McCain predicts Iraq War will end in 2013

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
lol

How convenient for all this to happen by the end of his first term. While he's at it, why not also predict world peace and the cure for AIDS? Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for the guy. One thing is sure though, he's lost any respect I've had for him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- Sen. John McCain thinks the Iraq War will be won but the threat from the Taliban in Afghanistan won't yet be eliminated, even though Osama bin Laden will be captured or killed, by 2013.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee made both statements in a speech in which he envisions the state of affairs at the end of what would be his first term if he is elected president.

McCain's speech, delivered in Columbus, Ohio, Thursday, also lists objectives he intends to achieve in his first term -- if he is elected president.

"What I want to do today is take a little time to describe what I would hope to have achieved at the end of my first term as president. I cannot guarantee I will have achieved these things," McCain said.

The Arizona senator said he believes the United States will have a smaller military presence in Iraq that will not play a direct combat role, and he predicts that al Qaeda in Iraq will be defeated.

"By January 2013, America has welcomed home most of the servicemen and women who have sacrificed terribly so that America might be secure in her freedom.

"The Iraq War has been won. Iraq is a functioning democracy, although still suffering from the lingering effects of decades of tyranny and centuries of sectarian tension," McCain said.

The violence in Iraq will persist, the candidate believes, but it will be "spasmodic and much reduced." But civil war will be prevented, armed militias will be disbanded, security forces will become "professional and competent" and the government will be able to impose "its authority in every province of Iraq" and properly defend its borders.

McCain also said he also believes the "threat from a resurgent Taliban in Afghanistan will be greatly reduced but not eliminated" and that U.S. and NATO forces will remain in the country "to help finish the job, and continue operations against the remnants of al Qaeda."

Pakistan will work with the United States in deploying counter-insurgency tactics in the al Qaeda-laden tribal regions, the Arizona Republican said.

As for the leader of al Qaeda, McCain believes "the increase in actionable intelligence that the counterinsurgency produced led to the capture or death of Osama bin Laden, and his chief lieutenants."

"There is no longer any place in the world al Qaeda can consider a safe haven," McCain said.

He also believes that in 2013, there still will not have been a "major terrorist attack in the United States since September 11, 2001."

Other milestones McCain hopes to see at the end of what would be his first term are:

Witnessing "a reluctant Russia and China" cooperating in "pressuring Iran to abandon its nuclear ambitions, and North Korea to discontinue its own," because of "concerted action by the great democracies of the world."

Significantly increasing the size of the Army and Marine Corps, which will be "better equipped and trained to defend us."

The application of "stiff diplomatic and economic pressure" by the United States -- acting in concert with a newly formed League of Democracies -- to cause Sudan to agree to a multinational peacekeeping force, with NATO countries providing logistical and air support, to stop the genocide in Darfur.

Several years of robust economic growth for the United States, with Americans again having confidence in their economic future.

Millions of taxpayers filing under a flat tax and saving billions in the cost of preparing their returns.

The world food crisis ending, low inflation, and a "much improved" quality of life "not only in our country, but in some of the most impoverished countries around the world."

More accessible health care for Americans and an easing on the pressure on Medicare due to the reduction in the growth of health care costs.

A United States well on its way to "independence from foreign sources of oil."

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
We've been in Iraq for over five years now. That's longer than it took to topple both Germany and Japan in WW2. Now McDouchebag is saying it's going to take another five? Just how incompetent is our military?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BoberFett
We've been in Iraq for over five years now. That's longer than it took to topple both Germany and Japan in WW2. Now McDouchebag is saying it's going to take another five? Just how incompetent is our military?

Instead of just narrowing it down to "we won!", let's get the full context of what he actually said.

"The Iraq War has been won. Iraq is a functioning democracy, although still suffering from the lingering effects of decades of tyranny and centuries of sectarian tension," McCain said.

The violence in Iraq will persist, the candidate believes, but it will be "spasmodic and much reduced." But civil war will be prevented, armed militias will be disbanded, security forces will become "professional and competent" and the government will be able to impose "its authority in every province of Iraq" and properly defend its borders.

Sounds reasonable.

And yeah, it took us less time to topple Germany and Japan but it took several more years to get functioning governments up and running. And Germany and Japan didn't have the kinds of problems that Iraq does.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Queasy

Instead of just narrowing it down to "we won!", let's get the full context of what he actually said.

Sounds reasonable.

And yeah, it took us less time to topple Germany and Japan but it took several more years to get functioning governments up and running. And Germany and Japan didn't have the kinds of problems that Iraq does.

A functioning government and humanitarian issue was the ONLY problem we had in Japan and Germany after WWII. Those are the least of our problems in Iraq because of SECURITY. And him blathering about civil war is laughable when it's been happening for 5 years now. But all this is just semantics for the 28% that still support Bush and his incompetent leadership.

FuzzyBee

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2000
McCain should've just said "I predict everything will be miserable when my first term is over", right? After all, I'm sure that's the same thing his opponents would say in the same situation.

At least he'd still have *your* respect! :thumbsup:

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: FuzzyBee
McCain should've just said "I predict everything will be miserable when my first term is over", right? After all, I'm sure that's the same thing his opponents would say in the same situation.

At least he'd still have *your* respect! :thumbsup:

Or he could get out of the psychic business and talk about HOW he's going to do those things. It's just me but I have zero respect for people that are all talk. This is the same idiot who said we could've won in Vietnam. That's after he got shot down and became a POW. Instead of accepting the fact that certain people don't like to be ruled over by foreigners and get the fuck out their country, he throws this patriotic garbage about "winning".

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
WW 2 in Europe started in 1939 Germany did not regain full independence until 1949, ten years.

The war in the Pacific took even longer. Started in 1937 and our post war occupation lasted until 1952.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
WW 2 in Europe started in 1939 Germany did not regain full independence until 1949, ten years.

The war in the Pacific took even longer. Started in 1937 and our post war occupation lasted until 1952.

Why are you relating Germany's invasion of Poland to how long it took the US to invade, occupy and rebuild Germany? Oh, and the war in the Pacific started in 1937 according to who!? Are you referring to some Japanese action in China? Again, why would Japan's actions in China have any bearing on how long it took the US to do something?

These are exceptionally dishonest metrics, even from you man. Even comparing the dates of declaration of war by Germany and Japan on the US is not particularly telling as actual large scale hostilities took a long time to happen afterwards due to distance as opposed to Iraq in which they were instantaneous, but at least it's as good a start date to pick as any. To base our war metrics on wars with third parties is just dumb.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Dari
lol

How convenient for all this to happen by the end of his first term. While he's at it, why not also predict world peace and the cure for AIDS? Honestly, I don't know whether to laugh or feel sorry for the guy. One thing is sure though, he's lost any respect I've had for him.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
COLUMBUS, Ohio (CNN) -- Sen. John McCain thinks the Iraq War will be won but the threat from the Taliban in Afghanistan won't yet be eliminated, even though Osama bin Laden will be captured or killed, by 2013.

The presumptive Republican presidential nominee made both statements in a speech in which he envisions the state of affairs at the end of what would be his first term if he is elected president.

McCain's speech, delivered in Columbus, Ohio, Thursday, also lists objectives he intends to achieve in his first term -- if he is elected president.

"What I want to do today is take a little time to describe what I would hope to have achieved at the end of my first term as president. I cannot guarantee I will have achieved these things," McCain said.

The Arizona senator said he believes the United States will have a smaller military presence in Iraq that will not play a direct combat role, and he predicts that al Qaeda in Iraq will be defeated.

"By January 2013, America has welcomed home most of the servicemen and women who have sacrificed terribly so that America might be secure in her freedom.

McCain also said he also believes the "threat from a resurgent Taliban in Afghanistan will be greatly reduced but not eliminated" and that U.S. and NATO forces will remain in the country "to help finish the job, and continue operations against the remnants of al Qaeda."

Pakistan will work with the United States in deploying counter-insurgency tactics in the al Qaeda-laden tribal regions, the Arizona Republican said.

As for the leader of al Qaeda, McCain believes "the increase in actionable intelligence that the counterinsurgency produced led to the capture or death of Osama bin Laden, and his chief lieutenants."

"There is no longer any place in the world al Qaeda can consider a safe haven," McCain said.

He also believes that in 2013, there still will not have been a "major terrorist attack in the United States since September 11, 2001."

Other milestones McCain hopes to see at the end of what would be his first term are:

Witnessing "a reluctant Russia and China" cooperating in "pressuring Iran to abandon its nuclear ambitions, and North Korea to discontinue its own," because of "concerted action by the great democracies of the world."

Significantly increasing the size of the Army and Marine Corps, which will be "better equipped and trained to defend us."

The application of "stiff diplomatic and economic pressure" by the United States -- acting in concert with a newly formed League of Democracies -- to cause Sudan to agree to a multinational peacekeeping force, with NATO countries providing logistical and air support, to stop the genocide in Darfur.

Several years of robust economic growth for the United States, with Americans again having confidence in their economic future.

Millions of taxpayers filing under a flat tax and saving billions in the cost of preparing their returns.

The world food crisis ending, low inflation, and a "much improved" quality of life "not only in our country, but in some of the most impoverished countries around the world."

More accessible health care for Americans and an easing on the pressure on Medicare due to the reduction in the growth of health care costs.

Dude c'mon. If Obama had said this you'd be singing his praises.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I did note Obama has altered his getting out of Iraq plans a bit. Now he is upto 16 months after he takes office which puts him into Summer of 2010.

OrByte

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
I think McCain can now be declared just as guilty as Obama for the "Pie in the Sky" rhetoric.

This speech is nauseating in its generalities.

He might as well declared an end to the "war on drugs" too.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy

Sounds reasonable.

Iraq is not a democracy it is governed under Sharia law with women being relegated to second class citizens by statute as well as defacto thanks to the present US administration.

From the US State Department.

Iraqi Laws and Procedures
The Iraqi Social Status (civil) Law follows the Islamic Sharia (Islamic legislation). Under Islamic law, an Iraqi Muslim female may not marry a non Muslim male. However an Iraqi Muslim male may marry a Muslim, Christian, or Jewish female.

Marriage of a Muslim to a Non-Muslim
Muslim women in Iraq are legally prohibited from marrying a non-Muslim. Therefore, the non-Muslim male must convert his religion to Islam and file a petition with the Social Status Court to declare that he is Muslim. Muslim men in Iraq are permitted to marry non-Muslim women if they are Christian or Jewish only. If the woman belongs to any other religion, she must convert to Islam.

Women in Iraq had more rights under Saddam Hussein than the present state which follows Sharia law as written in their present laws.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
We've been in Iraq for over five years now. That's longer than it took to topple both Germany and Japan in WW2.
It took us more time to topple the Axis powers , and decades to get their societies back to pre-war levels of stability, so your comment is a bit incorrect.

Now McDouchebag is saying it's going to take another five? Just how incompetent is our military?
Our military is quite competent, and is doing an amazing job given the conditions...the competency of our political leaders is another question entirely.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
The only thing missing in this fairy tale is the once upon a time and the they lived happily ever after. It would be nice if it would happen, but what seems totally missing here is a plan to see it happens.

GWB also had a plan, when it fell apart early on, the collective set of republirats still seem to be totally unable to formulate any plan B to date.

Where is the step by step plan to make this happen? Maybe optimism is a virtue, but its not a plan. It sounds like more GWB stay the course in search of a new slogan. Even I have to admit the surge was a brilliant slogan, but now that we are going to have to de surge, its a question of a new slogan. Can peace with honor be far behind?

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
I'd have more respect for McCain if he could admit that invading Iraq was a mistake. Otherwise, how can I as a voter be sure he'd not make the same mistake again?

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre
I'd have more respect for McCain if he could admit that invading Iraq was a mistake. Otherwise, how can I as a voter be sure he'd not make the same mistake again?

I could swear I heard McCain say knowing what we know now the original invasion was a mistake but now that we're there we've got to 'win it'. This was on the Jon Stewart show a few years ago. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

When McCain got blasted for his 100 years comment, he argued we would have troops in Iraq the way we do in Germany. Opponents cited, correctly, that Iraq ain't Germany. So how can you now point to our war with Germany and compare it to Iraq?

When someone else loses in your eyes whatever they say, examine your own views for bias.

Foxery

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2008
Pshhh. Surely a typo by his speechwriter! You're supposed to promise things will happen before the next election process; then in 2012, promise that you'll only finish it if elected a 2nd time.

This part made me do a double take:
Hmm. Maybe he thinks we can just plant and grow 20-year old people on demand, like food crops. This fantasy world intrigues me!

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: eskimospy

Why are you relating Germany's invasion of Poland to how long it took the US to invade, occupy and rebuild Germany? Oh, and the war in the Pacific started in 1937 according to who!? Are you referring to some Japanese action in China? Again, why would Japan's actions in China have any bearing on how long it took the US to do something?

These are exceptionally dishonest metrics, even from you man. Even comparing the dates of declaration of war by Germany and Japan on the US is not particularly telling as actual large scale hostilities took a long time to happen afterwards due to distance as opposed to Iraq in which they were instantaneous, but at least it's as good a start date to pick as any. To base our war metrics on wars with third parties is just dumb.
ummm go back re-read his post.

He said "longer than it took to topple both Germany and Japan in WW2" which is not correct as I pointed out.

And WW 2 in the Pacific did start in 1937, or do we only count it as a war if our forces are involved?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

ummm go back re-read his post.

He said "longer than it took to topple both Germany and Japan in WW2" which is not correct as I pointed out.

And WW 2 in the Pacific did start in 1937, or do we only count it as a war if our forces are involved?

Except that he was obviously speaking about US involvement in World War 2 because we're talking about US policy and US politics. You are just conveniently ignoring this. To choose 1937 as the beginning of the war in the Pacific is again, really really dishonest. Why not choose 1931 instead? That's when Japan invaded Manchuria. That's when the conflict really started. Hell, why not choose 1914 for Europe? Everyone always says World War 2 was just an extension of the first.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Dari
lol

Prophecy with intent? McSeemy has been listenng to too much Bush speak.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001

I really don't care about his hope, belief or guarantees. Tell us your plan to make all these things happen, and I can evaluate the likelihood on my own.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: yowolabi

I really don't care about his hope, belief or guarantees. Tell us your plan to make all these things happen, and I can evaluate the likelihood on my own.
I don't think you are going to be happy with either candidate since Obama is all "hope" and no plan.

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Robor
Originally posted by: bamacre

I could swear I heard McCain say knowing what we know now the original invasion was a mistake but now that we're there we've got to 'win it'. This was on the Jon Stewart show a few years ago. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIC6CfxKWTs

MR. RUSSERT: If you had known then, if the intelligence came out and said, "We know that Saddam Hussein does not have biological or chemical or a nuclear program," would you still have voted to authorize the war?

SEN. McCAIN: Well, obviously, given information that we have changes your decision-making process. But Saddam Hussein was still a threat. The sanctions were breaking down. There was a multibillion dollar Oil for Food scandal in the United Nations. Every day, American airplanes were being shot at. Saddam Hussein had used and required weapons of mass destruction in the past, and there was no doubt there was going to be in the future. The problem in Iraq, my friend, was not whether we went in or not, it's the way it was mishandled after the initial invasion.

MR. RUSSERT: But, Senator, it's an important question -- President Bush has said, "Even if I knew he did not have biological, chemical, or a nuclear program, I still would go into Iraq to topple Saddam Hussein." Would you have?

SEN. McCAIN: Yes, but the point is, that if we had done it right, it's been well chronicled in many books, you and I wouldn't even be discussing that now-- the mishandling after the war.

Look, I met with a high-ranking former al Qaeda operative in Iraq recently, and I asked him, "How did you succeed?" He said, "The lawlessness after the initial invasion and Abu Ghraib," and so they were able to recruit people because of the disorder and the mishandling. So you would not be asking me if it had been mishandled. You would have said because we succeeded and established the stable Iraq, you'd have said, "Aren't you glad we went in because Saddam Hussein, one of the most brutal, most terrible dictators in history who fought in several wars, used weapons of mass destruction, invaded this neighbor, is now gone from the world scene." That's what you'd be saying.

MR. RUSSERT: I think there would be a debate amongst the American people if we were told he did not have biological, chemical, or nuclear weapons.

SEN. McCAIN: If frogs had wings -- look, Tim, we can talk about lots of hypotheticals. Would we have stopped Saddam Hussein from going into Kuwait back in '91 when he went in? Would we have said that the Chinese aren't going to cross -- if we had known that the Chinese were going to cross the Yalu in the Korean War, would we have done it differently?

I'd love to get into thousands of historical hypotheticals -- inaudible -- but what we knew at the time, and the information we had at the time, then every single intelligence agency in the world believed he had weapons of mass destruction.

MR. RUSSERT: So, bottom line, the war was not a mistake.

SEN. McCAIN: The war, "the invasion" was not a mistake. The handling of the war was a terrible mistake.