking anger and division." He said Americans want "someone who can lead this country" with a steady hand in a time of economic crisis, not divide it.

Echoing McCain's "country first" motto, Obama said, "Now more than ever it is time to put country ahead of politics." "

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
It's funny, I know plenty of Republicans who are pretty reasonable people...but they don't seem to be the "core" of the Republican party. For all the Republican attempts to make it seem like Democratic candidates are "far left", those kind of extremist charges seem way more accurate when applied to Republicans.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Also, Norm Coleman in Minnesota announced he was pulling his negative t.v. ads.
It seems the Republicans have noticed their smear tactics aren't working.
I would have respected McCain if he hadn't first provoked people with his attack ads and Palins disgusting comments.
So before anyone starts crediting McCain, lets remember he started it, and is only stopping it because it isn't working.

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007
Extreme social conservatism breeds this kind of malcontent. A refusal to accept that other peoples beliefs do not match your own, and if they do, they are "evil" is a breeding ground for resentment.

That's why I am so afraid by the large religious tone in the GOP, I am actually more fiscally conservative then most dems on most issues (except healthcare), but these people scare the shit out of me.

It's something fools do, when presented proof of how their beliefs aren't true, they retreat behind their veil of ignorance. Kudos to McCain for trying to stop it, maybe the guy I once respected will return on November 5th.

LostPassword

Dec 2, 2007
the scary thing is i know people just like that in those youtube video. when they're not talking about politics they're completely normal, but mention politics and you start hearing some weird stuff.
One dude i know is voting for palin, hoping McCain will expire in office.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
He opened up the Pandora's Box, now he gets to reap the "rewards". The people he and his VP have whipped into a frenzy will turn on him too if he tries to calm them down. They have to feed their need to hate somehow, even if it's by eating their own.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
The video on CBS was impressive because it let you hear the crowd and their reaction. The NBC version was heavily edited and gave a different feel, the audience was unheard.

Republicans that are scared of Obama need to get a grip. Try to imagine John McCain being sent to the Hanoi Hilton and thinking to himself that he just couldn't survive a POW camp- he'd be dead now.

ZOOYUKA

Platinum Member
Jan 24, 2005
Here is right winger from that crowd that the liberal media doesn't want the American public to see.

link

AllWhacked

Nov 1, 2006
Originally posted by: techs
I would have respected McCain if he hadn't first provoked people with his attack ads and Palins disgusting comments.
So before anyone starts crediting McCain, lets remember he started it, and is only stopping it because it isn't working.

Actually, if you follow conservative circles, many within his base are angry that he hasn't done enough. It's only recent news, because the media is now reporting it. From within the base, they are angry that McCain doesn't seem to want to win this election. They are angry because:

1) He doesn't mention the fact that the Dems blocked attempts to regulate Fannie/Freddie and that part of this sub-prime mortage mess is the fact that the CRA allowed for sub-prime lending and enforced it by punishing banks that did not lend to uncredit worthy borrowers. This is especially poignant when you got jerks like Pelosi saying that the Dems have no blood on their hands, when the facts are we got jerks like Barney Franks and Dodd and other key Democrats saying crap that there was nothing wrong with Fannie/Freddie.
2) Until recently, McCain's wasn't mentioning his pass associations (eg. Ayers and Wright). As said by the campaign and mentioned in a blog I read, Hillary brought these issues up and the media seemed to ignore it rather than look further.
3) Voter fraud in ACORN. If you follow the story, there is overwhelming evidence that ACORN is trying to steal the election.
4) The unfair treatment of Palin by the media in the opening days after she was selected. You got reporters going after her kids, reporting stuff that turned out to be false like she was part of some independence party (only her husband was), reporting about her husband's DUI (from 22 years ago, around the time Obama admits to doing hard drugs), reporting about the rumor that Trig was really her daughter's baby, etc.

Keep in mind, that there is the perception that the media is in the tank for Obama and for good reason--just look at Chris Mathews and Olbermann.

In any case, this anger has been around for a while. If you read conservative blogs and read user comments, you can see posts after posts how they feel McCain isn't getting serious about going after Obama. This translates to anger over Obama and their outward expression towards McCain, because they feel he doesn't get it.

So for those who criticize McCain, you should take that into consideration--this is the hand that McCain has been dealt with. If you look at the debates, he kept trying to run as a bi-partisan moderate. As I watched the debate, I kept thinking to myself--go on the attack, attack them on the Fannie/Freddie thing. So just imagine what must be going on in the minds of other more "conservative" republicans and you can see where I'm going.

retrospooty

Platinum Member
Apr 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Carmen813
Extreme social conservatism breeds this kind of malcontent. A refusal to accept that other peoples beliefs do not match your own, and if they do, they are "evil" is a breeding ground for resentment. .

Thats a very good point. That is what is scary about most "fundies" they just cant accept others and really hate the fact that others think differently.

Its hard to believe that you hear "kill obama" in republican rallies. Sad, what they have come to.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: AllWhacked
Originally posted by: techs

Actually, if you follow conservative circles, many within his base are angry that he hasn't done enough. It's only recent news, because the media is now reporting it. From within the base, they are angry that McCain doesn't seem to want to win this election. They are angry because:

1) He doesn't mention the fact that the Dems blocked attempts to regulate Fannie/Freddie and that part of this sub-prime mortage mess is the fact that the CRA allowed for sub-prime lending and enforced it by punishing banks that did not lend to uncredit worthy borrowers. This is especially poignant when you got jerks like Pelosi saying that the Dems have no blood on their hands, when the facts are we got jerks like Barney Franks and Dodd and other key Democrats saying crap that there was nothing wrong with Fannie/Freddie.
2) Until recently, McCain's wasn't mentioning his pass associations (eg. Ayers and Wright). As said by the campaign and mentioned in a blog I read, Hillary brought these issues up and the media seemed to ignore it rather than look further.
3) Voter fraud in ACORN. If you follow the story, there is overwhelming evidence that ACORN is trying to steal the election.
4) The unfair treatment of Palin by the media in the opening days after she was selected. You got reporters going after her kids, reporting stuff that turned out to be false like she was part of some independence party (only her husband was), reporting about her husband's DUI (from 22 years ago, around the time Obama admits to doing hard drugs), reporting about the rumor that Trig was really her daughter's baby, etc.

Keep in mind, that there is the perception that the media is in the tank for Obama and for good reason--just look at Chris Mathews and Olbermann.

In any case, this anger has been around for a while. If you read conservative blogs and read user comments, you can see posts after posts how they feel McCain isn't getting serious about going after Obama. This translates to anger over Obama and their outward expression towards McCain, because they feel he doesn't get it.

So for those who criticize McCain, you should take that into consideration--this is the hand that McCain has been dealt with. If you look at the debates, he kept trying to run as a bi-partisan moderate. As I watched the debate, I kept thinking to myself--go on the attack, attack them on the Fannie/Freddie thing. So just imagine what must be going on in the minds of other more "conservative" republicans and you can see where I'm going.

Fair enough, but that only supports the original point of this thread all the more...McCain isn't the problem so much as it's his incredibly angry supporters. And you're not angry for any legitimate reason, your points are incredibly biased propaganda, not the no-brainer, reasonable approach that McCain would be crazy not to take. You people have been egging him on since he lost in 2000, which is why the McCain of today looks very little like the McCain of 8 years ago. He isn't trying to play the bi-partisan, reasonable guy, that's what he really is. The part his playing is the guy he thinks you people want, which is not that great from my point of view.

DanceMan

Jan 26, 2001
Originally posted by: ZOOYUKA
Here is right winger from that crowd that the liberal media doesn't want the American public to see.

link

Yeah, if we can just keep those damn conservative talk show hosts from impersonating McCain supporters, maybe the 'libruah' media would take you guys more seriously.

Oh, in case you miss the relevant details:

Newsradio 620 WTMJ Talk Show Host James T. Harris, attending the event as a spectator, begged McCain to get tougher with Obama in their final debate.

ZOOYUKA

Platinum Member
Jan 24, 2005
Originally posted by: DanceMan

link

Yeah, if we can just keep those damn conservative talk show hosts from impersonating McCain supporters, maybe the 'libruah' media would take you guys more seriously.

Oh, in case you miss the relevant details:

Newsradio 620 WTMJ Talk Show Host James T. Harris, attending the event as a spectator, begged McCain to get tougher with Obama in their final debate.

AM radio hosts can't be specators?

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008

link

Please, that guy couldn't be any more of a plant.

Hugh H

Jul 11, 2008
On McCain's actions today, I will give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is being sincere. True, he wanted to raise doubts about Obama's character and score cheap political points, but I don't think what ensued afterwards is exactly what he had in mind.

Feb 10, 2000
I wonder whether his conciliatory tone today related to his knowledge about the contents of the troopergate report. It may be that, to his credit, he doesn't want to salt the earth too much for Obama, knowing that he is more than likely to win.